3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Money Wasted

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 07:59 AM
5 Year Member
Money Wasted

We spent about $670 to get the Check Engine light turned off so the 2015 Fit would pass inspection. If I knew then what I know now, I could have saved over $500 by buying the MAF sensor online from HondaPartsNow. The dealer charged $268, but it was available online for $145. I didn't have the time to wait for the part to arrive, and inspection was two months late, so I bought it from the local Honda dealer. All the other work done by the dealer - that $300 oil change and fuel system cleaning - didn't help at all. An independent mechanic found a vacuum leak at the short hose that attaches the air cleaner box to the intake tube. That cost $41 with overnight delivery. I later bought three more online, just ion case we need one again, for $38 delivered. The mechanic didn't charge me anything.

Another thing I noticed shopping online - the online Honda dealers show the list price and their price. In all cases, my dealer charged way above the list price.

Two things I'm doing as a result of what I've learned over the past two months: use non-ethanol gas occasionally (Stewart's premium) and add Techron or Sea Foam to the gas tank occasionally. I also learned that direct injectors are great for the manufacturer, but not so good for the customer - lots of carbon build-up on the intake valves.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:12 AM
5 Year Member
I agree with you about the dealers. They are willing to change out this and that to see if it fixes the problem My local mechanic that I used actually try to figure out the problem. I do buy parts online to save money.

Now, the gas I purchase is any off brand. Never cared for the advertised brand claiming to have certain cleaning agents to prevent foul injectors or carbon on the valves. I used off brands in my 911 Turbo and BMWs without problems, for many years. I never had to spend money in cleaning fouled injectors. If you want to feel secure with your decision on gas purchases, go ahead. It's just false insurance. Short trips foul the injectors. Next time take your Fit for a long trip. Run up the RPM. That helps in preventing fouled injectors.

Last edited by wasserball; 10-09-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Old 10-09-2018, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by wasserball
I agree with you about the dealers. They are willing to change out this and that to see if it fixes the problem My local mechanic that I used actually try to figure out the problem. I do buy parts online to save money.

Now, the gas I purchase is any off brand. Never cared for the advertised brand claiming to have certain cleaning agents to prevent foul injectors or carbon on the valves. I used off brands in my 911 Turbo and BMWs without problems, for many years. I never had to spend money in cleaning fouled injectors. If you want to feel secure with your decision on gas purchases, go ahead. It's just false insurance. Short trips foul the injectors. Next time take your Fit for a long trip. Run up the RPM. That helps in preventing fouled injectors.
One thing I forgot to mention is that I will be more careful about buying Top Tier gas, the kind recommended by Honda.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
One thing I forgot to mention is that I will be more careful about buying Top Tier gas, the kind recommended by Honda.
I'm hopeful that always using Top Tier will keep me safe. 34k, no issues yet.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:07 PM
5 Year Member
I'm jealous you guys have access to ethanol free fuel!

I dunk in a bottle of techron fuel inj cleaner myself every tire rotation/5k

if I ever catch the "complete fuel system cleaner" ones on sale, I try to stock up on these instead. I read somewhere (I think it was the BITOG forums) that this one has a higher concentration of techron:

if you have some time to burn, "bob is the oil guy" covers a wide variety of detergents and what not. if youre feeling up for experimentation, mmo/marvel mystery oil appears to be considered as "good" from the experts over at bitog forums, and inexpensive. I've also played around with gumout regane when its on sale. One day I'd like to try redline si-1 (having a hard time getting this one shipped to CA)

Old 10-09-2018, 01:20 PM
5 Year Member
Like all car manufactures that uses a particular brand of gasoline for their emission test, they get consideration as in $$$$ from the gasoline or oil companies.. You probably knew that, right? However, it is your money and if buying top tier gas makes you sleep better, you won't get an argument from me. I'm just repeating myself.

Gas stations in the US and many other nations are required to supply customers with consistent and clean gasoline. This means that no matter where the tank gets filled up, gas quality or the brand of gas will not noticeably affect how the vehicle performs. Some brands offer fuels with added cleaners and other additives. These can offer some benefits, but the fact remains that cheap gas that doesn't contain these additives is not dangerous or problematic.

This statement is quite neutral in its assessment. But, the most important word is "problematic".

Last edited by wasserball; 10-09-2018 at 01:22 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 01:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
I'm jealous you guys have access to ethanol free fuel!

I dunk in a bottle of techron fuel inj cleaner myself every tire rotation/5k

if I ever catch the "complete fuel system cleaner" ones on sale, I try to stock up on these instead. I read somewhere (I think it was the BITOG forums) that this one has a higher concentration of techron:

if you have some time to burn, "bob is the oil guy" covers a wide variety of detergents and what not. if youre feeling up for experimentation, mmo/marvel mystery oil appears to be considered as "good" from the experts over at bitog forums, and inexpensive. I've also played around with gumout regane when its on sale. One day I'd like to try redline si-1 (having a hard time getting this one shipped to CA)
Take a look here for non-ethanol qas.
https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=CA

Some info about Top Tier -
https://www.toptiergas.com/

Old 10-09-2018, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
23 stations in CA, none of which are in San Diego

On the topic of top tier, I'm lucky enough to live in an area where Top Tier (Costco and Arco/owned by BP?) happens to be cheaper than the non-branded gas stations/mom & pop owned gas stations. In my case, I just use whatever is cheap and I fully agree with wasserball on the statement of gas being non harmful. Even if I filled with non branded gas that has low detergents .... it should in theory be a none issue for me since I occasionally use mmo and techron in tandem

I assume, my valves should probably look like the one in the middle:

Old 10-09-2018, 01:51 PM
5 Year Member
Could have an over oiled K&N cause the MAF to fail prematurely? The car functioned so why not just wait a few days to order online. Your son's fit has been having fits, how has yours been?

Sucks having to pay dealership costs, but it's a necessity if you want it fixed quick. I order stuff from hondapartsonline.com if I can wait.

I've got a catch can waiting to be installed, but doesn't seem to be a ton of complaints of coked valves causing issues?

Old 10-09-2018, 01:52 PM
5 Year Member
23 stations in CA, none of which are in San Diego

On the topic of top tier, I'm lucky enough to live in an area where Top Tier (Costco and Arco/owned by BP?) happens to be cheaper than the non-branded gas stations/mom & pop owned gas stations. In my case, I just use whatever is cheap and I fully agree with wasserball on the statement of gas being non harmful. Even if I filled with non branded gas that has low detergents .... it should in theory be a none issue for me since I occasionally use mmo and techron in tandem

I assume, my valves should probably look like the one in the middle:

I use Citgo, which is also usually the cheapest.

With all those big freeways in CA and so little traffic, what's the big deal about driving out of your way to get gas?

Old 10-09-2018, 01:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Could have an over oiled K&N cause the MAF to fail prematurely? The car functioned so why not just wait a few days to order online. Your son's fit has been having fits, how has yours been?

Sucks having to pay dealership costs, but it's a necessity if you want it fixed quick. I order stuff from hondapartsonline.com if I can wait.

I've got a catch can waiting to be installed, but doesn't seem to be a ton of complaints of coked valves causing issues?
His car should have been inspected in August, so every day he's on the road, he risks getting a $100+ ticket.

Yes, it would be nice to get a "quick fix" from the dealer. That hasn't happened since we got these cars in 2014. My car is running fine, but it took the dealer 18 months to get my LaneWatch camera working. I told him right off that he should replace the head unit. It took them 18 months to do that.

The catch can sounds interesting.

Old 10-09-2018, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member

With all those big freeways in CA and so little traffic
Bless your heart, lol. I only could dream of a CA ... without traf

Distance from home to work is about 15 mins .... during rush hour .... that # quadruples

Old 10-09-2018, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
The catch can sounds interesting.
join the catch can army

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...g-edition.html

Old 10-09-2018, 02:04 PM
5 Year Member
Bless your heart, lol. I only could dream of a CA ... without traf

Distance from home to work is about 15 mins .... during rush hour .... that # quadruples

Yes, I've driven around CA quite a bit. You have my sympathy. Around here, if I have to wait at a red light for three minutes, I start getting impatient. : )

Old 10-09-2018, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
We spent about $670 to get the Check Engine light turned off so the 2015 Fit would pass inspection. If I knew then what I know now, I could have saved over $500 by buying the MAF sensor online from HondaPartsNow. The dealer charged $268, but it was available online for $145. I didn't have the time to wait for the part to arrive, and inspection was two months late, so I bought it from the local Honda dealer. All the other work done by the dealer - that $300 oil change and fuel system cleaning - didn't help at all. An independent mechanic found a vacuum leak at the short hose that attaches the air cleaner box to the intake tube. That cost $41 with overnight delivery. I later bought three more online, just ion case we need one again, for $38 delivered. The mechanic didn't charge me anything.

Another thing I noticed shopping online - the online Honda dealers show the list price and their price. In all cases, my dealer charged way above the list price.

Two things I'm doing as a result of what I've learned over the past two months: use non-ethanol gas occasionally (Stewart's premium) and add Techron or Sea Foam to the gas tank occasionally. I also learned that direct injectors are great for the manufacturer, but not so good for the customer - lots of carbon build-up on the intake valves.

Do you have part number or photo of the hose you talking about? thank you

Old 10-10-2018, 06:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by payluder
Do you have part number or photo of the hose you talking about? thank you
Here it is. It's #6 in the diagram below.