3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Signal Mystery Solved

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 09:16 AM
5 Year Member
Huh..
You learn something new all the time.
I've never used this "feature". Because I didn't know the signal stalk was designed to do this.
I'm hesitant to change my normal operating procedure, which is just to signal myself...and turn off the signal myself. But it's nice to know the vehicle CAN do this.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:48 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah these auto 3 blinks can get annoying when u mistakenly bump the stalk and it starts flashing so you try to stop it out of habit by hitting the stalk the other way, only for the car to 3 additional times on the wrong side of the car. lol

Old 11-26-2018, 06:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
yah these auto 3 blinks can get annoying when u mistakenly bump the stalk and it starts flashing so you try to stop it out of habit by hitting the stalk the other way, only for the car to 3 additional times on the wrong side of the car. lol
Yes! Now that I know, I can just ignore it and wait for the three flashes to stop.

Old 11-26-2018, 09:00 AM
5 Year Member
Well I tested it on my 2016 EX.
And yes indeed, it operates as described.
So..for me it's never been a problem. Nor a great feature. Whenever I feel the need to signal, I just like turning the signal on, and then turning it off once I'm through, if the movement isn't enough to automatically turn it off. That's the habit I've developed over the years. I don't foresee me using the "tap" method very often as 3 blinks just isn't enough and/or it's too much.
The whole idea behind a signal, is to convey your intentions, and I want to make sure I'm doing that through and entire turn or lane change.

But it's kind of neat to know it does do this, even if I'm not going to use it.

Suppose the trick is always remembering to turn your signal off when finished. I hate following or being beside someone who has forgotten their signal is on. That's dangerous.

Last edited by fitchet; 11-26-2018 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
Definitely! Speaking of turning, don't you hate it when the car in front of you wants to turn left, but he stops at the line, rather than entering the intersection? Then the light turns red, and you're stuck there for another cycle. Don't people realize that when the light is green they can enter the intersection?
You may not enter an intersection unless you can proceed all the way through. Waiting at the stop line is generally and technically the correct thing to do. Like with anything, you may need to make some adjustments, but you should not park yourself in the middle of the intersection waiting for traffic to clear so that you can turn left. This is simply not the right way at all. I'm a professional driver holding a Commercial License since 1991. I've attended numerous driver safety training courses, some state approved, and taught many more as well. People do things that they shouldn't while driving every day, but that doesn't make these actions legal. A good example is passing on the shoulder. Take a 2 lane road with a yellow line on the left and a white line on the right. If the vehicle ahead is waiting to turn left, you should not be passing on the right if you are using the marked shoulder to do so. The shoulder is for emergencies and not everyday driving. If you wouldn't drive on the shoulder, why is it ok to pass there? It's not. In my local area of NYS, there are signs posted "no passing on shoulder" in some places. Signs or not, the rule applies statewide. There are some states that allow drivers to use the shoulder, provided they remain on the paved road.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:20 AM
5 Year Member
Smile

I'm not a fan of the 3 blink minimum.

Old 11-27-2018, 10:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by LLLC1393
You may not enter an intersection unless you can proceed all the way through. Waiting at the stop line is generally and technically the correct thing to do. Like with anything, you may need to make some adjustments, but you should not park yourself in the middle of the intersection waiting for traffic to clear so that you can turn left. This is simply not the right way at all. I'm a professional driver holding a Commercial License since 1991. I've attended numerous driver safety training courses, some state approved, and taught many more as well. People do things that they shouldn't while driving every day, but that doesn't make these actions legal. A good example is passing on the shoulder. Take a 2 lane road with a yellow line on the left and a white line on the right. If the vehicle ahead is waiting to turn left, you should not be passing on the right if you are using the marked shoulder to do so. The shoulder is for emergencies and not everyday driving. If you wouldn't drive on the shoulder, why is it ok to pass there? It's not. In my local area of NYS, there are signs posted "no passing on shoulder" in some places. Signs or not, the rule applies statewide. There are some states that allow drivers to use the shoulder, provided they remain on the paved road.
If the light is green, you can enter the intersection and wait for an opening to turn left. The light is green, so stopping at the line is not necessary. You can go through the intersection when there is no oncoming traffic, so it you are not creating a gridlock situation by getting stuck there when the light turns red.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
If the light is green, you can enter the intersection and wait for an opening to turn left. The light is green, so stopping at the line is not necessary. You can go through the intersection when there is no oncoming traffic, so it you are not creating a gridlock situation by getting stuck there when the light turns red.
Maybe in your state, not where I live....we have to wait at the entrance to the intersection when turning....it is what it is

Old 11-27-2018, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fuelish
Maybe in your state, not where I live....we have to wait at the entrance to the intersection when turning....it is what it is
Yes, traffic laws vary by state, so out-of-state drivers can be caught off guard.

Old 11-28-2018, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by 2015FITEX
I'm not a fan of the 3 blink minimum.
My 09 lancer had a setting to alter the number of "lane change blinks". I find 3 is fine. There are times, if i'm pending the slot opening in the next lane I'll find myself double tapping it.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:20 PM
My 2008 Saturn/Vauxhall Astra had this feature. There was even a way to make it blink 5 times (which I never got around to changing).

Old 12-03-2018, 07:20 AM
5 Year Member
I've accepted the three-blink challenge. Can you change lanes in three blinks? Gotta say it makes for quick manuevering, kinda fun ....