3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2019 Fit Sound Deadening Campaign

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2018, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by UnFitRick
Speaking of the butyl sheets, I just ordered what should be enough to do the 4 doors, along with some foam baffles for the door speakers. While replacing the door speakers (after a few days of rain), I found the backs of the speakers to be wet...
Link or more details about those baffles?
I'm all about keeping my electronics dry

Old 08-02-2018, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
I presume, among other things, the older Fits didn't have that funky fabric-like liner material in the wheel wells and underneath? Someone here said their new 2018 Fit LX didn't have it either? Speaking of the wheel well liners, my intent is to remove them, undercoat and re-install the liners, probably......
So the GK started in 2015, so I can only speak for GK's. The LX does not get the fender liners. The 2015 through 2017 all have the plastic belly pan, but only the EX and EX-L got the fender liners. The 2018-19's are still GK's, but they got some subtle updates. Same rules apply on which cars got fender liners, but a huge change was the belly pan went from smooth plastic to the same synthetic fiber weirdness that they use on the fender well liners. I am yet to hear about an older GK getting the newer GK belly pan but I bet it would be an awesome sound deadening mod.

Credit to Car & Driver:
For 2018, Honda aimed to hone the Fit’s chassis to quell bobbing, reduce noise levels, enhance the steering’s linearity, and elevate its overall sense of nimbleness. Honda added structural braces around and under the body, swapped the shell-style steering-pinion bearing for a solid one, and installed retuned dampers. It also used thicker acoustic materials inside the doors, wheel arches, and pillars, while new layers of soundproofing materials pad the dashboard and the floor. To reduce wind noise, the new Fit gets an acoustically insulating windshield and thicker front quarter-windows. Remarkably, despite these refinements, weight is essentially a wash between the new and old cars, according to Honda.

Old 08-02-2018, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by magnet18
Link or more details about those baffles?
I'm all about keeping my electronics dry
I bought two sets of these XTC baffles, and another box of the Noico mat; should be here on Sat.

Old 08-02-2018, 07:00 PM
5 Year Member
I've made some investment in trying to quiet my 2012, so I can definitely appreciate the desire to address the irritation of interior noise ...

"It also used thicker acoustic materials inside the doors, wheel arches, and pillars, while new layers of soundproofing materials pad the dashboard and the floor. To reduce wind noise, the new Fit gets an acoustically insulating windshield and thicker front quarter-windows. "

These things would make a huge difference in any car. Only a few of them can be ported to an existing car; for example acoustic windshield or extra acoustic materials in the A-pillars (which contain an air bag! don't stuff anything in there!). I can assure you the GE would not be as quiet as a car with these things. Believe it or not there IS some soundproofing on the GE, just not as much as there should be --- whether to keep costs down or get you interested in trading up to an Accord one day, it's hard to tell. I wouldn't be totally surprised if the LX model of the GK lacks some of those features.

Good luck!

Old 08-02-2018, 10:54 PM
Including the undercoating I will have spent ~$180 on the effort. I would like to point out that my primary reason for the effort was to quiet the interior of the car (yes, the Bisimoto was the catalyst for the effort).......... I am honestly a little surprised at the decidedly negative tone of the feedback this effort has received; everybody's got opinions...
Okay, my comment was not intended to come across as negative.
And while I have no illusions as to my Fit's econobox nature, I find it more than acceptable in terms of interior noise.
I was under the impression that you are doing it all to quieten the exhaust noise level of the Bisimoto. Which seemed odd, since I thought you bought it for the sound.
But it's all good, its just my opinion and that's why I got the Tanabe instead of the PulseChamber - I really liked the sound, but was afraid it will be too much.
And as it turns out, I wasn't wrong.
I can see how Bisimoto can work for a weekend getaway/track car, but for a daily driver... not so much.
And thanks to honest reviews and factual info (like yours) we learn stuff like this.
Like they say - it's better to learn from someone else's mistakes than those of your own.
Once again, my apologies if my comment appears negative. It was not.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:39 PM
5 Year Member
I finished (well almost) my sound deadening campaign this weekend. I went ahead and and applied sound deadening to all doors. While the door panels were off I also installed some XTC speaker baffles to keep my speakers dry and "tighten them up".

I also finally got around to undercoating the back end of the car. I pulled the rear wheels, the exhaust and exhaust heat shield, the rear wheel well liners, and a few other trim pieces. Then I masked off other stuff, shocks, springs, fuel fittings, and a few other odds and ends. Originally I had planned to sand everything before applying the undercoating, but that seemed like a lot of work.

Ultimately I just wiped everything down with acetone and went for it. I used 6 aerosol cans of Rustoleum Pro Rubberized Undercoating. I still need to reinstall the wheel well liners but other than that I am calling this effort complete.

Here is a pic of the Fit on my yummy Max Jax. The is a "half height" lift and will get a car four feet off the ground. The posts are screwed into anchors installed in the garage floor. The posts have rollers on the backs of the bases, so when the job is done, the lift can be rolled into a corner...

I didn't take many pics; it was a hot and messy job. Here is a before and after...

So,,, Is the interior of my car quieter? Yup, it is "way quieter" (not a very scientific term I know). I haven't driven it since doing the undercoating, but I did drive it this morning after finishing up the doors. All the individual efforts made a difference, but combined they really add up. Was it worth it? For me, definitely... My Bisimoto exhaust is well within livable sound pressure limits for me, my interior is much quieter, and my recently upgraded audio system sounds amazing (way better...). YMMV...

Old 08-05-2018, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
Incredible work, Rick. Really appreciate you detailing all of this.
And the Max Jax is on my list now..... never heard of that one, and assumed my garage didn't have a tall enough ceiling for a lift.

Old 08-06-2018, 07:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Alfa38
Incredible work, Rick. Really appreciate you detailing all of this.
And the Max Jax is on my list now..... never heard of that one, and assumed my garage didn't have a tall enough ceiling for a lift.
The Max Jax is a really good piece of gear. I've had it about four years, and it has never let me (or my cars...) down. My purchase and install thread are here. Once the anchors are installed in a garage floor, the lift can be wheeled out of a corner, fully set up and ready to go in ~15 minutes.

The pic in this thread is my lift set up in my neighbor's (and good friend's) garage. That's another nice feature of the lift; it is portable and movable (and sharable). My garage is currently a disaster area; wife and I are in process of building a Skoolie (converting school bus into a tiny house...), and the garage has been overwhelmed with tools, materials, and other bus stuff.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:07 PM
5 Year Member
2015 Fit. I just shove some carpet underlayment material around perifery of spare tire, then put 1/2 inch foam "mat" in cargo area instead of a carpet mat or custom plastic cargo area mat. The styrene foam thing that sits on top of the spare tire is already providing some sound deadening, is it not? However to remove the spare, I have to remove lots of this underlayment material, and put it back around the spare when I put the spare back in. Also, I cut little pieces of yoga mat and stuffed them in, in the area that is covered with the "flaps" when when the rear seat seat-backs are folded down. Around where the hinges are for the seat backs. Several little pieces tucked into nooks and crannies. I didn't really notice any difference in sound. I am too lazy I guess to take off door panels and put insulation of some sort in door. Lots of the noise comes from wind blowing around the windshield and the side windows. Apparently newer models they increased the thickness of the windshield glass, and the little sidelight triangles of glass, added insulation in the doors, and perhaps in wheel wells. Not sure what I can do about the wind noise. Maybe fill some gaps up with some kind of caulking. The HVAC fan makes quite a racket on 4, and on 3 too. You need the high speed fan to cool off with AC. Also, the CVT makes a lot of noise when you are accelerating rapid, for example when passing or accelerating onto limited access highway from on-ramp. The engine revving up to near red-line doesn't seem to be very loud. Nice little engine with a nice tone. I tend to think it is the CVT going through the process of gradually decreasing the pulley ratio, that is speaking rather loudly, with an unpleasant tone. It's worth hearing that racket though, to see that cars which are slowing down to let me in, or moving to the left to let me in, end up being far far behind me by the time I am actually merge in - seeing that they slowed down or moved to the left unnecessarily.

Last edited by nomenclator; 08-06-2018 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-06-2018, 04:02 PM
nice jack. can you record a video (youtube?) at highway speed? i'm curious how much road noise all this madness reduced.

Old 08-06-2018, 04:28 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by knope
nice jack. can you record a video (youtube?) at highway speed? i'm curious how much road noise all this madness reduced.
Can I make a youtube video to validate my "madness"?

KNOPE...

Old 08-07-2018, 05:43 PM
lol

Old 08-07-2018, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
Since you said please...

Old 08-07-2018, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member
This video also features the "sport horns"...

Old 08-07-2018, 07:11 PM
it sounds pretty nice, thank you.

Old 08-12-2018, 05:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Alfa38
Wow - be really careful with that foam. It will expand between interior support beams and the body and can actually cause distortion of the body panel. A little goes a long way. Some of the DIY Sprinter RV guys found this out the hard way...
In the lessons learned category... Not only does the closed cell spray foam expand, it also contracts.

This past Monday I noticed a small dent above my driver side rear wheel. I thought that maybe I had bumped it while removing the wheels to do the undercoating. As the week went on the dent actually seemed to get a little bigger. Then on Thursday I noticed a similar dent above the passenger side rear wheel. The spray foam had actually sucked in the fenders causing ~6-8 inch diameter dents to form.

I was too panicked (and maybe ashamed?) to take pics of the dents. Thursday evening when I got home from work I pulled the interior side hatch trim off to investigate. I ended up taking a hacksaw blade and running it between the fender and the foam, releasing the foam from its stranglehold on the inside of the fenders. I then used my hands and a wooden yardstick to pop the fenders back out into place; like it never happened.

I think that cutting a piece of the MLV Mat to fit, laying it against the inside of the fender wall, and then spraying the foam would prevent that from happening. But ultimately, the safest (and yes smartest...) thing to do would be to forego the spray foam.

UnFitRick, sharing the good, the bad, and the ugly...

Old 08-12-2018, 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
Lesson learned and thanks for sharing. It will help others to avoid that mistake.

Old 08-12-2018, 01:29 PM
5 Year Member
Oh, no Rick! At least it wasn't permanent. Thanks for posting the update.

Old 08-12-2018, 02:41 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
interesting stuff there rick. good to hear the dent popped back. i do PDR on my own cars (was professionally trained over a decade ago) and EXTREMELY SENSITIVE to dents on my cars. lol well, not my GK cause i know its got dings but havent bothered to fix them.

Old 08-14-2018, 07:09 PM
5 Year Member
that's quite interesting-- i would not have guessed!

Quick Reply: 2019 Fit Sound Deadening Campaign