3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Sitting in the middle of traffic with a dead car waiting for a tow truck...

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 10:19 AM
Sitting in the middle of traffic with a dead car waiting for a tow truck...

EDIT: HAHAHA I'll update this when I get home. You guys will die when you hear what happened. It's good news!

UPDATE: Okay so here's what happened. My SO is driving and we're going to the store, right out of the driveway the car sounds funny... like it's revving. It stops eventually but when we're on the road we get to an intersection and stop at a red light. Horrible revving sound when he puts on the brake. I tell him to turn off the car and put it in park with the hazards on.....He turns the car back on and it's making a horrible revving sound... the RPM's are up to 4. He can't get the car to move from park....shifter won't budge. Oh no. Cars are passing us getting pissed off because we're literally in the middle of the road. My SO calls Roadside Assistance and they call for a tow truck. Finally a cop stops to help and he can't figure it out either. That's when I look down to discover.....

OUR HUSKY FLOOR MAT WAS COVERING THE GAS! WTF! We were cleaning the car out yesterday and he must've installed the mat wrong. How he didn't feel it under his feet is a mystery.

So yeah, our car is fine.

Last edited by Pumpkintacos; 06-04-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:38 PM
5 Year Member
Yikes. Husky has two little screw slot things that keep the mats in place. It's a good idea to use them.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Yikes. Husky has two little screw slot things that keep the mats in place. It's a good idea to use them.
Believe it or not the screws WERE in place, but they are on the bottom, the top portion is what was covering the gas pedal. He just flat out did not install it correctly, he didn't put it under the gas pedal right. Believe me from now on I'm going to be the one installing the floor mats.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
Well, when you're searching for your next husband one of the screening tools which you can now use is to park the car in the driveway, pile a bunch of mats on the ground beside it and tell the prospective candidate that this task involves selecting the correct mats and properly installing them in the car.

Old 06-04-2018, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by woof
Well, when you're searching for your next husband one of the screening tools which you can now use is to park the car in the driveway, pile a bunch of mats on the ground beside it and tell the prospective candidate that this task involves selecting the correct mats and properly installing them in the car.
That's amazing

Old 06-04-2018, 03:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Pumpkintacos
Believe it or not the screws WERE in place, but they are on the bottom, the top portion is what was covering the gas pedal. He just flat out did not install it correctly, he didn't put it under the gas pedal right. Believe me from now on I'm going to be the one installing the floor mats.
Weathertech floorliners can be put in overlapping the accelerator pedal too if you’re not paying attention.

Old 06-04-2018, 05:43 PM
I've had my Husky mats do the same, but I knew right away what the problem was.

I've also had this happen on my 2000 Integra. I know the real redline was a few hundred rpm's more than indicated.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:04 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
geez u couldve killed urselves getting rear ended in the middle lane. next time at least push the car off to the side of the road.

Old 06-04-2018, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by kenchan
geez u couldve killed urselves getting rear ended in the middle lane. next time at least push the car off to the side of the road.
Couldn't move the car out of Park so car couldn't have been pushed. Would've been more unsafe to get out of the car during heavy traffic.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:02 PM
5 Year Member
u can't hit the start button (might need to hit it twice) without pressing the brake and then press brake and shift into N?

basically turning on the car without starting the engine.

Old 06-04-2018, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
ur steering should work too at this point.. and ur a/c.. do it too long and u got a dead battery. lol

Old 06-05-2018, 07:18 AM
The reason it wouldn't shift period was because the gas pedal was being pressed by the floor mat and nobody realized it.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
I was talking about next time. try it. should shift out of park and have steering. don’t be sitting in the middle of traffic endangering ur selves and others and holding up traffic. u seem to think ure the victim here but it is the others too who had to deal with ur stupid.

Old 06-05-2018, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
My 4Runner has an open recall because there was a spate of vehicles a few years ago that had issues with floor mats. Apparently people were putting their all weather floor mats on top of the carpetted ones. This would raise the mats enough that if you stepped on the gas hard enough it would get stuck in the downward position.

Toyota's fix was to trim the accelerator pedal to prevent it from happening.

Needless to say, my 4Runner has not been modified as I see it as a non-issue.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:40 PM
I was talking about next time. try it. should shift out of park and have steering. don’t be sitting in the middle of traffic endangering ur selves and others and holding up traffic. u seem to think ure the victim here but it is the others too who had to deal with ur stupid.
Lol thanks

Old 06-05-2018, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Pumpkintacos
Lol thanks
no, it's not funny. be mindful of others or just stay off the roads. people like u dat think life is a faking joke cause accidents and congestion.

Old 06-05-2018, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
That's not too funny.
Glad nobody was injured, hurt or even killed.
Don't mean to be "snarky" but improperly installed floor mats have caused serious accidents, occasionally resulting in deaths.
It should be taken seriously.

Last edited by fitchet; 06-05-2018 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 07:35 PM
no, it's not funny. be mindful of others or just stay off the roads. people like u dat think life is a faking joke cause accidents and congestion.
I was being mindful. An asshole wouldn't have even bothered putting hazards on. I did what I could in the moment, like I said the car wouldn't move and the cops couldn't move it either.