3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

2015 transmission noise

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 09:59 PM
2015 transmission noise

Hey all, new to the forum and glad to be here! I’ve been out of the car game too long, and look forward to the inspiration I can get from other Fit owners. Anywho, I’ve looked through multiple pages of the Fit3 section and even tried searches but found nothing (not to mention countless google searches), but I’ve got a rattle/knocking sound when the AC compressor is running. If the clutch pedal is depressed, the noise stops. It almost sounds like a knocking bottom end. It is without a doubt coming from the transmission. I put a stethoscope to it. Has anybody had a similar problem? If so, what was the fix? The Honda dealer claims its the throwout bearing, but wouldn’t that happen the reverse? As in no noise when the pedal is out and noise when the clutch pedal is pushed in? Sorry if this has been covered already. Thanks for any information!

Old 08-04-2018, 12:02 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by CrispyTuna
Hey all, new to the forum and glad to be here! I’ve been out of the car game too long, and look forward to the inspiration I can get from other Fit owners. Anywho, I’ve looked through multiple pages of the Fit3 section and even tried searches but found nothing (not to mention countless google searches), but I’ve got a rattle/knocking sound when the AC compressor is running. If the clutch pedal is depressed, the noise stops. It almost sounds like a knocking bottom end. It is without a doubt coming from the transmission. I put a stethoscope to it. Has anybody had a similar problem? If so, what was the fix? The Honda dealer claims its the throwout bearing, but wouldn’t that happen the reverse? As in no noise when the pedal is out and noise when the clutch pedal is pushed in? Sorry if this has been covered already. Thanks for any information!
If I understand a bad throwout bearing, it would make noise when you depress it, and the would go away when you release the clutch slowly. Here is what I found...
Either way, it's in the clutch assembly. The Clutch Release Bearing

This applies force to the release levers or fingers. In doing so, the release bearing disengages the clutch. The release bearing is designed to operate with minimum friction between the rotating and stationary points of contact. If noise develops from the bell housing area, a few checks can be done.

Start with a road test of the vehicle. Listen for noise with the transmission in gear and the clutch pedal to the floor. Next release the clutch with the transmission in first gear. Noise under this condition indicates a worn release bearing or a worn pilot bearing.

To isolate the two, keep the clutch pedal on the floor and shift the transmission into neutral. If the noise persists, the release bearing is bad. If the noise is gone, the pilot bearing is bad.

A bearing noise that occurs when releasing the clutch pedal to engage the clutch while in neutral, but goes away when the pedal is depressed is caused by a bad transmission input shaft bearing.

Always make sure that all other components are in good condition. Check the clutch linkage for binding or mis-adjustments. Check clutch pedal free play and pedal reserve for proper setting. Check the clutch fork and input shafts for proper alignment.

Last edited by wasserball; 08-04-2018 at 12:05 AM.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:12 AM
Originally Posted by wasserball
If I understand a bad throwout bearing, it would make noise when you depress it, and the would go away when you release the clutch slowly. Here is what I found...
Either way, it's in the clutch assembly. The Clutch Release Bearing

This applies force to the release levers or fingers. In doing so, the release bearing disengages the clutch. The release bearing is designed to operate with minimum friction between the rotating and stationary points of contact. If noise develops from the bell housing area, a few checks can be done.

Start with a road test of the vehicle. Listen for noise with the transmission in gear and the clutch pedal to the floor. Next release the clutch with the transmission in first gear. Noise under this condition indicates a worn release bearing or a worn pilot bearing.

To isolate the two, keep the clutch pedal on the floor and shift the transmission into neutral. If the noise persists, the release bearing is bad. If the noise is gone, the pilot bearing is bad.

A bearing noise that occurs when releasing the clutch pedal to engage the clutch while in neutral, but goes away when the pedal is depressed is caused by a bad transmission input shaft bearing.

Always make sure that all other components are in good condition. Check the clutch linkage for binding or mis-adjustments. Check clutch pedal free play and pedal reserve for proper setting. Check the clutch fork and input shafts for proper alignment.
Very helpful information, thanks! The thing that confuses me is that it only happens when the AC compressor is running. If the AC is turned off, there is no noise at all.