3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

2015 Honda fit won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 10:01 PM
2015 Honda fit won't start

Hi, this Tuesday after work and I was ready to go home, but I could not start my 2015 Honda Fit. I pushed the start button and the light is on and it shows the power is on and thats it. I could not drive the car and when I was trying the second time, the brake pedal was so stiff. And later on, I was able to start my car and went home. On that same night, it happened again, so my friend need to jump start my car.

the next day, ,I went to school and some other places, everything was fine, no troubles, no surprises. I went to get my oil changed, when I was ready to go home, it happened again, I asked the person who changed my oil, he tried a lot of times, it was fine..and then it happened again, he had to push the start button twice to start the car. He said, oh probably its the starter.

I wonder if anyone had the same experience before.. Any idea what is going on. It happened last year in August, I called the AAA roadside assistance, the person who came said not the starter because the sound is different... its the battery, so I changed the battery in August 2018.

And now, it happened again....

Old 04-27-2019, 01:21 PM
5 Year Member
It could be the battery
Ive had the same issues as you and each time it's been the battery.
My fit has 205k
Ive swapped out a battery every year since 15
I also have subs in the fit which drains out more power than usual.. But that's what I think it is based off what you said.
Can't be starter cause not even my starter has gone out
Also My alternator finally gave out today
My fit was in drive, wouldn't go, just Rev, and the power steering gave out.. Battery light will go on too if it's alternator
And say check charging system
So it can't be that either

Best bet its your battery

Old 04-29-2019, 09:59 AM
Was AAA the one who replaced your battery in August? Even if not, it should still be under the battery's warranty period.

Old 05-04-2019, 02:01 AM
Not AAA, the AAA guy told me its the battery, so I got the battery from Pep Boys, and I went to Pep boys after the "surprise" that I could not start the car, they checked the battery, and the battery still good. I went to the place to have oil change, they also checked the battery, still good!!! So I do believe its the starter...

Old 05-04-2019, 02:04 AM
I went to the store where I got the battery, they checked it and its good battery, few days ago, I went to get my oil changed, the guy also checked the battery for me, yes, its a good battery. he told me might be the starter. And tonight, the car didn't' start again for the second time !!!!! Will call the mechanic to diagnose and maybe change the starter!!! its only 47000 miles, I thought starter will go bad after 90000 miles!!

Old 05-06-2019, 08:06 AM
5 Year Member
I've seen reports of starters going prematurely on some cars. Not an expert but something about the starter gear teeth wearing out. After a few presses, the teeth fall in place that aren't worn and eventually it starts. But it keeps getting worse the longer you don't fix it eventually not starting at all. Some have been able to get Honda to help with the cost of the repair. Good luck.

Old 05-09-2019, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
As I type this, my '16 EX CVT (<60K miles) is at the dealership for this exact issue. Already in contact with American Honda and looks like they will cover majority of the cost even though the car is out of warranty. Starter isn't supposed to fail this early. I recommend getting in touch with AHM Customer Service, get a case open, talk to a case manager before heading to the dealership.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:06 AM
I recently begin having the same problem on my 2015 Honda Fit EX (42,000 miles). I push the Start button and it immediately goes into accessory mode instead of starting the vehicle. So far it starts on the second attempt. The problem is intermittent perhaps every 3 - 4 times I get in the vehicle. I sent an email to Honda customer service as ColonelHeero suggested. I'm reading it can costs up to $1000 to replace the Starter by the dealer.

Old 06-21-2019, 01:56 PM
Starter issue

The problem is definitely the starter. When you turn the key, the twisting mechanism has teeth that will sink in and crank. Some of the teeth are missing, damaged, so nothing happens. You’ll have to turn the key again and again, until one of the good teeth is able to match up with the mechanism, in order to start. $800+ to replace.