3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

"No Key" Message on 2016 EX

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
"No Key" Message on 2016 EX

My wife has an issue where her key is inside the car but when she goes to start it, it gives a "no key" warning on the instrument panel. I thought it might be the battery in the keyfob since she has gotten a low battery beep before but I changed it a few months ago. There's no way it's going through battery that fast.

There's surprisingly very little to be found on the internet regarding this issue so I was wondering if this has happened to anyone.

Old 01-24-2019, 10:19 PM
5 Year Member
If you have a cheap multimeter at home, I'd pop the battery out and check voltage anyway. Strange things can happen to new batteries. If the new battery had been sitting on a shelf for awhile before it was installed, it might have had enough juice to power the fob initially, but not for months, and it goes out. If the battery is good and the contacts look clean, you're ruled that out as a source of the problem.

Last edited by bargainguy; 01-24-2019 at 10:21 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
Did you see if it works with the other key fob?

Old 01-24-2019, 10:33 PM
5 Year Member
I'll have her check if the other fob works. As it stands, the battery showed 3 volts on the multimeter so it's not that.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member
Also try putting the bad fob closer to the start button, maybe right on top of it. That might work too but you lose the convenience factor.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
I had a key fob stop working, and, since I was under the 3 year/36K warranty, it was replaced for free. Only later did I realize I sat on it in a wet swimsuit for 20 minutes.

Old 01-29-2019, 01:11 AM
Originally Posted by bach
Also try putting the bad fob closer to the start button, maybe right on top of it. That might work too but you lose the convenience factor.
That is a good method to debug if the key fob battery is not the problem. Ladies may have key fob in a bag sitting in the passenger seat or back seat. That may make it difficult for the car to detect.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:01 AM
5 Year Member
No spam here, but be concern about keyless entry cars...
The vehicles can be stolen using "cheap electronic equipment" purchased online, Which? said. Of the top five most popular cars in the UK -- the Ford Fiesta and Focus, the Volkswagen Golf, the Nissan Qashqai and the Vauxhall Corsa -- only the Corsa cannot be stolen using this technology, because it does not offer a model with keyless entry.

Testing carried out by the German General Automobile Club demonstrated that of 237 keyless car models, 230 could be both unlocked and started using relay technology, while four models could be either unlocked or started.Further makers with vulnerable models included Honda, Audi, Hyundai, BMW, Kia, Skoda, Volvo, Peugeot and Renault.

Yes, it is old fashion. I like my keys to gain entry to start the cars.

Last edited by wasserball; 01-29-2019 at 09:22 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:54 AM
5 Year Member
Yes, I've seen a number of articles on the Internet describing this, with supporting video from security cameras. Once the thieves open the car door all they need is a car with pushbutton start and they just drive away. The manufacturers don't care because if your car is stolen that usually means you'll just buy another one from them. This was one of the reasons I stayed away from keyless entry/pushbutton start high end Fit models when I was buying.

Keyless fob car theft

Old 01-30-2019, 09:30 AM
5 Year Member
With all due respect, this thread is about start malfunction, not theft. Chiming in about how you like your old fashioned key isn't really contributing to a solution. Start another thread to use as your soapbox but leave it out of here. Thanks.

Old 01-30-2019, 12:13 PM
5 Year Member
I apologize for offending you.

Old 02-02-2019, 01:39 AM
I'm suspecting that's been the reason for me, at least. (I too have been getting the warning signal).

Old 02-02-2019, 01:40 AM
With all due respect, this thread is about start malfunction, not theft. Chiming in about how you like your old fashioned key isn't really contributing to a solution. Start another thread to use as your soapbox but leave it out of here. Thanks.
Hear, hear!

Old 02-02-2019, 08:59 AM
5 Year Member
Thank you for keeping this thread on topic. As of today, my wife says this hasn't been a problem lately but I suspect it will pop up again. I will post again should it become an issue.

Old 02-02-2019, 10:49 AM
5 Year Member
There MUST not be any Topic Drift. We must stay on target and topic! They'll be no daydreaming or musing in this class room! Eyes front and hands on the desk! Pass the topic back, and begin when I say GO!

Save your opinions for Show and Tell! I only want facts, and only facts related to the original question asked! This isn't a sandbox or a carnival! This is MY dark ride! It goes, ONLY where I say it goes! Keep your hands within the cart at all times and the safety bar securely latched. Is it safe? Don't make me drill your molar...is it safe?

We will NOT slouch towards Bethlehem! The Falcon WILL hear the Falconer!
If you don't eat your meat....you can't have any pudding! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?
Yes You! Behind the Bike Sheds with your off topic post! Stand still laddy!

Last edited by fitchet; 02-02-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
There MUST not be any Topic Drift. We must stay on target and topic! They'll be no daydreaming or musing in this class room! Eyes front and hands on the desk! Pass the topic back, and begin when I say GO!

Save your opinions for Show and Tell! I only want facts, and only facts related to the original question asked! This isn't a sandbox or a carnival! This is MY dark ride! It goes, ONLY where I say it goes! Keep your hands within the cart at all times and the safety bar securely latched. Is it safe?

We will NOT slouch toward Bethlehem! The Falcon WILL hear the Falconer!
If you don't eat your meat....you can't have any pudding! How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?
Yes You! Behind the Bike Sheds with your off topic post! Stand still laddy!
Do you have something to add?

Old 02-02-2019, 10:58 AM
5 Year Member
For a person with the moniker "Ship of Fools" it seems counter to the belief that things should keep a steady direct course.
Also...
I wish you the best of luck in getting your answer, but it also seems for now, there is no currently manifesting problem. So the real question is do you have anything to add?

Old 02-02-2019, 11:05 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
For a person with the moniker "Ship of Fools" it seems counter to the belief that things should keep a steady direct course.
Also...
I wish you the best of luck in getting your answer, but it also seems for now, there is no currently manifesting problem. So the real question is do you have anything to add?
I did, a couple posts ago. It's an erratic problem that doesn't happen regularly, but rare enough to post here. There's a place for that kind of rambling, it's called Reddit. Let us please stick to the topic at hand. If you must post on this site, there's an off-topic forum.

Old 02-02-2019, 11:13 AM
5 Year Member
Personally I obviously think we could lighten up a bit?
I've started threads where the topic has spiraled into several different avenues. I think the key to peace of mind here? Is realizing we don't have exclusive ownership of thought or opinion, even in a thread we may of started.

We are Crazy on a Ship of Fools...

But OK...if it's REALLY going to bother you....I'll cease and desist.
I do respect that you are looking for a specific answer to your specific problem.

Last edited by fitchet; 02-02-2019 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
I went through a period where I replaced 3 batteries. Same thing was happening. I'm on the 4th one now, probably 6 months without an issue. If it does it again, do what someone said, put it on the button and if it goes away, you need a battery!