2nd Generation GE8 Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Solar battery maintainer/desulfator questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 06:27 PM
Solar battery maintainer/desulfator questions

Has anybody had experience keeping a rarely-driven Fit running with a solar battery maintainer? What about desulfating a neglected battery?

My mom has been unable to drive for about a year and her 2011 Fit's battery won't keep a charge. Presumably it has become sulfated.

It sounds like we'd have avoided this problem if we'd thought ahead and bought a battery maintainer. The car is parked in the street so a solar maintainer like this one would do the trick, right?

Amazon.com: Schumacher SP-200 2.4W Solar Battery Maintainer: Automotive

Now that the problem has happened, is there any hope that fully charging the battery and attaching a maintainer like the above will reverse the sulfation? Or should I bite the bullet and start with a new battery?

Note that I hear good things about these battery desulfators, but the manufacturer says their solar panels have to be mounted externally (not on a dashboard) - great in a back yard but not so good on the street.

SolarPulse | Xtreme Charge

Thanks for your advice.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:31 PM
Hm, I may have misunderstood which forum this belongs in - if somebody who knows better would like to move it to the right place, many thanks! #sorryn00b :-]