3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Limited Lifetime Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2018, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
Limited Lifetime Warranty

When I bought the MAF sensor for my 2015 Fit at Advance Auto ($76), the woman said I should hold onto the receipt for the warranty. The sensor didn't work, so I bought one from Honda ($268), and that works fine. I went to Advance to return it today. "Did you install it?" "Yes, I did." "Then we can't take it back."

So now you know what "Limited Lifetime Warranty" means. It's warranted until you use it.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:55 PM
5 Year Member
can you go to another location, return it, and say "NO .... NO I DID NOT INSTALL IT ... THEREFORE YOU MUST TAKE IT BACK" ?

Old 10-09-2018, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
can you go to another location, return it, and say "NO .... NO I DID NOT INSTALL IT ... THEREFORE YOU MUST TAKE IT BACK" ?
I no longer have the box or the wrapping, and I would need a valid reason for returning it. I can't say it doesn't work. : ) Maybe they can refuse to take it back once it is out of the sealed box, under the assumption that it has been used.

If someone tries to return it to a different store, they always check with the selling store. I've seen that happen.

Old 10-09-2018, 03:57 PM
5 Year Member
If it didn't work, you should be able to return it as defective or the incorrect part, right?

Old 10-09-2018, 04:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sneefy
If it didn't work, you should be able to return it as defective or the incorrect part, right?
And they will say it's defective because of something I did. Nothing electrical may be returned for a refund or exchange. I know that's the general rule, but when the receipt says Limited Lifetime Warranty, I would think that means something. I think I'll send it back to the company and see how they respond.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member
I would think that since the Honda part worked, but theirs did not, it's reasonable to make the argument that the part is wrong in their system, or had a manufacture defect. It shouldn't be on you to eat the cost of their bad part.

Old 10-09-2018, 06:42 PM
5 Year Member
If they do honor their warranty they will hand you another MAF sensor, but not return your money. Very common to hear no returns on electrical equipment.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:23 AM
5 Year Member
"reasonable" doesn't apply to business.

Old 10-10-2018, 07:25 AM
5 Year Member
Unhappy

I would think that since the Honda part worked, but theirs did not, it's reasonable to make the argument that the part is wrong in their system, or had a manufacture defect. It shouldn't be on you to eat the cost of their bad part.
"Reasonable" does not apply to business.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
"Reasonable" does not apply to business.
Oh, I think that's a bit cynical. I've found if you are reasonable, but hold your ground firmly and make your argument logically, a lot of businesses are pretty accommodating. Repeat business is everything. You may just have to speak to someone other than the drone at the counter of the parts store.

Last edited by sneefy; 10-10-2018 at 08:53 AM.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:14 AM
5 Year Member
Oh, I think that's a bit cynical. I've found of you are reasonable, but hold your ground firmly and make your argument logically, a lot of businesses are pretty accommodating. Repeat business is everything. You may just have to speak to someone other than the drone at the counter of the parts store.
I'll mail it back to the company and see what they say. I've lost $76, so I can lose another $5.00 for postage.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:56 AM
5 Year Member
I'll mail it back to the company and see what they say. I've lost $76, so I can lose another $5.00 for postage.
That will only do something if you can speak to someone there who knows what they are doing. Personally, I'd call them first.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:35 AM
5 Year Member
That will only do something if you can speak to someone there who knows what they are doing. Personally, I'd call them first.
Good idea, but it would be equally easy for them to give me the company line - no return of electrical parts.

Old 10-10-2018, 09:48 AM
5 Year Member
Good idea, but it would be equally easy for them to give me the company line - no return of electrical parts.
They probably will. Which is why you need to be prepared to refute that. I think you could argue that if it were a brand new part, specified for your application, it would work properly, yes? Because it did not work properly, and the OEM part did, then the aftermarket part was either improperly speccd or it was defective.

Wouldn't be the first time. I've bought parts at an auto parts store that didn't fit or were improperly speccd. Brake pads that showed correct in their system that had completely different tabs, transmission filters that were nothing like OEM, fuel filters that were not even close.

Make the angle that the fault is with their part being the WRONG part or defective, because it sounds like that's true. You're not just returning it because you changed your mind.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:17 AM
5 Year Member
They probably will. Which is why you need to be prepared to refute that. I think you could argue that if it were a brand new part, specified for your application, it would work properly, yes? Because it did not work properly, and the OEM part did, then the aftermarket part was either improperly speccd or it was defective.

Wouldn't be the first time. I've bought parts at an auto parts store that didn't fit or were improperly speccd. Brake pads that showed correct in their system that had completely different tabs, transmission filters that were nothing like OEM, fuel filters that were not even close.

Make the angle that the fault is with their part being the WRONG part or defective, because it sounds like that's true. You're not just returning it because you changed your mind.
Thanks. Will do!

Old 10-10-2018, 10:25 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks. Will do!
Sure. Hope it's helpful. If they try to replace it with a new part, hold firm and be polite and logical. Tell them your tale of the OEM part working and that you can't trust their part in the application. Insist on (not demand) a refund. Policies always have exceptions if the fault is on them, not you. They should have some sort of guarantee that the part is correct or something.

Can you tell I've had to do this sort of thing before, lol?

Old 10-10-2018, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
If that doesn't succeed and you paid with a credit card, call your cc explain that you've tried to work with the business and they're not willing to work with you. They may want to call the store but they may refund you the costs as well.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
If that doesn't succeed and you paid with a credit card, call your cc explain that you've tried to work with the business and they're not willing to work with you. They may want to call the store but they may refund you the costs as well.
That's another good idea.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:21 PM
5 Year Member
Yes it is. There are credit card perks like this that people always forget about. Including me.

Old 10-10-2018, 08:37 PM
5 Year Member
I've done it before and works surprisingly well. I once bought a membership at a bookstore that would get me discounts on books and the cafe. They didn't tell me they were going out of business in 6 months when I bought it. Once I realized I was pissed.i called the bookstore trying to get a partial refund. They wouldn't work with me so the credit card company gave me a full refund instead.

Quick Reply: Limited Lifetime Warranty