3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Passive TPMS / Wheel Sets

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 09:44 PM
Passive TPMS / Wheel Sets

From what I understand, the GKs have passive TPMS.

Will the system still work for different wheel/tire combinations (like winter sets) with just the use of the recalibration button?

Old 08-26-2018, 09:54 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yep. very convenient.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:18 PM
Thanks buddy.

Old 08-26-2018, 10:31 PM
5 Year Member
That’s why I like the system. I can run a complete set of winter wheels without having to buy another set of sensors and having to have the dealer calibrate the system twice a year.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:29 AM
Do you guys run into any issues with particular wheel sizes?
​​​​​​
Tire Rack recommends a 14" winter package. Seems a little small.

Old 08-27-2018, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ieandro
Do you guys run into any issues with particular wheel sizes?
​​​​​​
Tire Rack recommends a 14" winter package. Seems a little small.
I thought so too, so I went with 15” for winter and 16” for summer (‘15 EX). No issues going back and forth. I’ve never even had to recalibrate the TPMS.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:08 AM
Thanks for the info!

Old 08-27-2018, 09:18 AM
5 Year Member
Convenient yes.
But mine has never really worked great.

In mixed, day to day driving, which does include highway and freeway driving, I can go indefinitely... with no problem.
But...let me take a freeway road trip lasting two hours or more? And I get a TPMS illumination every time.

The dealership has been no help at all.
When I brought it up to the service advisor at my last service, he didn't seem to even know the latest generation Fit had the passive system. He kept bringing up things that didn't apply, because it isn't a regular PSI based system. I had to tell HIM that it had a passive system.
Then the only "help" was that I could fork over $150 for them to TRY to diagnosis a system that they evidently are pretty ignorant about. If they couldn't find anything? I'd have to pay. If they found something? It would be covered under warranty.
Didn't feel like placing a $150 gamble.

Now I just expect that on a long drive...I've got to make sure my tire PSI gauge is working, and expect at some point I will have to pull over and check it.
Sort of like a forced road trip rest stop.

Last edited by fitchet; 08-27-2018 at 09:28 AM.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:25 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
my GK likes to show the tpms error light after the swap and couple of miles but it will reset after one or two tries.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:37 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
Convenient yes.

In mixed, day to day driving, which does include highway and freeway driving, I can go indefinitely... with no problem.
But...let me take a freeway road trip lasting two hours or more? And I get a TPMS illumination every time.

When I brought it up to the service advisor at my last service, he didn't seem to even know the latest generation Fit had the passive system. He kept bringing up things that didn't apply, because it isn't a regular PSI based system. I had to tell HIM that it had a passive system.
Then the only "help" was that I could fork over $150 for them to TRY to diagnosis a system that they evidently are pretty ignorant about. If they couldn't find anything? I'd have to pay. If they found something? It would be covered under warranty.

Now I just expect that on a long drive...I've got to make sure my tire PSI gauge is working, and expect at some point I will have to pull over and check it.
Same with our VW with the passive system. It's fine until we get a couple of hours into an interstate drive with sustained high speeds. Nothing fun about having that light come on while you're surrounded by semi's at 75mph. Sadly we now just ignore it until we make the next stop because it's like clockwork that it gives us a false alert.

Meanwhile the system in our GD has never falsed.

Last edited by GAFIT; 08-27-2018 at 10:58 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:44 AM
Had a '02 MINI Cooper that did the same thing. But only during the winter months. Reset after checking the pressure and never really thought of it as an issue. Chalked it up to either a cold winter or sensitive TPMS.

I tend to over obsess about my car maintenance so my air pressure gets checked once every 2 weeks and every week in the winter.

​​I don't believe technology should replace basic car maintenance. I still look at vehicle options in terms of how likely to fail over time. One of the major reasons why I got my GK with a 6 Speed.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Sadly we now just ignore it until we make the next stop because it's like clockwork that it gives us a false alert.
The way my mind works....I just can't ignore it. Because of my fear, that the 1st time I ignore it...will be the 1st time it's real.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
Convenient yes.

I was excited at first because of having three sets of wheels and tires. Summer, Snow and Racing. I've come to the conclusion it works better on paper than in practice. As others have stated, switch tires and keep it under 45mph and the system works great. Go on the highway at 70mph and the light goes on. I usually have to reset mine about a dozen times before the light is permanently off. Maybe it's because I switch tires frequently? Also another downside is I had a set of racing tires that weren't evenly worn. System would never stop throwing the light. Personally, I rather have the TPMS and have them in my summer tires and live with the light on when winter or racing wheels are on the car. It's pisses me off when the system doesn't seem to work and I have the light on and can't get rid of it. At least when the wheels don't have the sensors, I know why the light is on. Better than having to check the pressure only to find out it's OK and the passive system which is obviously cheaper for the manufacture just works like garbage

Old 08-28-2018, 08:26 AM
5 Year Member
I guess some folks are having problems with their TPMS, but mine has been pretty solid. I have an 85 mile daily commute and my TPMS work well. Only time I've questioned it is when I popped a tire hitting a pothole. It was in the neighborhood about a mile from home, so I limped it home. I guess I was expecting the TPMS light to come on, but it didn't. Apparently it needs to be running over 25 MPH to check or something like that.

I've also taken the Fit on 7 hour road trips and the TPMS never hiccuped. I'm sure it's frustrating for those that get these false positives though.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:41 PM
5 Year Member
Autocross tires. 15s. Stock was 16s. If the TPMS goes off.. it's just once..

Old 08-29-2018, 05:13 PM
5 Year Member
I’ve rotated tires, swapped out winter/summer wheels, driven for hours at freeway speeds and never had the TPMS go off. I wonder if mine even works.

Old 08-29-2018, 05:17 PM
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
I’ve rotated tires, swapped out winter/summer wheels, driven for hours at freeway speeds and never had the TPMS go off. I wonder if mine even works.
1st position Key On position runs systems checks so your TPMS light should turn on then off.