3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Excessive Dealer Recommended 30K Mile Service?

Old 10-15-2018, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
Excessive Dealer Recommended 30K Mile Service?

Our 2016 LX CVT is coming up on 30,000 miles with not an issue, to date.

The local dealership recommends service every 5K mi versus using the "maintenance minder', with which I usually have no issue. Oil, filter, rotating tires and inspection makes sense. But at 30K miles they recommend a $635 (!!) maintenance which includes the standard stuff, plus draining and refilling all fluids (coolent, brake, transmission) and a slew of inspections. Those fluids seem excessive (and why not power steering fluid, while at it?) as I have not seen that on other vehicles at this low mileage point. Is this a common Honda practice? What is the imapct on my remaining warranty if delayed? Thanks.

Last edited by LarryS; 10-15-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:20 AM
5 Year Member
I would say that is a bit excessive for most people. Here's my thoughts on each one...

Oil, filter, tire rotation - every 5,000 miles is good preventative maintenance
Coolant - 60,000 is good preventative. 100k is possible
Brake fluid - Honda calls for this every 2 years. That's a bit much to me. 3 years is a good number IMO.
Transmission - this is really subjective. 30,000 isn't ridiculous, but 50k is probably more common.
Power steering - Fit's have electric power steering. No fluid to change.

In short, I would have them do the oil, filter, tire rotation, and brake fluid. Transmission would be a maybe. Coolant would be a no. Any other "inspections" would be a no.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:26 AM
5 Year Member
That is excessive to me. I would just follow Honda’s recommendations on everything. I mean changing fluids is cheap insurance but 30k miles is not a lot for coolant, brake and transmission fluid (60k the first time then 30k after that?) 5k is early for oil too considering modern oil and engine performance.

Old 10-15-2018, 11:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GAFIT
I would say that is a bit excessive for most people. Here's my thoughts on each one...

Oil, filter, tire rotation - every 5,000 miles is good preventative maintenance
Coolant - 60,000 is good preventative. 100k is possible
Brake fluid - Honda calls for this every 2 years. That's a bit much to me. 3 years is a good number IMO.
Transmission - this is really subjective. 30,000 isn't ridiculous, but 50k is probably more common.
Power steering - Fit's have electric power steering. No fluid to change..
Oil, 5000 to 10000 miles and at least once a year. The 10000 only if a lot of highway driving.
Coolant ok
Brake fluid ok
Transmission if CVT I'd stay with 30,000

Old 10-15-2018, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
Since you have a CVT I'd replace the fluid at 30,000 miles. Oil/filter at 5,000 seems fine for me. Yes brake fluid if you are at 2 years. Have them change the electricity in the power steering at the same time. ;-p

I'd wait another couple of years for coolant, but I'd check it to see if it still has the proper freeze temp.

Old 10-15-2018, 03:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ashchuckton
Since you have a CVT I'd replace the fluid at 30,000 miles. Oil/filter at 5,000 seems fine for me. Yes brake fluid if you are at 2 years. Have them change the electricity in the power steering at the same time. ;-p

I'd wait another couple of years for coolant, but I'd check it to see if it still has the proper freeze temp.
Thanks. Forgot there was electric power steering, although when I asked the Service Advisor I was told: "There is no Honda recommended interval for the power steering. We recommend 100,000 miles". ????

Old 10-15-2018, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
The fact that they quoted you a power steering fluid interval should tell you something. Ask them how often they recommend changing the blinker fluid.

Honda started doing maintenance minder to combat the bad reputation being built up by unscrupulous dealers. Change the stuff when the MM says unless you drive in severe conditions. If you hear of a problem with a certain component, do the service more frequently. otherwise save your money and you'll be able to buy things besides blinker fluid..

Old 10-16-2018, 12:58 PM
I think it's selfish of people here to suggest that we don't just give away money to dealerships for no reason. I mean, they work hard to try to figure out new and better ways to take your money from you. Shouldn't they be compensated for such hard work?

Go by what the car/Honda says. Dealers who 'recommend' shortened service intervals are interested in only one thing- taking your money away from you. Unless they can give you a GOOD reason, there's no reason to do something more often than the folks who built the car tell you to.

That said, I did replace the transmission oil on my 2010 Fit sooner than recommended by Honda because there was a reason (suggested by people here) and it did make a difference. But that was a 2010 and a very specific reason. Not just 'change the oil every 5000 miles because we tell you to.'

A simple "Please just do what the book and car say and nothing more, and if you have a problem with that your problem is with Honda and not me, and I'll go elsewhere' should do the trick if you aren't good with conflict.

Old 10-17-2018, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
Two kind of separate but connected issues here.
First of all I would pretty instantly lose faith in any service department telling me to ignore the maintenance minder, and bring the vehicle every 5000 miles. Then beyond that, how could I trust them with a $635 priced 30,000 mile service, even if I felt many of the things they may be doing were valid?

If I have used synthetic oil and had the filter changed at the previous oil change interval PLUS I am keeping an eye on fluid levels, and the vehicle is running fine, then I'm perfectly confident going by what Honda built into the vehicle as the maintenance schedule reminder. In fact, with a good synthetic oil, I think I'm probably changing early, going by the maintenance minder.

Everyone has the right to adopt whatever maintenance schedule they wish to embrace, but Honda did build the vehicle and install the maintenance minder system, seems ridiculous to suggest ignoring it is either necessary or a good idea.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:14 PM
5 Year Member
Ive owned Hondas, Subarus, Nissans, and Mazda. Every dealer wants to do more than just the manual says - they have their own agenda.

Just tell them to do what the manual recommends and you will never have a warranty issue.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LarryS

The local dealership recommends service every 5K mi versus using the "maintenance minder', with which I usually have no issue. Oil, filter, rotating tires and inspection makes sense. But at 30K miles they recommend a $635 (!!) maintenance which includes the standard stuff, plus draining and refilling all fluids (coolent, brake, transmission) and a slew of inspections. Those fluids seem excessive (and why not power steering fluid, while at it?) as I have not seen that on other vehicles at this low mileage point. Is this a common Honda practice? What is the imapct on my remaining warranty if delayed? Thanks.
$635 for maintenance on a '16 honda ? this is my 3rd honda since '90 . my '02 si had warranty work done to replace a window track , other than that both civics never went to the dealer and
other than unforeseen warranty work on the fit neither will this one

Old 01-04-2019, 04:31 AM
Buyer beware

Yes, that's excessive! I just had the same thing happen to me, with my 2015 EX Fit with 31K miles, that I took to dealer for an oil change. Dealer came up with a list of items for "30K Mi Service" totaling $502.00!
Some of the dealer service items, like cleaning fuel injectors, and "clean and adjust brake pads" are expensive and not needed. Brake fluid might be worth doing at 3 years, but on most Honda's I've owned, it has performed well for 4-5 years, until the brake fluid is changed during a brake job. CVT transmission fluid could be changed, but you can wait until MM recommends it. Do check your engine air and cabin air filters - both of mine were dirty at 31K (should have been changed about 5K earlier). You can easily replace both the air filters yourself in a few minutes and save $80 in labor. Brakes and rotors + tires should be inspected often at least as often as tires are rotated.
The 2015 Fit uses synthetic oil and the recommended change frequency is about 10,000 miles, depending on driving conditions which the MM takes into account. It is wasteful and bad for the environment to change oil more frequently than the manufacturer recommends, and you won't get any measurable benefit if you do.

Old 01-04-2019, 09:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LarryS

from what i've seen , this is common , i've never brought any of my hondas' back to the dealer for anything , except for one warranty issue on my '02 si when the car was new . 635 for a service visit ?
-total fraud , and at 30,000 miles ? you were ripped off

Old 01-06-2019, 07:46 PM
5 Year Member
Huge profit center. I buy filters at the dealer. At 100k miles I asked what was recommended. I stopped reading it when it said $300 for spark plugs.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:10 PM
5 Year Member
You should find a competent independent repair shop to do regular maintenances.