3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Worthwhile upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
Worthwhile upgrades?

I found this article a couple weeks back and though it isn't Fit-centered, I wondered what others' thoughts were on the upgrades it listed. For example I know iridium plugs are OEM on the Fit EX, but what about the other items? Any tinkerers want to weigh in on how worthwhile they are?

https://gearpatrol.com/2018/08/03/ea...upgrades-2018/

- Phil

Old 12-26-2018, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
edited

because auto x rules make my post useless

Last edited by evilchargerfan; 12-28-2018 at 06:46 AM.
Old 12-26-2018, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member
I agree with evilcharger except with the short shift kit. It is not needed but think about how many times you shift the car?!? Had one on my Civic and loved it every time I needed to change a gear. It adds to the driving pleasure IMO.

That engine mods listed are more for performance cars. Suspension and tires are always a great bang for the buck mod on the Fit.

Old 12-26-2018, 07:11 PM
5 Year Member
edited

ready to give up on this forum

Last edited by evilchargerfan; 12-28-2018 at 06:49 AM.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:26 PM
Suspension upgrades are pretty much worthwhile for the GK. The Progress rear sway adds a different dynamic with the 16" Sport wheels/tires. Probably better with stickier rubber and/or HFP suspension. Definitely not much better with 14" winters Michelin X-Ice on steelies like I have now.

Power upgrades don't really add value since the diminutive engine doesn't produce a lot to begin with. I agree with most reviews online about this thing being a reincarnation of the older Civics - with a dash of modern technology. Way more fun to drive at the limit.

I feel the short shift is pretty much useless since the Fit's flywheel doesn't spin down fast enough to make the short shift actually useful. You'll just sit there waiting for the rev s to drop. I got rid of that and just got me a weighted stainless steel shift knob. That actually felt better for shifting.

Cosmetically, it already looks good with the Sports cosmetic appearance. Tints for all that window real estate in the summer definitely helps.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:15 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
Thanks for posting this Phil. I hope one day, this discussion becomes a sticky and rids the world of those "what intake should I buy" type of threads.

Here are my $0.02 on that list:
  • Fresh Tires - Though I have cheap'd out, common knowledge suggests that sticky tires = REALLY improves handling characteristics. I'm setting up my car for auto-x and sticky tires is my last "mod" before show time.
  • New Spark Plugs - In the case of my WRX, 1-step colder plugs was a necessary mod when someone goes stage 3, I don't see this making a diff in a GK5.
  • Engine Control Unit (ECU) Flash - KTUNER owner here (get ready for bias), This is the ONE mod I cant emphasize enough, that EVERYONE should buy, who wants "performance". Skip intakes, exhaust, buy a damn ktuner! (seriously, just buy one, and thank me later)
  • Install a Cold-Air Intake - Makes almost no diff in power, makes MPG worse, and makes a lot of loud noises. A lot of money spent, for virtually no gains.... IMO ... SKIP (unless you're ktuned for it)
  • Bolt In a High-Flow Exhaust - Similar opinion to the intake as far as little gains for a lot of money. Though I will give this one a pass because it looks sweet, sounds good, and does help with a little response.
  • Replace Your Bushings - For those who want handling, and predictable turning response, IMO this is a MUST DO. I feel that most people over look bushings, due to lack of awareness, or the sheer amount of labor involved for install. I personally did LCA (front and rear) bushings, Rear Beam bushings, Rigid Collars, and Torque Rod. The car handles well even going straight on the highway, less "slop", and turns are SHARP and predictable.
  • Install a Sway Bar - I did the rear, and it did help the car corner more flat. I plan to one day do the front sway, and will eventually report back once that happens
  • Install a Short Shifter - I think I will skip this one, I did it on the WRX and its not a "need" (imo)
Sorry, but before any "mod" for autocross, one should read the rules and determine what class they want to run in. Otherwise your mods might bump you into a class where guys by $12K Penske shocks to be competitive and you'll never be competitive with the car. Second thing would be instruction. Depending on your level of experience either from the local SCCA region or if you have some experience then EVO school. The next mod should be tires. Tires do more than anything. I don't care what suspension or brake upgrades you have. If you have shit tires the car won't stop or corner as well. I'd take a stock car with Bridgestone RE-71R over a car with springs, shocks, sway bar with shit tires. After tires I would get an alignment. I wouldn't even consider making any mods until I raced the car at minimum 2-3 times for someone with autocross experience and if new to the sport probably most of the season if not a full season?

Old 12-28-2018, 06:47 AM
5 Year Member
edited my words .... because of "rules"

Old 12-28-2018, 09:37 AM
5 Year Member
edited my words .... because of "rules"

It's your car do what you want to it. I really don't care.

I'm just trying to save you or anyone else interested in autocross time and money. I did it myself. Modded my WRX and had to remove them because I wanted to stay in the stock or street class. It's very common. Most modify their cars and then go autocross and find out what class their car is now in because of "some" of the modifications.

End of the day, it really depends on what you want to do? If you're serious about autocross and want to be competitive then one needs to read the rules, pick a class and setup the car within the rules for the class. If you're out for fun, want to learn car control, don't care where you place within the class or on PAX and are okay with being 169/170 people then build your vision and go race it . Another option is instead of the local SCCA region, go autocross with the local BMW, Miata, Corvette or whatever club runs by their own house rules and just clumps other brands into generic categories such as non-turbo FWD and doesn't care what you do with your car.

I get by your post and editing you don't want anyones opinion? Maybe someone else might? This will be my 5th year of autocross in two ultra competitive SCCA regions that every year produce some class champions and trophy winners at the annual SCCA Solo nationals. I learned the hard way and luckily found some local mentors that helped me and my program. Unfortunately, I had to waste time and money beforehand.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:37 AM
5 Year Member
ready to give up on this forum
This. For many reasons.

Old 12-28-2018, 11:23 AM
5 Year Member
before going off on a tangent .... if we all just take the op's words face value, he was reading an article titled:

8 Ways to Breathe New Life into Your Old Ride

it never mentions auto x (nor its level of competitiveness) or any form of racing, one would assume all the op cares about are things like .... well ... ways to breathe some life in the ride. quoted from the linked article: "no one would blame you if you felt like you wanted something more — more power, better handling, a smoother ride" ... and yet... here we are, making assumptions and telling people what to buy.

I wont waste any more energy as I do not feel there will be any benefit in partaking in this pissing contest, and I'll simply wish the op GL on his hunt for a little more enjoyment out of his car.

To our resident auto x champ, you make great points, and credit is due there. I'm sure all of those on here, who are that super duper serious about being competitive with their honda fits and racing for trophys .... will enjoy your knowledge. I promise in the future, to clarify on things like:

before:
I'm setting up my car for auto-x
after:
I'm setting up my car for auto-x like activities, which involve no rules/competition level, doing it purely for fun, dont intend to win trophys, and may need to find it in my budget to buy better tires to daily on and auto x on .... as my all season crap tires just wont cut it

Old 12-28-2018, 11:29 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sneefy
This. For many reasons.
I was genuinely excited for this thread Sneef. I was hoping, it'd be a central place to discuss "mods", as most new gk5 (and other gen) owners always seem to gravitate towards.... "I just picked up this sweet ride, what should I mod?!" .... a very noble and reasonable topic.

Fast forward ... things turn into a manure-show .... and I'm ready to pull a UnFitRick/USDM and stop posting altogether.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
Yep. When the most active long-term members here behave the way they do, it's time to let them have their little world to themselves.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:22 PM
5 Year Member
I've wondered where UnFitRick went. His thread was interesting and I enjoyed reading good posts. I think USDM was getting rid of his car but he seems to still do some moderating on here.

I also like seeing what ECF is cooking up. He's always doing something different.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sneefy
Yep. When the most active long-term members here behave the way they do, it's time to let them have their little world to themselves.
IDK what this means.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
IDK what this means.
I'm not surprised.

Old 12-28-2018, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
mike has a unique way with words, I've slowly learned to appreciate his .... unique view and ways

Old 12-28-2018, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
mike has a unique way with words, I've slowly learned to appreciate his .... unique view and ways
hahaha that sounds about right tbh

I'm a useful GD/GE resource, GK stuff doe.....useless on all but wheel stuffs (or reading basic spring rate stuff)

Old 12-28-2018, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
"Unique" is one way to describe it, lol.

Old 12-28-2018, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
hes earned my respect. even though sometimes hes a big meanie.

I like to think of him as the soup nazi from that 1 episode of seinfeld.

Old 12-28-2018, 04:58 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by brooklynfall
I found this article a couple weeks back and though it isn't Fit-centered, I wondered what others' thoughts were on the upgrades it listed. For example I know iridium plugs are OEM on the Fit EX, but what about the other items? Any tinkerers want to weigh in on how worthwhile they are?

https://gearpatrol.com/2018/08/03/ea...upgrades-2018/

- Phil
ive had the GK for coming up 4 yrs and ive not done any of those listed. tires is a good investment if you plan to do spirited driving, but the others are more a preference item. on an NA engine most intake and exhaust dont do much, reflashes can sometimes improve throttle curve and response but again, no big gains. but with intake/exhaust you do get more sound which can be appealing and make your drive more enjoyable.

this day and age, a hot hatch/sports compact car requires a turbo engine so if i was you, i would just leave the GK the way it is and use it for practical purposes. just save your money for a dedicated fun car. GL in your choices.

Quick Reply: Worthwhile upgrades?