3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Quality Issues with new Fit

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
Agree.

Granted the 2016 Honda Fit's will be coming out probably between the 2nd/3rd 'Qtr of 2015- suppose to have revised front bumper and grill- maybe a few exterior color changes and multiple engine options.

There's got to be a few more minor cosmetic lapse's but we'll be looking at potential mechanical defects- since 2016 Fits will start with the installation of transmissions manufactured at the new Honda Transmission Plant in Celaya, MX- which is adjacent to the automobile plant.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:35 PM
Does anyone else have a rattling sound somewhere in the dash? I have a creak/rattle on the passenger side dash. I tried poking the dash to see if part of it was squeezing against another part, but I can't get rid of the noise.

I also have a clunking sound in the rear suspension that nobody is able to diagnose. Better in warm weather but still present.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by KenBT
Agree.

Granted the 2016 Honda Fit's will be coming out probably between the 2nd/3rd 'Qtr of 2015- suppose to have revised front bumper and grill- maybe a few exterior color changes and multiple engine options.

There's got to be a few more minor cosmetic lapse's but we'll be looking at potential mechanical defects- since 2016 Fits will start with the installation of transmissions manufactured at the new Honda Transmission Plant in Celaya, MX- which is adjacent to the automobile plant.
??? New front bumper and grill?

Old 03-27-2015, 11:40 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by 8strung
??? New front bumper and grill?

Keep informed!

You can find this all over- but here's a link to some information...

2016 HONDA FIT DESIGN AND SPECS - 2016 RELEASE DATE 2017

Old 03-27-2015, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member
Keep informed!

You can find this all over- but here's a link to some information...

2016 HONDA FIT DESIGN AND SPECS - 2016 RELEASE DATE 2017
Somehow I'm not convinced, either by the link or with Honda launching the H-RV and the new CVT in Mexico. Also rumors of a new Civic soon, plus the Pilot and Ridgeline. Their marketing and production folks would be stretched too thin.

Old 03-28-2015, 12:06 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by exl500
Somehow I'm not convinced, either by the link or with Honda launching the H-RV and the new CVT in Mexico. Also rumors of a new Civic soon, plus the Pilot and Ridgeline. Their marketing and production folks would be stretched too thin.

Well if you yahoo- it you will see lots of sources on it.

Granted on a side thought- Toyota has a new plant in MX as well- they were suppose to build approximately 50,000 cars for Mazda- since the Plant is a combination of Toyota/Mazda. The 2016 Mazda2 was suppose to come to US this year- but about a month ago- Mazda changed plans and has no plans to release it for the time being to US.

The plant was presumed to build the replacement Yaris- which is what Mazda2 was going the use- the platform and Mazda was contributing their
powertrain, etc.

Then all of a sudden in the past few weeks- Scion teases and confirms they are coming out with 2 new Scions soon- rumor is- one or both coming out of that new Toyota/Mazda venture plant in MX.

Let the games begin... again!

Last edited by KenBT; 03-28-2015 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Was informed my Mazda Dealership on Mazda2 change- and I also talked with Mazda USA to confirm!
Old 03-28-2015, 09:58 AM
Originally Posted by hondafit2015
Does anyone else have a rattling sound somewhere in the dash? I have a creak/rattle on the passenger side dash. I tried poking the dash to see if part of it was squeezing against another part, but I can't get rid of the noise.

I also have a clunking sound in the rear suspension that nobody is able to diagnose. Better in warm weather but still present.
Happy to say no rattles, but I got a nice clunk in the back last week when tapping the brakes with extra vigor; pretty sure it was the spare shifting in the storage compartment.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:54 AM
First- sorry to hear and see this.

Where is the paint chip- Secondly- you must live a DANGEROUS life- trying the Honda paint chip stuff on the BOSS'es car first- there might be a body
depression on your HOOD next- if the paint chip thing- didn't look good on
her car- lol!
Well, the thing is her civic was scratched from a little fender bender. So i can just work on a tiny spot and check the results, she won't even notice. I'll tell her after i do it if it turns out good If not ill just wait for her to notice, if she ever does ill just blame it on the accident. Bullet proof plan.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:20 AM
Originally Posted by hondafit2015

Yes, I have the creak in the passenger side dash, I believe it is only when it's cold. Same for the clunking in the rear suspension.

Old 03-30-2015, 10:43 PM
So I'd like to announce, after having the car for three days, Freeway Honda in Santa Ana took care of all my main worries.

Issues I brought up to the dealer:
1) Sound from the front suspension
2) warped weatherstripping/leaking door
3) misaligned door

Did not mention TPMS issue because the light happened to have been turned off and was not turning on again at time of delivery (had reset it a day or so earlier, usually comes on 2-3 times a week). That and I've reset it so often its kind of a daily ritual thing when I get in the car now.

All three were taken care of. They had to order the rubber seal, so I had to bring the car back in a week later, but they took the car (and gave me a company loaner! An Accord, which by the way the build quality, motor, drive, everything about that car is much better).

They had to fix the seal first, to make sure it wasn't the cause of the front suspension noise. After fixing the seal, and realigning my severely misaligned right-side doors, they then diagnosed the sound as a blown front strut. They had to order the front strut, which came in the next day, and they replaced that.

By that time, they had the car for three days (originally planned to have it two), so I had left the car down south and went back home (80 miles north). The dealer had no problem with me keeping their loaner car for an additional day, when I would be able to go back down there (hooray for accommodating the customer!).

So, wind noise is about half of what it used to be, door does not leak, both passenger side doors can CLOSE now on the first try, the suspension is not wobbling and making noises, and the car DRIVES MUCH BETTER. It drives better than any time I've ever had it since... ever. Turns are sharper, not floaty, does not drift on the freeway, doesn't bounce... AND the TPMS has not come on since the dealer visit! WHAAAAAAAT (thats like 2 days and 300 miles!)

The issues that are still there:
Paint issues
Rear chrome piece is discoloring
steering wheel gap
front bumper misalignment

I can live with the above for now, as I can finally let out a deep breath of frustration and sit in that car without cursing it.

I think the service advisor thought I was weird when I did a dance of glee around the car when I was able to close my passenger doors.

He said my doors were seriously out of whack, and he had no idea what the Honda rep or other dealerships were doing. The gap between the front and rear doors is now the same as the driver side, and its not sticking out in the back anymore, and the seal sits flat so water doesn't get in the door anymore. I think the way it is NOW should be "in spec" not before, thank you very much.

Anyways, Freeway Honda, Santa Ana. I got great service and great support there. I will say its a common attitude amongst Honda dealerships to not believe anything you say when you say its wrong. In the end, the service advisor said "we didn't believe you when you said anything was wrong, and it turns out everything you said was true."

That made me feel way better.

They ALSO washed my car (mixed on this, because I usually don't like it when dealers wash my car, but also don't like it when its not even offered, but hey +1 for this dealership. None of the other dealerships even offered).

Old 03-31-2015, 01:48 AM
Hmmm just got a customer survey, since they know I got service done at a Honda dealership...
Why is it they only want my opinion once I actually get some service that I thought was well done? Never got a survey any of the other time(s) the vehicle was serviced, or bought.

I rated Freeway Honda pretty well, but ran into the character limits regarding vehicle reliability, issues, and feedback.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by Bigbadvoodooguru
So I'd like to announce, after having the car for three days, Freeway Honda in Santa Ana took care of all my main worries.

Issues I brought up to the dealer:
1) Sound from the front suspension
2) warped weatherstripping/leaking door
3) misaligned door

Did not mention TPMS issue because the light happened to have been turned off and was not turning on again at time of delivery (had reset it a day or so earlier, usually comes on 2-3 times a week). That and I've reset it so often its kind of a daily ritual thing when I get in the car now.

All three were taken care of. They had to order the rubber seal, so I had to bring the car back in a week later, but they took the car (and gave me a company loaner! An Accord, which by the way the build quality, motor, drive, everything about that car is much better).

They had to fix the seal first, to make sure it wasn't the cause of the front suspension noise. After fixing the seal, and realigning my severely misaligned right-side doors, they then diagnosed the sound as a blown front strut. They had to order the front strut, which came in the next day, and they replaced that.

By that time, they had the car for three days (originally planned to have it two), so I had left the car down south and went back home (80 miles north). The dealer had no problem with me keeping their loaner car for an additional day, when I would be able to go back down there (hooray for accommodating the customer!).

So, wind noise is about half of what it used to be, door does not leak, both passenger side doors can CLOSE now on the first try, the suspension is not wobbling and making noises, and the car DRIVES MUCH BETTER. It drives better than any time I've ever had it since... ever. Turns are sharper, not floaty, does not drift on the freeway, doesn't bounce... AND the TPMS has not come on since the dealer visit! WHAAAAAAAT (thats like 2 days and 300 miles!)

The issues that are still there:
Paint issues
Rear chrome piece is discoloring
steering wheel gap
front bumper misalignment

I can live with the above for now, as I can finally let out a deep breath of frustration and sit in that car without cursing it.

I think the service advisor thought I was weird when I did a dance of glee around the car when I was able to close my passenger doors.

He said my doors were seriously out of whack, and he had no idea what the Honda rep or other dealerships were doing. The gap between the front and rear doors is now the same as the driver side, and its not sticking out in the back anymore, and the seal sits flat so water doesn't get in the door anymore. I think the way it is NOW should be "in spec" not before, thank you very much.

Anyways, Freeway Honda, Santa Ana. I got great service and great support there. I will say its a common attitude amongst Honda dealerships to not believe anything you say when you say its wrong. In the end, the service advisor said "we didn't believe you when you said anything was wrong, and it turns out everything you said was true."

That made me feel way better.

They ALSO washed my car (mixed on this, because I usually don't like it when dealers wash my car, but also don't like it when its not even offered, but hey +1 for this dealership. None of the other dealerships even offered).

Did they also fix the front bumper misalignment too? Mine has on front bumper and going to dealer this weekend.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:37 AM
5 Year Member
Well if you yahoo- it you will see lots of sources on it.

Granted on a side thought- Toyota has a new plant in MX as well- they were suppose to build approximately 50,000 cars for Mazda- since the Plant is a combination of Toyota/Mazda. The 2016 Mazda2 was suppose to come to US this year- but about a month ago- Mazda changed plans and has no plans to release it for the time being to US.

The plant was presumed to build the replacement Yaris- which is what Mazda2 was going the use- the platform and Mazda was contributing their
powertrain, etc.

Then all of a sudden in the past few weeks- Scion teases and confirms they are coming out with 2 new Scions soon- rumor is- one or both coming out of that new Toyota/Mazda venture plant in MX.
The plant is a Mazda plant, not a joint venture plant with Toyota. Mazda has been contracted, as you said, to build something for Toyota. That will most likely be the new Scion sedan. As for the next Mazda2, its production is slotted behind the Mazda CX3 which is expected to come out first since that market segment is in higher demand.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:41 PM
Originally Posted by GoBucky
Yes, I have the creak in the passenger side dash, I believe it is only when it's cold. Same for the clunking in the rear suspension.
I heard that noise in the back a few times as well. Strangely, I took the car today for the longest trip so far and didn't hear any strange sounds. I've only had it for 3 days.

Old 04-02-2015, 08:09 PM
I've had my blue Fit 2015 MT for 3 days now and have not noticed any unusual finish errors to the exterior. I don't even have a gap between the steering will grille and the black plastic in the bottom part ! The doors don't rub against each other and the sun visors have not fallen off yet.

When the radio is off and at moderate speeds or idle, I hear a ticking noise from the motor inside the cabin. It's not loud but I can definitely hear it. I never noticed that in any of the cars I've had before. It might be lack of insulation. At highway speeds it can't be heard. It's not really bothersome just something I'm not accustomed to.

One thing I have noticed is that the steering wheel is just a tad off center when driving in a straight line. The steering wheel is pointing ever so slightly towards the right. Does anybody know if this can be adjusted easily by the dealer? I had a Nissan car that was like that as well and never got it adjusted (I stopped noticing it after a few weeks).

I'm happy with the car so far. The transmission is unbelievably smooth and the car is quite comfortable and responsive. I find the tire/suspension combination to be very soft. I'd rather have better handling and less comfort but that can be fixed eventually. The sound system could be much better but I wasn't expecting audiophile quality anyway. I would have gladly taken a better sound system over a backup camera but that's just me...

Old 04-14-2015, 10:23 AM
Originally Posted by mikeDF
I've had my blue Fit 2015 MT for 3 days now and have not noticed any unusual finish errors to the exterior. I don't even have a gap between the steering will grille and the black plastic in the bottom part ! The doors don't rub against each other and the sun visors have not fallen off yet.

When the radio is off and at moderate speeds or idle, I hear a ticking noise from the motor inside the cabin. It's not loud but I can definitely hear it. I never noticed that in any of the cars I've had before. It might be lack of insulation. At highway speeds it can't be heard. It's not really bothersome just something I'm not accustomed to.

One thing I have noticed is that the steering wheel is just a tad off center when driving in a straight line. The steering wheel is pointing ever so slightly towards the right. Does anybody know if this can be adjusted easily by the dealer? I had a Nissan car that was like that as well and never got it adjusted (I stopped noticing it after a few weeks).

I'm happy with the car so far. The transmission is unbelievably smooth and the car is quite comfortable and responsive. I find the tire/suspension combination to be very soft. I'd rather have better handling and less comfort but that can be fixed eventually. The sound system could be much better but I wasn't expecting audiophile quality anyway. I would have gladly taken a better sound system over a backup camera but that's just me...
My hearing got blown out in the Army, so I can't tell good sound from bad. The radio in the LX sounds just fine to me! I like the back-up camers. Use it all the time.

Old 04-14-2015, 10:44 PM
That ticking you are hearing is prob the direct injection, makes it sound like a little diesel.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bad/Andy/gk
That ticking you are hearing is prob the direct injection, makes it sound like a little diesel.
I concur. I think you're spot on.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Bad/Andy/gk
Haha, that's exactly it. When you open the hood, it does sound like a diesel.

I saw an online automotive review lately and the reviewer complained about the sound but said it subsided once the engine was run in. I don't even have 1000 km's on it so it might be true. We shall see.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by 2015FIT
2. On the driver's side, there is a gap between the dash and the A-pillar, and the piece of trim next to the small window is not flush with the rest of the dash. Others have reported this on this thread, and have taken pictures which look similar to what's going on with my Fit. The dealer has ordered the small trim piece that goes adjacent to the small window. Once the piece gets installed, I'll have to wait and see if that resolves the gap and the unevenness.............
-- UPDATE --. Regarding the gap between the dash and A-pillar an the unevenness between the trim piece by the little window and dash (both of these on the driver's side), my dealer fixed it (after 2.5 months of ordering the piece). The piece they replaced was the trim piece next to the small window, and how they fixed the rest, I'm not sure, but it looks good to me. You can see pics via the following link. Three of the pics show the gap and unevenness and one shows the fix.

Link: http://1drv.ms/1B41gH6

Quick Reply: Quality Issues with new Fit