3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Battery woes!

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 09:24 PM
Battery woes!

This is disturbing. I last drove my Fit on Friday afternoon. This evening I went to get something out of the car and it was locked, unusual thing was it wouldn't unlock. I pulled out my fob and hit the button but nothing, so I am thinking fob has gone bad and go get the wife's, same thing. So I reach in and unlock door, take note that this is the reason you have a key in your fob, so you, otherwise if the windows had been up and you don't have the key you are in serious trouble . Can access the car when the battery goes dead! I open door and get in, not a stitch of power, dead COMPLETELY dead! I am thinking I must have left something on but what? Light go out automatically, wasn't using the headlights and I leave it on auto anyway, no doors were ajar, no accessories plugged it in. I hook up my battery charger and let it charge for 15 minutes, this was barely enough to provide power to turn power on in car. Certainly not enough to start it. There are a series of things that happens here. First I have car pulled into garage so I cant get truck beside to jump. With no power you cant put the shifter i neutral unless you use your key to disengage the lock on the shifter.

I push car out of garage and get it started by jumping. Alternator is working cause it instantly boosts voltage to 14v. Of course at this point you better have your radio code or it isn't going to work! So a warning here, if you haven't retrieved you're radio code you better do it now and record it because it is not printed in manual or inside the glove box.

I took car out and drove for 30 minutes and when I came back it had enough to restart but probably. Won't in the morning. Battery is probably crap now that it has been drained 100%. I am going to get a new LARGER battery like it should have instead of this lawn mower battery. Don't see how this battery will make a winter.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator
your battery should be fine after driving that long, hopefully they were at highway speeds. i just recently revived a dead battery in my 2000 Accord which i haven't driven in a year. it was a brand new battery a year ago. it would start when boosted but wouldn't hold a charge. after idling it for 2 hours i drove up and down the parkway, 30 mile trip, and now it starts every time.

something drained your battery. my battery drain is my old viper alarm. i need to run the car every couple of days at least to maintain charge.7

Old 09-08-2014, 12:12 AM
I recall an internal communication to dealers that was cited on this forum a few weeks ago that instructed dealers to save all batteries for inspection by the mothership.

I suspect that they have had some QC issues with batteries.

It's under warranty. Get it replaced.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:19 AM
Oh yeah, one other annoying thing. When you start recharging the battery the alarm goes off and won't stop until there is enough battery voltage to hit the start button to stop it. :-p

Old 09-08-2014, 08:57 AM
5 Year Member
Where do you get your radio code and what is it?

I run my car every several days for about an hour...that's just how I use it. So far, so good.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:10 AM
Originally Posted by exl500
Where do you get your radio code and what is it?

I run my car every several days for about an hour...that's just how I use it. So far, so good.
Ok, here is how to get radio code. Go to the screen and hit the "info" selection, when that comes up Press the "menu" button then the "system info or settings button you see. That will give you the Device code. Record that then go to your Honda owners site online and find the retrieve radio code link. Put in your Vin and the device number and they will email you the code. You can then add it to your owners info online so you will always have it.

Last edited by tmfit; 09-08-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:27 AM
I contacted Honda and they said they had no notes about batteries but I am taking it in tomorrow so they can check it out. Service guy said about 20 minutes of the car not running and it kills the battery.May be his personal opinion but that was what he told me.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:45 AM
I've had a battery problem my alternator was fine I have the oem 9 volt battery. first it was good then it started giving me a slow start . Then it would die if I didn't start the car everyday . Check the fluid levels in my battery they were low got them filled up and it gave the battery a lil more life, after about week or so prob started again I ended up swapping out the battery to a 51r size battery it's more voltage then the stock oem fit battery u should look into swapping it out

Last edited by shottachris; 09-08-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
I recall an internal communication to dealers that was cited on this forum a few weeks ago that instructed dealers to save all batteries for inspection by the mothership.

I suspect that they have had some QC issues with batteries.

It's under warranty. Get it replaced.
What he said.^^^^

Old 09-08-2014, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by shottachris
I've had a battery problem my alternator was fine I have the oem 9 volt battery. first it was good then it started giving me a slow start . Then it would die if I didn't start the car everyday . Check the fluid levels in my battery they were low got them filled up and it gave the battery a lil more live after week or so prob started again I ended up swapping out the battery to a 51r size battery it's more voltage then the stock oem fit battery u should look into swapping it out
I am reserving that for the last ditch effort. Don't want to put a larger battery in under warranty unless I can't get satisfaction from Honda. It would just open up an opportunity for them to claim the more powerful battery was causing a problem with something else. With all the minders in the car that turn off accessory modes and lights if you leave them on I am leaning towards a bad cell in the battery. Even after driving for 1/2 hour last night and driving today I went out and checked the voltage and it has already dropped to 11.95v. That shouldn't be happenings on a brand new battery.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by tmfit
I contacted Honda and they said they had no notes about batteries...
"We haven't heard of any issues with that" is the standard answer.

Honda doesn't mention specific parts in internal communications if there isn't a problem and they have mentioned batteries.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...rsion-5-a.html

That motorcycle battery is a vulnerable item on the Fit. If it's perfect all is well, but get a bad one....

Last edited by GeorgeL; 09-08-2014 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
"We haven't heard of any issues with that" is the standard answer.

Honda doesn't mention specific parts in internal communications if there isn't a problem and they have mentioned batteries.

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...rsion-5-a.html

That motorcycle battery is a vulnerable item on the Fit. If it's perfect all is well, but get a bad one....
Thanks for the link George

Old 09-08-2014, 01:28 PM
The first think that I thought when I saw that little bitty battery is that when I need to replace it, and when the car is off warranty, I'd like to gut a bigger one that would give me more confidence for winter driving.

Anyone out there have info on an after market battery tray? Any problems with upgrading the battery?

Sorry for your troubles tmfit. My guess is you got a bad cell.

Old 09-08-2014, 01:40 PM
Now here is some impressive news, a while ago I got a PM from Honda Customer Service inquiring about the Vin and my Phone number, 20 minutes later they called me and said they would contact my dealer before my appointment and would call me back the day after! That is what I call service! I have never owned a Honda in my life outside of a generator and I switch not one but two vehicles to Honda in a 3 month period. Now I am glad I did! Way to go Honda!

Old 09-08-2014, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by dpmason
The first think that I thought when I saw that little bitty battery is that when I need to replace it, and when the car is off warranty, I'd like to gut a bigger one that would give me more confidence for winter driving.

Anyone out there have info on an after market battery tray? Any problems with upgrading the battery?

Sorry for your troubles tmfit. My guess is you got a bad cell.
I appreciate the comment Dpmason I also think I may have a bad cell.

Old 09-08-2014, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by tmfit
This is disturbing. I last drove my Fit on Friday afternoon. This evening I went to get something out of the car and it was locked, unusual thing was it wouldn't unlock. I pulled out my fob and hit the button but nothing, so I am thinking fob has gone bad and go get the wife's, same thing. So I reach in and unlock door, take note that this is the reason you have a key in your fob, so you, otherwise if the windows had been up and you don't have the key you are in serious trouble . Can access the car when the battery goes dead! I open door and get in, not a stitch of power, dead COMPLETELY dead! I am thinking I must have left something on but what? Light go out automatically, wasn't using the headlights and I leave it on auto anyway, no doors were ajar, no accessories plugged it in. I hook up my battery charger and let it charge for 15 minutes, this was barely enough to provide power to turn power on in car. Certainly not enough to start it. There are a series of things that happens here. First I have car pulled into garage so I cant get truck beside to jump. With no power you cant put the shifter i neutral unless you use your key to disengage the lock on the shifter.

I push car out of garage and get it started by jumping. Alternator is working cause it instantly boosts voltage to 14v. Of course at this point you better have your radio code or it isn't going to work! So a warning here, if you haven't retrieved you're radio code you better do it now and record it because it is not printed in manual or inside the glove box.

I took car out and drove for 30 minutes and when I came back it had enough to restart but probably. Won't in the morning. Battery is probably crap now that it has been drained 100%. I am going to get a new LARGER battery like it should have instead of this lawn mower battery. Don't see how this battery will make a winter.
We keep a battery booster/air compressor combo in the car. It is so big and heavy, I used a cable to secure in in the car. I would not want that heavy thing flying around the interior, during a wreck, but will be glad we have it if our battery ever dies.

Last edited by Vanguard; 09-08-2014 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-08-2014, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by Vanguard
We keep a battery booster/air compressor combo in the car. It is so big and heavy, I used a cable to secure in in the car. I would not want that heavy thing flying around the interior, during a wreck, but will be glad we have it if our battery ever dies.
Personally, I'd rather have a decent-sized battery under the hood. Unfortunately, that is rather difficult.

Old 09-09-2014, 04:31 PM
Took car to dealer today to be checked out, battery measures ok. They are thinking the Ultragauge I have plugged in is probably pulling to much power for that size battery. They said the parasitic draw with Ultragauge connected is 50-110mA and with it disconnected it is 20mAH. Said the issue is it probably wakes up the computer periodically and without knowing what modules it is waking up or when it is hard to measure. They recommended I disconnect it if the car is going to be sitting for any period of time. That is a fair enough suggestion to see what happens. Although 100 mA is only 2.4 amps a day, that aint much, but I will disconnect it and see what happens.

Last edited by tmfit; 09-09-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:18 PM
Unhappy And another...

I've had my new 2015 fix EX for 2.5 weeks and today when I walked into the garage I found it completely dead.

Going through the same "do I really have the right keys?" process that tmfit talked about, I used the physical key in the fob to open the car and found it to have no operating electrical systems.

The reason I'm here is that I found this thread Googling for the problem, but it seems like the only thread about '15 fix battery problems. Either tmfit and I are similarly extremely unlucky (and this really is a rare problem) or the two of us are at the very beginning of something.

In my case the car is 2.5 weeks from the dealer (bought the day after it came on the truck from honda). Has 75 miles on it, and has not been modified in any way (no ultragauge or any other peripherals )

I'm not the best at car electrics, but if I read my multimeter right, I see 4.3V dc across my battery (all connections left in place)

I don't have charger so I'm going to have to go through the manual and see if there is a process for getting out of park so I can roll it out of the garage. These things really are confusing when they don't have power...

I'll update as I learn more (including if I find out it was user-error of some sort).

Last edited by MikeMike; 09-12-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 12:21 AM
Maybe use a battery tender to get enough juice, then drive around the block. Don't let cars sit idle for too long, otherwise the battery will die.

Quick Reply: Battery woes!