3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Battery woes!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 10:08 PM
5 Year Member
We haven't had any problems with the battery in our Fit, but I picked up one of these a few weeks ago when I caught it on sale at Amazon.
Robot Check Robot Check
We've used it a few times to start a lawn tractor and it worked fine. I put it in the back of the Fit just as a precaution, and last week I used it to start a car for a coworker who had left her lights on. It worked great and is much smaller and lighter than the big heavy battery boosters I've used in the past. Definitely worth the money for me. I've since picked up a similar product but different brand (antigravity) to keep in my truck.

Old 10-16-2014, 07:18 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by chazmr
...I picked up one of these a few weeks ago when I caught it on sale at Amazon.
Robot Check
Hi chazmr. If you have a multimeter, I'd be interested in the DC voltage across the battery jumper clamps (not connected to the car battery) on that and your other one. Thanks!

Old 10-18-2014, 04:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitmo
Hi chazmr. If you have a multimeter, I'd be interested in the DC voltage across the battery jumper clamps (not connected to the car battery) on that and your other one. Thanks!
Finally had a chance to check today. Both read over 13.5.
The Antigravity was a little higher than the Powerall, but I had used the Powerall once to jump somebody at work. I'm very pleased so far.

Old 10-18-2014, 04:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by chazmr
Finally had a chance to check today. Both read over 13.5.
The Antigravity was a little higher than the Powerall, but I had used the Powerall once to jump somebody at work. I'm very pleased so far.
Thanks much! I was concerned they'd be much higher, but it appears they've regulated the LI it down.

Old 10-18-2014, 04:44 PM
when charging, it should be stable around 14.3-14.6

it should also be charging slightly higher right after a cold start. It is refreshing the battery after starting.

Old 11-26-2014, 11:42 PM
Here's One More Case

Originally Posted by MikeMike
I've had my new 2015 fix EX for 2.5 weeks and today when I walked into the garage I found it completely dead.

Going through the same "do I really have the right keys?" process that tmfit talked about, I used the physical key in the fob to open the car and found it to have no operating electrical systems.

The reason I'm here is that I found this thread Googling for the problem, but it seems like the only thread about '15 fix battery problems. Either tmfit and I are similarly extremely unlucky (and this really is a rare problem) or the two of us are at the very beginning of something.

In my case the car is 2.5 weeks from the dealer (bought the day after it came on the truck from honda). Has 75 miles on it, and has not been modified in any way (no ultragauge or any other peripherals )

I'm not the best at car electrics, but if I read my multimeter right, I see 4.3V dc across my battery (all connections left in place)

I don't have charger so I'm going to have to go through the manual and see if there is a process for getting out of park so I can roll it out of the garage. These things really are confusing when they don't have power...

I'll update as I learn more (including if I find out it was user-error of some sort).
On Monday, I got up early to bring my car to the dealer for a scheduled appointment to see why I couldn't connect my iPhone to HondaLink on my 2015 Fit EX-L Modern Steel Metallic. To my complete surprise the battery was nearly drained, and couldn't even turn over the engine. All I heard was a series of clicks and the ignition started oscillating on / off. After my wife helped me jump start the car, I was able to drive it to the dealership. After two days, they claimed that everything was perfectly fine.

The only thing I noticed was that the I had left the driver's heated seat switch in the Low position after a morning drive the day before. I thought the switch may have been miswired and continued to draw power even though the ignition was off. But the Honda mechanic tested that and concluded that nothing was wrong.

After reading the previous posts, I'm beginning to suspect that there may in fact be a battery problem lurking in the background.

I'm going to stay on top of this with my dealer.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.....

Old 11-27-2014, 01:54 AM
5 Year Member
Yes. The problem is the puny ass battery honda gave us. 51r FTW!

Old 11-27-2014, 08:04 AM
5 Year Member
If you suspect you have a bad battery, then have it load tested for free at an auto part store.

Also, take a simple multi meter and do a drain test to see what kind of power the vehicle is pulling when everything is off. Be sure to allow the meter to function for a least 15-20 seconds since it can take that long for sleep mode to occur. This is one of the best videos...be sure to watch all of it.

My OEM Fit battery lasted longer than all my other car batteries within the last 10 years, and it was abused in a number of ways. It's not the size thats the problem. Either its the quality of the battery or there is a problem with the car...its not the size of the battery.

Last edited by Spacecoast; 11-27-2014 at 08:19 AM.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:40 AM
I am having battery issues with my 2013 Honda Fit with only 10,000 miles on it. I tend to leave my car for a month, as I travel a lot. The weather has been chilly but not like the dead of winter. Twice my battery would not start and I had to have the long-term parking people jump me. This is a total hassle especially if I come in late at night I used to leave my mom's 99 Chevy all winter and it would start right up. Honda dealer says nothing wrong with it--just small. I love the car and the gas mileage but this is a hassle. I put in one of those battery disconnectors on my Mazda Miata since battery in trunk and hard to get to. I would just turn it and it would disconnect it when I left it (was old so needed to do this). I asked Honda and they said they would not install and would have to do with a private person cuz then it takes if off warranty cuz I did something to it. Anyone used these? This car is not that old.

Old 12-12-2014, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
Goatgirl,
modern vehicles use battery power all the time, even when the car is shut off. The car's computer, clock, anti-theif, etc. That way, when you press the key remote the car will respond (locks, unlocks, alarm/panic). Using the car once a month is not enough to maintain the battery...either it needs to be hooked to a smart charger, or you need to disconnect the battery. As you mentioned, a battery terminal disconnect is probably your best choice. There are "solar" chargers, but I don't know how well they work.

http://www.harborfreight.com/15-watt...ger-68692.html

Last edited by Spacecoast; 12-12-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
The way VW fixed that problem for their new cars parked on their lots was to install a solar charger and place it in a (usually front) window. Those things were removed prior to delivering the car to customers.

They use to be available on ebay. Sometimes if you walk into a VW parts department you could get one for a $10.00 donation to the coffee fund.

They come in several flavors. One plugs into the accessory / cigarette lighter. To use it there the cigarette lighter needs to be hot when the ignition is off. Another flavor plugs into th OBDII port.

solar car battery charger | eBay

Old 12-13-2014, 07:23 PM
Battery Woes

Thanks for the advice. I will get a battery disconnect. Can the alarm be disconnected in the car? I hate all these bells and whistles and don't really need them. I am in a rural area with the Fit and don't need to worry. When my 97 Miata blew a head gasket a few months back in CA I had to get a car quickly. Got a 2014 Chevy Spark for 11, 500 new (what a deal) and what I love is manual locks, no alarm, stick shift--your old basic car.