3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Lack of Honda Fit Inventory

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 06:50 PM
Lack of Honda Fit Inventory

There are only a few Honda fits in my area apparently. Just so happened that I'm in the market for one after having my current car for 16 years. Also I just found out about the Celaya plant closure that's probably contributing to the problem of having no fits.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
Yeah, there are getting to be fewer and fewer available. What's getting really rare are manuals since they don't make a whole lot to begin with.

Maybe worth sitting back and seeing what unfolds if you can wait a bit. They are still made in Japan. Maybe we'll get some imported to fill the gap.

Old 09-03-2018, 12:20 PM
5 Year Member
I’m pretty sure Honda doesn’t really care. Profit margins are pretty thin on the Fit to begin with, and given the popularity of crossovers and SUVs I wouldn’t be surprised to see Honda drop the Fit in the US altogether. Honda would much rather upsell you to a HRV or CRV, where they can make some real money.

Old 09-03-2018, 02:22 PM
5 Year Member
The plant in Mexico must have been closed for well over a month because of the flooding which would have had a significant impact on Fit availability. HRVs would also have been affected but not as much since these are also being made at a second Mexico plant far enough away from the flooding areas. Lessened availability of Fits just gives the dealers an incentive to get tougher on pricing, not that they've ever needed any excuse to do that. Just noticed this update from Honda on July 31:

"While the Honda transmission plant in Celaya resumed production on July 9, our expert teams have completed an investigation of the damage to the tooling and equipment at the auto plant, which produces the Honda Fit and HR-V, and we now expect to resume auto and engine production in Celaya in mid-November. "

I would think that this is going to cause Fit availability to pretty much dry up in North America for the rest of this year.

Old 09-03-2018, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by woof
The plant in Mexico must have been closed for well over a month because of the flooding which would have had a significant impact on Fit availability. HRVs would also have been affected but not as much since these are also being made at a second Mexico plant far enough away from the flooding areas. Lessened availability of Fits just gives the dealers an incentive to get tougher on pricing, not that they've ever needed any excuse to do that. Just noticed this update from Honda on July 31:

"While the Honda transmission plant in Celaya resumed production on July 9, our expert teams have completed an investigation of the damage to the tooling and equipment at the auto plant, which produces the Honda Fit and HR-V, and we now expect to resume auto and engine production in Celaya in mid-November. "

I would think that this is going to cause Fit availability to pretty much dry up in North America for the rest of this year.
Yea such a shame.. I was looking forward to become a regular poster in this forum. I don't think the dealer will give me a good deal on their remaining 2018s.

Old 09-03-2018, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jonaol364
Yea such a shame.. I was looking forward to become a regular poster in this forum. I don't think the dealer will give me a good deal on their remaining 2018s.
You could buy a Civic Hatch with manual and still post here. Plus have a better car

Old 09-03-2018, 05:14 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
I’m pretty sure Honda doesn’t really care. Profit margins are pretty thin on the Fit to begin with, and given the popularity of crossovers and SUVs I wouldn’t be surprised to see Honda drop the Fit in the US altogether. Honda would much rather upsell you to a HRV or CRV, where they can make some real money.
i agree. i wouldnt be surprised if they drop the Fit all together either.

Old 09-03-2018, 08:14 PM
Honda may need to sell Fits to meet mileage standards so when they start to run out you might see some Japanese Fits coming here.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:08 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
Honda may need to sell Fits to meet mileage standards so when they start to run out you might see some Japanese Fits coming here.
Didn’t Trump roll back the mileage standards? SUVs and pickup trucks for everyone!

Old 09-04-2018, 06:12 PM
5 Year Member
He said he was going to but I believe the automakers are fighting that because they've been working to meet that Obama set standard and they don't want rules that change every time there's a new President. They have to make long term plans and they can't do that if there's no political consistency and they're caught in a game of flip flop.

Old 09-05-2018, 08:15 AM
5 Year Member
Maybe it's just local to me?
Or just my imagination.
But a frustrating thing about being a Honda Fit owner, is I've never felt Honda supports or promotes The Fit with much enthusiasm. I routinely drive past a local Honda Dealership, and if you looked at their parking lot, and the vehicles they bring up front to be seen and promote, you wouldn't even know they sell a small hatch-back.

I realize it's Honda's "entry level" offering, but it's a good one.

With Ford evidently looking to reduce or discontinue most sedan and hatch-back sales in North America, I actually worry about the long term health of the Fit model line. As the entry level offering the profit margin just can't be that big on a Honda Fit compared to other models. Could Honda decide to simply stop offering it?

In Europe and Asia, there are environments where subcompacts are almost a necessity, due to congestion and street size. I would imagine they will never totally disappear. BUT...Honda certainly doesn't promote the Fit in North America. I've watched Honda commercials that don't even mention it as part of the line.
I've met a lot of people, who do a double take, when I tell them I drive a Honda Fit. They don't even know what it is.

I think among people specifically interested in hatch-backs, the Honda Fit has a great reputation. But if it is not something you are specifically looking for? Honda doesn't do much in terms of advertising or support to perhaps convince someone to take a look.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:23 AM
5 Year Member
Agree 100% fitchet!

I always wondered how much more successful the Fit could have been. Not just with more, but better advertising. The advertising they did have for the Fit's was downright horrible.

They also never really made a complete model line for the Fit. We basically get a base or more features or a body kit. With the Golf or Fiesta you have options ranging from slow/cheap up to performance models with strong appeal. It would have taken Honda so very little to offer the Fit with a K20 back in the day or the 1.5t today, but they just don't seem to care about the little hatch.

Old 09-05-2018, 09:49 AM
5 Year Member
Too, 2018 model year production is closed out and all manufacturers are looking to sell down what's left and clear lots for new 2019s. Production plants often close for retooling for several weeks in the summer. At a point in my career I leased vehicles for my employer and if I didn't get our order in by early June, it was too late.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:27 AM
Unhappy

Originally Posted by kenchan
i agree. i wouldnt be surprised if they drop the Fit all together either.
D: D: i hope not

D: D: D: D: nooooooOOooooo lol say it aint so.

Originally Posted by GAFIT
You could buy a Civic Hatch with manual and still post here. Plus have a better car
usually i agree with you, but in this case i don't. the civic is a bloated barge these days. unless you're opting for the sport-injected or the type-race.

Old 09-05-2018, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by knope
the civic is a bloated barge these days. unless you're opting for the sport-injected or the type-race.
That "bloated barge" gets 2mpg better highway fuel economy and pulls more g's on a skidpad than the Fit. Not to mention is significantly faster.

It does, however, lack in the quirkiness factor and I only like it in Hatchback form.

Old 09-05-2018, 11:34 AM
That "bloated barge" gets 2mpg better highway fuel economy and pulls more g's on a skidpad than the Fit. Not to mention is significantly faster.
Alas, you must qualify this, which model for each claim respectively? :P

It does, however, lack in the quirkiness factor and I only like it in Hatchback form.
yaaasss

Old 09-05-2018, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by knope
Alas, you must qualify this, which model for each claim respectively? :P

yaaasss
That is true. If you take out the Fit LX model, the Civic gets more than 2 mpg better :P The biggest sellers I would think are the EX CVT models of each.

Civic Hatch EX CVT - 31/40
Fit EX CVT - 31/36

My choice would be the EX 6-speed Fit and Sport 6-speed Civic...
Civic Hatch Sport 6-speed - 29/38
Fit EX 6-speed - 29/36

So, in both the volume seller and the one I'd want, the Civic gets better fuel economy.

The only exception to the "civic gets better fuel economy rule" is the Fit LX CVT which is rated at 33/40, but is still giving up a ton of speed and handling to the Civic.

This would all be fixed if Honda would put the 1.5t and real size tires on the Fit.

Old 09-05-2018, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member

It’s also a full 1.5 feet longer for no good reason other than “styling.”

Bigger on the outside, smaller on the inside, less room in the garage around the car, sure, why not?

Old 09-05-2018, 06:57 PM
5 Year Member

It’s also a full 1.5 feet longer for no good reason other than “styling.”

Bigger on the outside, smaller on the inside, less room in the garage around the car, sure, why not?
Less room inside?

Civic Hatch
Passenger Volume - 97.2 cubic feet
Cargo volume - 25.7

Fit
Passenger Volume - 95.7
Cargo volume - 16.6

Listen, I own a Fit and love it, but you all seem to have a LOT of misinformation in your heads.

Old 09-05-2018, 07:03 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Agree 100% fitchet!

I always wondered how much more successful the Fit could have been. Not just with more, but better advertising. The advertising they did have for the Fit's was downright horrible.

They also never really made a complete model line for the Fit. We basically get a base or more features or a body kit. With the Golf or Fiesta you have options ranging from slow/cheap up to performance models with strong appeal. It would have taken Honda so very little to offer the Fit with a K20 back in the day or the 1.5t today, but they just don't seem to care about the little hatch.
i think honda ads are pretty stupid in general too.. and also agreed, honda really dropped da ball with the GK not offering any REAL sport trims. i think honda's real hatch at the moment is the civic.

Quick Reply: Lack of Honda Fit Inventory