3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

are the 2015s really that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 09:50 AM
5 Year Member
My 2015 never left me stranded for the 80k miles/3 years I owned it for. 6MT. Dealer did injectors, coil plugs, rusty door brackets. Saggy front bumper was never fixed so I learned to just live with it. Oh ... and also ... VTC rattles every cold start. Battery & starter never let me down. Suspension was toast after 3 years, but not completely shot (i.e. very worn out). I did all maintenance myself... namely: oil & filter, transmission fluid and misc items like wipers and coolant top off. Overall was happy with the car, but after it started eating up oil I knew it's time to show it out the door.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CommanderSlug
My 2015 never left me stranded for the 80k miles/3 years I owned it for. 6MT. Dealer did injectors, coil plugs, rusty door brackets. Saggy front bumper was never fixed so I learned to just live with it. Oh ... and also ... VTC rattles every cold start. Battery & starter never let me down. Suspension was toast after 3 years, but not completely shot (i.e. very worn out). I did all maintenance myself... namely: oil & filter, transmission fluid and misc items like wipers and coolant top off. Overall was happy with the car, but after it started eating up oil I knew it's time to show it out the door.
I'd say that fits the definition of not a good car!

In comparison our GD is closing in on 200k miles with one new coil and a new fuel pump. Everything else is just maintenance and the motor sounds perfect and doesn't burn a drop of oil.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by woof
Not true. Most of the 2017 North American Fits were built in Japan and then production moved back to Mexico for 2018, 2019 models. The Fit was moved to Japan to squeeze the HR-V start up production into the Mexico plant - it lacked the capacity to build both Fits and HR-V at that time and the HR-V won out. Capacity has obviously since been increased since Mexico now makes both cars.
It’s my understanding that the few manual transmission Fits as well as the EX-L continued to be sourced from Mexico even while most US Fit production was transferred to Japan for ‘16 and ‘17. Can somebody prove me wrong? Does anybody own or know of a “J-vin” manual GK or EX-L?

Old 07-25-2018, 02:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bach
Original owner of January 2015 build EX 6MT here, a bit over 36K on the odometer. Had the door recall. Car has been great for 3+ years now. My only nagging concern is the grind I hear in about one in 20 starts..

That grinding sound is the the VTC acutator, it's common when turning the ignition on a cold start. Get it fixed before your drivetrain warranty expires. It's a known issue across most Hondas. Get Honda corporate involved if dealer refuses to fix it.

Last edited by sixth; 07-25-2018 at 02:43 AM.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:09 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
oh mang... u guys should hear dat rattle on my GK with da door open or while under da car. whorely faking hell! SO LOUD! it happens ever time da engine is cold on mine..so like every am. lol

i see neighbors looking over when i start da GK.. so embarrassing.

Old 07-25-2018, 09:59 AM
Honda bought mine back from me because of ongoing issues that they could not fix. They replaced all of the drive line/suspension/bearings on the LH side trying to stop it from creaking. Finally a "Tech" from HQ came out and we drove the car together.... He had it in the shop another week and he couldn't figure it.

Not to mention that cold start flutter/rattle that was deemed " Normal"...

Old 08-02-2018, 02:51 PM
Bought a 15 CVT EX new, was the last one on the lot, 16's came out a month later, not sure if that makes a deal but my wifes at 65,000 miles and I have not done a thing to the car. added an HPS intake, oil changes, tires at 50k, still on factory brake pads.

Old 08-02-2018, 04:56 PM
So far I haven't had a problem with mine. I just rolled 40k miles and I haven't had anything go wrong so far. That being said I haven't even had the car for a whole year yet so only time will tell.

Old 08-02-2018, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CommanderSlug
Overall was happy with the car, but after it started eating up oil I knew it's time to show it out the door.
how much oil were you losing?

Old 08-02-2018, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member
Bought a Mexico made (assembled?) 6-spd MT in July 2015, 36K miles. Only gripes are wind noise in the cabin and the awkward gear ratios (this coming from an owner of a --sadly deceased-- 5 speed '89 CRX Si). Otherwise, perfect for my modest requirements and totally reliable.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
how much oil were you losing?
When the days were good (i.e. 1st two years or so) it was great: eating up about half qt every 7000 miles. 3rd year, however, things started going downhill... after going beyond 60k miles: eating oil got down and dirty to half qt every 1500 miles or so. This happend fairly gradually. It was not showing signs of getting any better nor staying steady ... it was steadily getting worst. So after 60k miles I was just topping off oil and did only 1 more filter change. To be noted that I drove the 6mt and kept the engine rev happy throughout its life. I have the CVT now and I am definitely noticing barely any oil consumption given the ridiculously low rpms relative to how I drove the 6MT. Thanks for asking; I hope yours holds up the test of time.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:37 PM
5 Year Member
43k on ours, not a SINGLE thing wrong with it, runs smooth and perfect.

I have a wheel bearing noise from the left rear, but it miiiight just be the shitty stock tires that came on it that are on their way out. We did go from 13K a year and a half ago to 43k now, (My wife drives back and forth to LA every 2 weeks on average for her medical study, so the miles did suddenly pile up quick.)

That's the only negative I can think of and it's not really confirmed yet anyways.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:58 PM
5 Year Member
How much tread depth do you have left on the tires? 43K miles is actually reasonably good for the original tires. I've seen posts from people who have replaced them long before that.

Old 02-09-2019, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by exl500
I own a very early 2015 EX. So far (28k miles), in four years it has been perfect. Look at a site like True Delta, and the statistics bear out my experience.
35k, still perfect.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:01 PM
I have a Mexican built 2015 Fit with 23k miles on it. Haven't done any of the recalled items on it. Front bumper does sag a quarter of an inch more than I'd want. There was a black wrapped cable that stuck up between the glass and the dash by the A pillar on the driver's side, but I tucked it in with a plastic tool. Changed the arm rests to the Japanese version and swapped the "chrome" gate garnish for the LX black version, changed the wheels.

The air conditioning sucks, but other than that it has been fantastic and I still love every minute of having her.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by schoonyman
I've been hearing a lot of warnings to stay away from the 2015's. Is there really much validity to this? Who owns a '15 out there? I'm not afraid of Mexico build quality. I know they had problems there but it's still a Honda factory. Thoughts?
Even my dealer admitted that the injectors in the 2015s were not very good. He wanted to replace mine for $1,000+. We spent about $700 trying to get the Check Engine light turned off. Two weeks after it passed state inspection, the light came back on. Fortunately, the car was totaled.

On my other Fit, the LaneWatch camera started acting up when the car was two weeks old. It took the dealer 2 1/2 years to fix it. The rear view camera stopped working. I replaced it myself for $168.

I had two Civics, and I kept each for seventeen years. Except for normal maintenance and parts wearing out, I had no trouble with them. It seems that profit is more important to Honda than reliability. A new keyless entry module costs about $350. Some plastic parts for the side view mirrors cost $250 - had to be replaced twice after being hit by passing cars. Prices are ridiculous.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:04 AM
5 Year Member
64,000 miles on mine now. Car continues to run well despite the occasional VTEC rattle on cold starts (not often enough to get the dealer to hear it and the power train warranty has expired).

I’m in a bit of a quandary regarding my next car. I really love this car. There isn’t much of anything else out there so small on the outside, with such room inside, great fuel economy and “fun to drive” factor. On the other hand, reports here of continuing quality issues and Honda’s cavalier attitude toward rectifying them makes me cautious about buying another Honda product.

Old 02-20-2019, 06:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
I’m in a bit of a quandary regarding my next car.
You might have trouble finding a new Fit. You'll see dealers showing them on their web sites, but they don't actually have them. I tried all over the northeast, with every dealer showing several Fits on their web sites, but none on the lot. The local dealer said he'd get one in "a day or two." That turned into 32 days. When we said we'd have to go next door and buy a Subaru, he gave us a loaner.

There seems to be a shift in management philosophy at Honda, and not for the better.

Old 02-20-2019, 02:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
You might have trouble finding a new Fit. You'll see dealers showing them on their web sites, but they don't actually have them. I tried all over the northeast, with every dealer showing several Fits on their web sites, but none on the lot. The local dealer said he'd get one in "a day or two." That turned into 32 days. When we said we'd have to go next door and buy a Subaru, he gave us a loaner.

There seems to be a shift in management philosophy at Honda, and not for the better.
I actually saw a new Fit on the lot at my local dealer the other day. The first one I’d seen in nearly a year. I find it interesting that all this past year I’d keep seeing ads for the Fit. It’s a bit disingenuous to me, if not downright fraudulent for a car company to continually advertise a car they aren’t building and can’t deliver. Well, in my opinion, anyway.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary

I find it interesting that all this past year I’d keep seeing ads for the Fit. It’s a bit disingenuous to me, if not downright fraudulent for a car company to continually advertise a car they aren’t building and can’t deliver. Well, in my opinion, anyway.
Your opinion is correct. When my son's 2015 Fit was totaled, I looked throughout the northeast for a Fit. Dealers had them all over their web sites, but they didn't have any.

Quick Reply: are the 2015s really that bad?