3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Smart Key not working?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 12:03 PM
Smart Key not working?

Hi everyone. I could use some help as I'm not sure what the issue is.

I have a 2015 Honda Fit EX-L with Nav. I recently replaced the battery, about two weeks ago. The smart key entry was working fine, and has been until today. The last time I drove my car was Saturday afternoon. I haven't driven it since until I tried to this morning.

When I approached my car I noticed it wasn't unlocking. When I was attempting to open the door, it was not unlocking. I used the hard key to get in. I thought the battery was dead so I grabbed my spare key. That one did not work either. I replaced the battery in the key that I always us, and it is still not working. On the key, whenever I push any of the bottons, the red light flashes as it normally does. The car will not start at all. The power won't turn on, nothing.

I read the owners manual and I had no indication, from what I remember, that the battery was weak. I'm not sure what to do. I tried to follow the owners manual with no luck. Does anyone have any ideas or tips?

Old 05-28-2018, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
Could the problem be with the new battery you put in the car? Could it be defective and have gone dead? It's hard to believe that both of your keys have suddenly failed.

Old 05-28-2018, 12:50 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah measure your battery. it should be at 3V'

(or put it on your tongue and if it burns then its got charge. lol)

Old 05-28-2018, 12:51 PM
5 Year Member
I'd check to make sure the battery clamps are tight. And I'd jump it too to see if it starts.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by woof
Could the problem be with the new battery you put in the car? Could it be defective and have gone dead? It's hard to believe that both of your keys have suddenly failed.
That is what I am beginning to think. I replaced both batteries in the main key and spare. I originally thought it had to be re-programmed, since I have anti-theft, but it didn't make sense since worked perfectly fine when I replaced the car battery.

I had an appointment to change my tires, so they came and jumped my car. It worked when they jumped it. The only thing I have that using a lot more charge is my dash cam. But I don't think it would drain a new battery that easily?

Old 05-28-2018, 07:55 PM
5 Year Member
if the charger is constantly on while the car is off, then it will kill the battery.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cecevaqueraa
That is what I am beginning to think. I replaced both batteries in the main key and spare. I originally thought it had to be re-programmed, since I have anti-theft, but it didn't make sense since worked perfectly fine when I replaced the car battery.

I had an appointment to change my tires, so they came and jumped my car. It worked when they jumped it. The only thing I have that using a lot more charge is my dash cam. But I don't think it would drain a new battery that easily?
What circuit did you hook the dash cam to? If you tied it to the map light circuit, that circuit is “live” even when the car is turned off.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
yah measure your battery. it should be at 3V'

(or put it on your tongue and if it burns then its got charge. lol)
What? 3V? It should be at 12 volts. And that's not even a good way to determine if the battery is good or not.

You'd have to measure the voltage while it's actually got a load on it, i.e. while starting the car, and make sure it's not dropping below 10 volts.

Old 06-03-2018, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lannym
What? 3V? It should be at 12 volts. And that's not even a good way to determine if the battery is good or not.

You'd have to measure the voltage while it's actually got a load on it, i.e. while starting the car, and make sure it's not dropping below 10 volts.
get some coffee before u post

Old 11-17-2020, 05:34 PM
5 Year Member
Hold the smart key up against the start/stop button. If the smart entry system is dead, the car will still start with the key touching the start/stop button. Also, there is a little red LED on the end of the key fob right above the lock button. If the key battery is dead, that won't light up.

My smart key system isn't working either, but I've started the car for a year this way.