3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Stupid low fuel light

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2018, 04:45 PM
5 Year Member
Stupid low fuel light

Today I drove almost ten miles past zero and still managed to get only 9.2 gallons into the 10.6 gallon tank. I probably could've gotten a bit more in if I waited for the gas to settle but there was someone waiting for the pump.

What's the farthest past zero you've driven in your GK Fit? And how much gas did it take?

Old 06-01-2018, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member
The most I've ever filled is 10.02 gallons.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:23 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
wife did like 9.7 gal at one point. she said it was kinda exciting.

Old 06-01-2018, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member
Have never been able to get in maybe 9.6 gals at the most...and that was way after "empty"

Old 06-01-2018, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
Yep.
I can't remember if I actually made a thread about this issue and/or have participated in threads about this issue...maybe both.
But my 2016 Honda Fit gas gauge is the most conservative gas gauge I have ever dealt with.

I don't like to offer specifics if only because I don't want someone to read my post, try doing the same thing, and then run out of gas and be stranded.

But suffice it to say, Yep, I feel the warning light,...the entire gauge is VERY, VERY conservative.

Old 06-01-2018, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
I'm more interested in how far past zero people have gone (FYI it stops at zero, doesn't go into negative numbers, so you'd have to zero your odometer or remember when it hit zero).

Old 06-01-2018, 07:30 PM
5 Year Member
I ignore the amber gas up icon. I have driven more than 6 miles without any bars showing. In that situation, I can fill 11.3+ gallons of gas. Yes, I do top off until I see gas in the neck, and I don't need any advice or concerns here, thank you. The Fit mpg indicator is typically 2.5 mpg optimistic when you drive until the tank is nearly empty. A good way to knowing when to fill the tank is to multiply the Fit mpg estimate by 10. Example, if the mpg indicator shows 45 mpg, fill the tank when you have droven 450 miles.

Last edited by wasserball; 06-01-2018 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:15 PM
5 Year Member
On my ‘07 5AT one day...

On May 31, 2016, I drove several miles after the warning light came on.
After going 489 miles on that tank, I was able to top it off with 13.94 gallons that day. I fill till I see gas in the neck.
With this info, I calculated that my light comes on with about a 2.6 gallon reserve.

Old 06-02-2018, 09:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
I don't like to offer specifics if only because I don't want someone to read my post, try doing the same thing, and then run out of gas and be stranded.
I wish I had x ray vision to see what's floating in that tank.

I ran out of gas in the winter time ... right in front of the gas station... 75kms after the gas gauge ran out of indication bars. My jerry can saved the day.

Another time I did not run out of gas, but I managed a solid 106kms. Gassed up with just over 40 liters of fuel.

My 2012 civic ran out of gas too a few winters ago. Must have been too much ethanol in that blend since I did not even pull 50kms past empty. And you guessed it ... that's when I bought my 5 liter jerry can.

Old 06-02-2018, 10:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CommanderSlug
I wish I had x ray vision to see what's floating in that tank.

I ran out of gas in the winter time ... right in front of the gas station... 75kms after the gas gauge ran out of indication bars. My jerry can saved the day.

Another time I did not run out of gas, but I managed a solid 106kms. Gassed up with just over 40 liters of fuel.

My 2012 civic ran out of gas too a few winters ago. Must have been too much ethanol in that blend since I did not even pull 50kms past empty. And you guessed it ... that's when I bought my 5 liter jerry can.
That's the thing.
My personal experience with this 2016 Honda Fit, is the gauge is very, very conservative.

But I don't really want to "share" how far I've gone.....

Because I don't want to inadvertently lure someone into trying the same and have that person run out of gas. Which can be dangerous on many levels.

I think you have to figure out your cars "quirks" or reality in this regard for yourself and adjust accordingly.

Keeping track of where you gauge says it's at...and how much gasoline you are actually putting in at fill up...is the best way to know.

But conservative or not? Running out of gasoline should be avoided.
I'd rather fill up....with plenty left in the tank...then NOT fill up and be stranded or run out of gasoline at an dangerous or inopportune time.

If I fill up early? Then it's just a cheaper fill up for my pocketbook. I can easily accept that.

Old 06-02-2018, 11:04 AM
5 Year Member
huh, 14 gallons in a fit sounds weird. thought it was like a 11gal tank. probably got ripped off.

Old 06-02-2018, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
huh, 14 gallons in a fit sounds weird. thought it was like a 11gal tank. probably got ripped off.
Yeah, sounds weird all right. The tank is supposed to be 10.6 gal/40 liters, so that's A LOT of extra fuel. Does the filler tube really hold 3+ gallons? Wow.

Old 06-02-2018, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
lol'ed! hahahaha faking giraffe of a tank.

Old 06-02-2018, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by fitchet
That's the thing.
My personal experience with this 2016 Honda Fit, is the gauge is very, very conservative.

But I don't really want to "share" how far I've gone.....

Because I don't want to inadvertently lure someone into trying the same and have that person run out of gas. Which can be dangerous on many levels.

I think you have to figure out your cars "quirks" or reality in this regard for yourself and adjust accordingly.

Keeping track of where you gauge says it's at...and how much gasoline you are actually putting in at fill up...is the best way to know.

But conservative or not? Running out of gasoline should be avoided.
I'd rather fill up....with plenty left in the tank...then NOT fill up and be stranded or run out of gasoline at an dangerous or inopportune time.

If I fill up early? Then it's just a cheaper fill up for my pocketbook. I can easily accept that.
Well the manual says the low fuel light comes on when there is 1.6 gallons or less in the tank. The range it displays is based on current driving not on the average for the tank, at least from my impression.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
Today I drove almost ten miles past zero and still managed to get only 9.2 gallons into the 10.6 gallon tank. I probably could've gotten a bit more in if I waited for the gas to settle but there was someone waiting for the pump.

What's the farthest past zero you've driven in your GK Fit? And how much gas did it take?
None of the fuel/range indicators are accurate, on the good side of conservative. The orange gas can icon is very, very conservative … when it comes on, I have at least 60 more miles (min. 2 gallons). The bars are slightly more accurate, but still conservative. Zero miles range means the same as the icon. All of them are WAGs (Wild Ass Guesses). None are SWAGs (Scientific Wild Ass Guesses) The most I've ever put in the tank is 10 gallons. I fill to cut off and then continue to nearest quarter. Never had over flow.
Caution: Personal experience, not to be taken as absolute.

Old 06-09-2018, 12:36 PM
5 Year Member
Considering the fuel pump is in the tank, does driving on near empty strain the pump at all?

Old 06-09-2018, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gekisen
Considering the fuel pump is in the tank, does driving on near empty strain the pump at all?
Crank time when I ran out of gas was about 6 seconds in my estimate. It felt about three times longer than a normal start-up. So for sure there must be some unnecessary strain since there is a high pressure fuel pump and also a low pressure one inside the tank.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:26 PM
I’m the kind of guy that doesn’t want to take chances, and be stupid. I fill up after it reaches 1/4 tank regardless....Period.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SR45
I’m the kind of guy that doesn’t want to take chances, and be stupid. I fill up after it reaches 1/4 tank regardless....Period.
right, i too just fill around 1/4 on all my cars. there are much more important things to worry about in life than gas remaining in a fit. lol

Old 06-10-2018, 07:44 AM
Originally Posted by Gekisen
https://www.google.com/search?newwin....0.FUtrh3Vvp4c

Quick Reply: Stupid low fuel light