3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

20 minutes after getting new 2018 Honda Fit, bump stock goes missing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 09:43 AM
20 minutes after getting new 2018 Honda Fit, bump stop goes missing?

So we bought a new 2018 Honda Fit on Thursday from a dealer (10 miles on the car) - it was about a 40 mile drive to get the car. Driving home, about halfway through, we start hearing a loud, constant metal-on-metal sound emanating from the rear undercarriage of the vehicle. I thought for sure that it must be one of the spare tire tools that simply wasn't in place and was banging around. After getting home and not being able to figure out the source of the noise, took it to a closer dealer who said one of the rear shocks was missing the bump stop. Being that the first half of the drive when we got the car was normal, somehow the bump stop must have broken off during our ride. In looking at the schematics of the vehicle, and considering what a bump stop does and what it's made of, that seems virtually impossible - but it is really the only explanation. Has anyone ever heard of this, or have any thoughts on how this could happen?

Last edited by eryeal; 07-07-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:10 AM
5 Year Member
I assume you are talking about the bump stop, as a bump stock is used on a firearm to increase it's rate of fire. That being said, I don't see how it's possible for this to just go missing, unless it was never there to begin with (also unlikely).

Old 07-07-2018, 10:13 AM
Originally Posted by Lane03
I assume you are talking about the bump stop, as a bump stock is used on a firearm to increase it's rate of fire. That being said, I don't see how it's possible for this to just go missing, unless it was never there to begin with (also unlikely).
Wow yes thanks for catching that mistake - I corrected it. Agreed that it's very strange, but it's with near certainty that it must have been there initially as without it there is a pretty constant banging, even on flat terrain.

Old 07-07-2018, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
Well, if it was definitely there before and it's gone now, then that's a pretty big manufacturing defect, or it was somehow badly damaged during transit. Still, I've never seen one just disappear let alone after only 20 minutes.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:30 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
bump stops are usually 2 injection pieces either glued or sonic welded together, i think.. so if the weld was bad, i suppose it could split into the two halves and fall off.

ive never heard of dis, but ure talking about a car and parts made in mexico.. i lost complete confidence in honda mexico's products so chances are, ure other ones will also fall off soon. lol

Old 07-07-2018, 11:44 AM
5 Year Member
You are probably not going to be able to ever definitively know exactly what happened.
But this is not a commonly reported problem or incident. At least not yet.

If this isn't simply an unfortunate 1 time incident, and it represents a manufacturing mistake or run of parts defect, I would expect more incidents like this would be reported. I'd keep an eye open within this site to see if any more incidents like this get reported.

None of this opinion and speculation helps.

Being an absolutely brand new vehicle, what I would want at this point is a inspection of the entire suspension system.

I have no idea HOW a brand new vehicle ends up without it's bump stop in less than 40 miles of driving.
But you want to make sure that is the only problem and that there is nothing else wrong with the suspension.

Old 07-07-2018, 11:55 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
None of this opinion and speculation helps.
sure it does. know wat ure about to get urself into from veterans like me. honda owes my wife and me an apology for the quality of my GK.

Old 07-07-2018, 12:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
sure it does. know wat ure about to get urself into from veterans like me. honda owes my wife and me an apology for the quality of my GK.
What I'm saying is nobody is probably ever going to be able to determine exactly HOW the vehicle ended up without a bump stop.
If more reports come in?
Otherwise it is, what it is.

IMO what is important to the OP is determining the condition of the vehicle right now, as a whole.

Old 07-07-2018, 04:05 PM
5 Year Member
at least dey didnt find a beer bottle in the doors.. lol

Old 07-08-2018, 12:48 AM
The symptoms don't fit the diagnosis I think. Perhaps the bump stop is missing but the constant noise you are hearing can't be caused just by the lack of a bump stop. The bump stop is only used as the suspension compresses, over large bumps and such that compress the suspension near the limits of its travel. While traveling on smooth ground the bump stop isn't doing anything but just sitting there....or not sitting there, as in your case.

Edit: the above is just my opinion. I could be wrong, I'd like to know what is causing the noise and if it is the missing bump stop...how does it cause that noise.

Last edited by Nord-Est; 07-08-2018 at 12:58 AM.
Old 07-08-2018, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member

It's not the suspension bump stop everyone is thinking of.
#4 in the parts diagram above is probably what OP is dealing with.

It's a urethane bushing that isolates the shocks upper mounting washer from the cars body.
The bushing probably either broke or slipped out of place, now the upper shock mount is free to make contact against the body.

I say 'lost' because it was most likely there at the start, if it wasn't there there should have been obvious wrong noise from the very beginning.

Let the dealer handle it under warranty.

OP, why didn't you purchase from the closest dealer?