3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Plastic shield underneath

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
Plastic shield underneath

Hi, have any of you made cutouts for the oil drain plug and filter? This shield is a pain in the arse. Maybe I値l get lucky and they値l make an aftermarket accessory shield that allows access.

Old 08-14-2018, 03:59 PM
5 Year Member
subscribed for an answer.... that thing really is a PITA

Old 08-14-2018, 04:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
subscribed for an answer.... that thing really is a PITA
yes, it is. LOL! I miss my 08 now.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
Our '15, bought CPO, came without the shield....and I don't miss it.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:27 PM
5 Year Member
I agree. There should have been a snap out panel for access. Having to remove and install 8 screws under the car is ridiculous. I figure Honda is just trying to convince you to take the car to the dealer for your oil changes.

Old 08-15-2018, 06:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
I agree. There should have been a snap out panel for access. Having to remove and install 8 screws under the car is ridiculous. I figure Honda is just trying to convince you to take the car to the dealer for your oil changes.
Those 2 stupid plastic fasteners suck the worst....someone needs a punch in the throat for thinking that one up.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:06 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
considering how the oil filter is tilted on the GK it can become a mess if u dont have full access when removing it. i mean its only a couple of screws and a few tabs.. ive had cars that had like 12 screws and tabs. just take it off.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by captainhowdy
Hi, have any of you made cutouts for the oil drain plug and filter? This shield is a pain in the arse. Maybe I値l get lucky and they値l make an aftermarket accessory shield that allows access.
The drain plug is horizontal. It doesn't point down. When you take it out the oil shoots out horizontally because of how the opening is aimed. Considering that this is extremely thin 0W20 oil it shoots out quite a distance horizontally. That's why a cutout doesn't really work. The oil is not going to cooperate by simply dropping nicely down from the plug through any cutout opening. You pretty much have to remove that whole shield and position your drain pan to allow for the oil squirting out ( 8" or so?). Caught me by surprise on my first oil change but fortunately I have a large drain pail which was positioned right (barely) and caught all the oil, otherwise I would have had a mess on the garage floor.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by woof
The drain plug is horizontal. It doesn't point down. When you take it out the oil shoots out horizontally because of how the opening is aimed. Considering that this is extremely thin 0W20 oil it shoots out quite a distance horizontally. That's why a cutout doesn't really work. The oil is not going to cooperate by simply dropping nicely down from the plug through any cutout opening. You pretty much have to remove that whole shield and position your drain pan to allow for the oil squirting out ( 8" or so?). Caught me by surprise on my first oil change but fortunately I have a large drain pail which was positioned right (barely) and caught all the oil, otherwise I would have had a mess on the garage floor.
This! No matter how I guess where the drain pan should be, the oil splashes and spatters everywhere. Even if the drain plug was on the bottom, I think the oil would still splash all over the place. Hot 0W-20 is like water.

Old 08-16-2018, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
I have one of these for the Fit's oil changes: https://www.autozone.com/shop-and-ga...180816174546:s

It's large enough that it's pretty hard to miss. Since it's so big, it can hold several oil changes before needing to be drained. Drawback is you have to clean off the area afterwards, but it beats cleaning up the garage floor.

Old 08-17-2018, 09:56 AM
While this does not necessarily help with the plastic undershield, it could for when it comes time to remove the drain bolt.

For years I used a Form-a-Funnel, which is basically malleable plastic. It worked wonders when performing fluid changes on my motorcycles and cars. I lost it during a move and was fairly distraught. It was a favorite tool after all.

Then a fellow DIYer suggested I could do the same thing, but with aluminum foil. It has worked just as well, if not as fancy looking. Plus, I can find aluminum foil anywhere/everywhere. My old Form-a-Funnel was always in the safe spot I would never forget......until I needed it.

Old 08-17-2018, 10:33 AM
That plastic shield performs many important functions:
-it protects the engine components from dirt and debris
-it reduces noise
-it helps improving fuel economy by reducing drag
It is also a sacrificial component, as it will take the first impact (should you drive over something unintentionally) - which is definitely better than hitting a low-mounted component vital to your car's safe operation...
Depending on how important these functions are to you, you have a choice to leave it on, as designers and engineers intended or take it off permanently for easier oil changes.
I mean, some people take off their windshield wipers, because this will supposedly improve their fuel economy by 0.1 mpg.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:52 AM
5 Year Member
I just did my first oil change on my 2018 Sport. 1250 miles on the odo - the underside of the car in general is super clean, looks basically like a new car, which is not surprising since i got it at the beginning of June and it hasn't seen a CT winter yet, BUT the screws holding the panel on already are showing signs of corrosion.

I actually prefer the panel, as it will guard against a lot of stuff getting up in there. I wish all the fasteners were the plastic push in type. They don't corrode and are super easy to take out and to reinstall. The problem I had with the screws was that a couple of the clips that the screws go into were loose, and I had to take the panel off a couple times to squeeze the clips and align them. The push in clips don't suffer from this problem.

I installed a Fumoto oil drain valve with nipple to expedite the draining process the next time around, and thought about making an access port for it to keep the panel in place, but then realized you still need to get the filter off...

Old 08-25-2018, 11:00 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lannym
I installed a Fumoto oil drain valve with nipple to expedite the draining process the next time around, and thought about making an access port for it to keep the panel in place, but then realized you still need to get the filter off...
Taking that one step further, you could also install a remote mount filter kit, and a permanent drain hose from the valve, then the shield would never need to come off at all.

I'm considering installing the valve, I've had them on past vehicles. Perhaps I'll look for a remote mount filter kit too.

Old 08-25-2018, 02:08 PM
5 Year Member
Yea, I think many of us agree the shield is a pain in the arse, but I guess it's every 5,000 miles....I could see the screws corroding. I broke one of the small ears on the back clips, so I may go to the dealer and buy spares. those are stupid.

Old 08-25-2018, 04:49 PM
I feel like a broken record.. None the less, that plastic shield is awesome. Learn to appreciate the extra 3 mins you'll take removing and reapplying it.

regarding those little screw/clips, those can fuck right off. Zipties ftw

Last edited by knope; 08-25-2018 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Compassion
Old 08-25-2018, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by knope
I feel like a broken record.. None the less, that plastic shield is awesome. Learn to appreciate the extra 3 mins you'll take removing and reapplying it.

regarding those little screw/clips, those can fuck right off. Zipties ftw
I love that idea!!

Old 08-25-2018, 05:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by captainhowdy
Yea, I think many of us agree the shield is a pain in the arse, but I guess it's every 5,000 miles....I could see the screws corroding. I broke one of the small ears on the back clips, so I may go to the dealer and buy spares. those are stupid.

Yeah, they suck. Hopefully your dealer has some in stock. According to HondaPartsNow.com (my usual source for OEM parts) they have been discontinued and are no longer available to order. Honda Part No.: 91514-TG1-T01

It looks like Ebay and a few other outlets still have them, the Ebay listing is asking over $5 for one!! I think paid about $1.50ea for the last pair I bought. Honda Parts Unlimited has them for $1.67 but then you add $3 for shipping..... Nope. No thanks.

That sucks. Not even a alternate or replacement part number. I'm sure there is an equivalent or better fastener out there, just a matter of identifying it and finding a source. I'm doing a oil change this weekend. If I can find my calipers I will get measurements and see if I can find something to use in it's place.

Last edited by MikeDD969; 08-25-2018 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-26-2018, 09:57 AM
5 Year Member
That original part may no longer be available but Fits are still rolling down the production line so Honda must have designed in a replacement part. Of course it may take a while before they get around to updating their documentation.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by MikeDD969
Yeah, they suck. ..
I'm sure there is an equivalent or better fastener out there, just a matter of identifying it and finding a source...
Indeed. If only such a source could be found... Found it!
SuperUltra Oh Eee Ehm fasteners SuperUltra Oh Eee Ehm fasteners
<3 lol

Quick Reply: Plastic shield underneath