3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Hum by Verizon

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 05:30 PM
Hum by Verizon

Hi all, I searched the forums but didn't find anything for this...I have a Hum obdII reader and service from Verizon. It's generation one and I keep getting yellow battery alerts but the voltage isn't actually low. I called Verizon and they told me to have a garage clear the nonexistent low battery code Thai only exists from their unit in their software (facepalm).

Anyway, the actual battery voltage despite it reporting it was under 12 volts was actually 12.94 after sitting all day after the Alert and started just fine. Is anybody else having this problem or even use the dang thing? My in-laws insist we both have one for the accident awareness and safety reasons, but winter's a coming and I don't want to find out this little thing is draining my battery and just hasn't killed it yet.

2016 Honda Fit EX 21k miles. (New battery installed in September)

Thank you all!

Old 11-02-2018, 10:40 PM
5 Year Member
I have heard that you should unplug them when you turn the car off. Does it say that it continues to run with the car off?

Old 11-03-2018, 02:59 AM
We have a 2012 Ford focus that this never happens with. The instructions say to leave it plugged in all the time because the anti theft features can't work without it. Maybe my unit is defective? Verizons tech support is no help.

Old 11-03-2018, 08:00 PM
So I looked It up and it says it continues to run in low power mode after you turn off the vehicle. I have been googling around the Internet and have found other people with similar type issues except my battery never Goes dead.

It happened again last night, and this morning when I check my battery it was at 12.94 V. I haven’t driven it all day and I just checked it again and it’s at 12.89 V. So even if there is something that is draining the battery, it is minuscule.

I guess other than an annoying false battery alert, this is a non-issue. It’s either a faulty unit that Verizon won’t replace, or there is something strange happening where the battery temporarily dips and then comes back up on its own without being charged...which seems unlikely.

Anyway, pretty lame for my first post :-)

Old 11-08-2018, 12:41 PM
5 Year Member
Not necessarily lame for a first post. Others here might be considering Hum, but perhaps not so enthusiastically now if you're having integration issues with your vehicle.

They need to make this right for you. You needn't pay for a subscription service where you continually get false alerts. Kinda defeats the purpose.

Either the generation is not correct (old tech) and interfering, or the software doesn't work properly. Either way, it's on them.

If the latest generation prevents miniscule low voltage false alerts, then I'd ask them to upgrade me at no charge, since their lesser version throws false alerts.

If the generation makes no difference, then you have to decide whether you want to live with it and whether it's worth it for the price.