3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Rust-Proofing Vehicle Instructions Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 10:20 AM
Rust-Proofing Vehicle Instructions Help

I recently purchased a Honda Fit 2015 and I was advised to rust proof it, especially in our canadian winters. I was planning on doing it myself to save some money, however was having trouble finding a clear guide to follow.

I am specifically looking for the following:
- What holes (and where) to spray with rust inhibitor spray, found this guide, https://www.otoprotec.com/en/rust-pr...cation-guide-1, but looking for something more specific to honda fit 2015.
- How to rust-proof back of tires (this is pretty clear in video)
- To rust-proof undercarriage, do I need to remove the undercarriage protector before spraying. Or should this area be avoided.
- How to rust-proof the undercarriage of car, what to avoid and what to spray. I found this guide,
, but prefer to get something a bit more specific to honda fit 2015.
- Anything else I am missing

Thank you in advance

Last edited by torqueNoFriction; 06-19-2019 at 10:21 AM. Reason: made text more clear
Old 06-20-2019, 05:55 AM
I had my first 2007 Fit cure with Honda rust proof and sensor....absolutely worth it Is 10years guarantied and I haven seen the rust at all Now 2 years ago bought 20015 Fit after lease [not my lease] and made them Rust proof for additional $900 [bargain] regular $1000+tax and I see is worth You will never do same quality treatment with can you show in video...that's just my 2cents

Old 06-20-2019, 06:05 AM
Originally Posted by JazzSus
I had my first 2007 Fit cure with Honda rust proof and sensor....absolutely worth it Is 10years guarantied and I haven seen the rust at all Now 2 years ago bought 20015 Fit after lease [not my lease] and made them Rust proof for additional $900 [bargain] regular $1000+tax and I see is worth You will never do same quality treatment with can you show in video...that's just my 2cents
Dosent seem to bad and seems pretty straight forward. Just herd some mixed reviews about this. Some people saying it's worst to put rust proofing (cracks form and hold water) and you don't really need it.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:43 AM
Do you see many rusty cars where you live? I haven't had a car rust in decades. I kept a 1995 Infiniti G-20 for 15 years in NY. Never garaged. Parked two hours a day literally thirty feet from the ocean most days. No problems. Same for my next car, a 2010 Fit I owned for 6 years.

Old 06-21-2019, 07:10 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
Do you see many rusty cars where you live? I haven't had a car rust in decades. I kept a 1995 Infiniti G-20 for 15 years in NY. Never garaged. Parked two hours a day literally thirty feet from the ocean most days. No problems. Same for my next car, a 2010 Fit I owned for 6 years.
Depends on the vehicle too. I had a 97 Tacoma that frame rusted through. Fortunately it was covered under a Toyota warranty extension and they bought the vehicle for something like 1.5x the KBB excellent value of the vehicle. I forget the numbers, but I got more money back than what I purchased the vehicle for since I had bought it used.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by Brain Champagne
You've never owned a Mazda, have you? Lol! I've seen the same cars that you've mentioned totally rusted out. Garaged cars are sometimes known to accelerate the rusting.

Last edited by Action Jackson; 06-21-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by torqueNoFriction
I recently purchased a Honda Fit 2015 and I was advised to rust proof it, especially in our canadian winters. I was planning on doing it myself to save some money, however was having trouble finding a clear guide to follow.

I am specifically looking for the following:
- What holes (and where) to spray with rust inhibitor spray, found this guide, https://www.otoprotec.com/en/rust-pr...cation-guide-1, but looking for something more specific to honda fit 2015.
- How to rust-proof back of tires (this is pretty clear in video)
- To rust-proof undercarriage, do I need to remove the undercarriage protector before spraying. Or should this area be avoided.
- How to rust-proof the undercarriage of car, what to avoid and what to spray. I found this guide, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPsGA0GDveU&t=755s, but prefer to get something a bit more specific to honda fit 2015.
- Anything else I am missing

Thank you in advance
I've had all my cars rust protected with Krown Rust. They do drill some holes in the doors and hatch (I've only owned hatchbacks) and plug them with rubber caps. I know that they spray into those holes, pretty much the entire engine bay and the entire undercarriage. When my Mazda Protege5 was totalled, I managed to remove the suspension with ease even after several nasty winters. Rust was minimal and my quarter panels were still intact.