3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Break fluid exchange recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 07:21 PM
5 Year Member
Break fluid exchange recommendations

I took my 2015 EX to Honda shop with bad battery. They replaced battery for $150. This is the second time. Car is 4 years old now. No warranty. First time they replaced it for free. They also suggested for brake fluid exchange for $99 and fuel induction service for $129.95. Wondering if there is any outside shops to do these jobs for cheaper. Is it mandatory to do fuel induction service. I never heard this before.

Old 02-23-2019, 09:03 PM
5 Year Member
Most any auto parts store will test your battery for free and replace it if necessary, all while you wait. You'll also be able to choose which level of battery quality you prefer and get a warranty, all for a lot less than $150.

Brake fluid should be replaced every two or three years, but many of us go longer. I do it myself, so don't know what's a fair price for the work. The fluid for our cars costs at most $10 and for a shop, the job is a cinch. $99 seems high, but probably not outrageous in this day and age.

I'd skip the "fuel induction service" -- it indeed sounds ridiculous. If you wish, buy a $6 bottle of fuel injector cleaner at the auto parts store or Wal-Mart and pour it in the tank with your next fill-up.

Good luck with your Fit. :-)

Last edited by Alco RS-1; 02-23-2019 at 09:05 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Alco RS-1
Most any auto parts store will test your battery for free and replace it if necessary, all while you wait. You'll also be able to choose which level of battery quality you prefer and get a warranty, all for a lot less than $150.

Brake fluid should be replaced every two or three years, but many of us go longer. I do it myself, so don't know what's a fair price for the work. The fluid for our cars costs at most $10 and for a shop, the job is a cinch. $99 seems high, but probably not outrageous in this day and age.

I'd skip the "fuel induction service" -- it indeed sounds ridiculous. If you wish, buy a $6 bottle of fuel injector cleaner at the auto parts store or Wal-Mart and pour it in the tank with your next fill-up.

Good luck with your Fit. :-)
Thanks for the feedback. I will get it done when I visit honda shop next time. I will also ask around local shops and see how much they are charging. Is there any special honda fluid we have to put in like transmission fluid? If i go to local shop, there is also a worry about putting some off brand stuff and run into more issues in future. Regarding induction, i will try to buy injector cleaner and pour into the tank after filling up gas next time (Not sure if it is before or after).
Thanks

Thanks

Old 02-26-2019, 09:54 AM
5 Year Member
Your owner's manual will prescribe the brake fluid required. My Gen2 Fit needs common DOT3 which is found everywhere and I'll wager that your Gen3 uses the same stuff. DOT3 is not a Honda product number -- it's a widely recognized brake fluid specification that's emblazoned in large font on the bottle. In any case, I'd trust that whatever shop you choose will use the right stuff for your ride.

It doesn't make any difference whether you pour the fuel injector cleaner in your gas before or after the fill-up, though pouring it in first may mix it up a wee bit better.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:11 PM
5 Year Member
Will this Chevron fluid work? Is it going to help with DI engines also or do we need to put in some special fuel,

https://www.autozone.com/deals/dealM...d18097-8-11065

Old 03-13-2019, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ritholtz
Will this Chevron fluid work? Is it going to help with DI engines also or do we need to put in some special fuel,

https://www.autozone.com/deals/dealM...d18097-8-11065
Why do you even need this?

Old 03-13-2019, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ritholtz
Will this Chevron fluid work? Is it going to help with DI engines also or do we need to put in some special fuel
This will help keep your fuel injectors clean and it's good stuff. Arguably, it may not be needed, but I add a bottle every 10K Miles or so.

To be clear though, no special fuel or fuel additive will help keep DI engine intake valves clean because the fuel/air mixture doesn't pass over the backside of the valves.