3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Fit will not move

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2020, 08:36 AM
Fit will not move

Hello All,

I have a 2016 Honda Fit EX CVT with 104,000 miles and a recently expired extended warranty.

This morning, I went to leave for work and my car would not move. No check engine lights or warnings of any kind. I put it in R and took off the e-brake and the car shunted back a step and stopped. Revving the engine produced RPM response but it still wouldn't go. I put the car in drive and it shunted forward and stopped. Same thing. It wouldn't even move in neutral.

Please someone help me with this.

Old 11-23-2020, 09:21 AM
5 Year Member
No dashboard warning lights + won't move in neutral. Is the parking brake frozen? With the tranny in neutral, you should still be able to move the rear wheels. If those are frozen, you aren't going anywhere.

Old 11-23-2020, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by bargainguy
No dashboard warning lights + won't move in neutral. Is the parking brake frozen? With the tranny in neutral, you should still be able to move the rear wheels. If those are frozen, you aren't going anywhere.
I am able to seemingly engage/disengage the parking brake. It seems to shift into gear, is it possible that it isn't disengaging the parking brake?

Old 11-23-2020, 11:28 AM
5 Year Member
You should be able to move the car by pushing it if the gear is in neutral and the parking brake is disengaged. If you are able to do that then the engage/disengage of the parking brake is not the problem. If the transmission allows forward (D) and backward (R) movement, then one possible problem is the drum/disc pads are lock to the wheel. Brakes are powerful enough to overcome engine/transmission operations.

Old 11-23-2020, 12:34 PM
5 Year Member
Stick the car in neutral, have someone push very gently either forward or backward. If the rear wheels aren't moving, your parking brake cable is likely frozen.

Typically, the parking brake cable is split to the rear drums. When you engage the parking brake, it pulls the cable tight against the drums. If the cable is corroded or covered in ice, it might not disengage, and that's what I think is happening.

If you crawl under the rear wheels, you can trace the parking brake cable by hand and see if it's stuck. If it is, next job is to determine what's causing it to stick, and release it. Ice and corrosion are the major suspects.

Old 11-23-2020, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
Happened to our old Corolla that we handed down to our son...it had served a good long life, suffered at his hands - he learned a few lessons along the way - came to the point to retire it.....it had been a great car, but scrapping it was easier than trying to sell, and since we still held the title, I would have felt guilty selling it to someone, knowing it's history (especially at the hands of our son....LOL....he had gotten carjacked a few years ago, the chase came down this way, the car was recorded at 114 mph when they broke off the chase for safety concerns, apparently that was enough to cook/fry the cat, and the car had a permanent check enginle light......But ANYway, it sat at his apartment for a month or so, when they went to put it on the truck, the rear (parking) brakes were frozen, car wouldn't move, they dragged it with their winch, which broke it free, but.......yeah, parking brakes can seize up due to rust, dunno if it was the cable or the brakes themselves. He has since decided to buy a gently used 2019 Honda Civic Sport ans is into taking care of it, since it's all on his dime It's a pretty dang nice car.....although I still prefer my 6 spd LX Fit

Old 11-23-2020, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
CVT is done. Please post your results. I'm betting a new transmission is the solution.

Old 11-24-2020, 12:11 PM
The issue has been fixed. Thank you all for your suggestions. It turned out that the driver side rear wheel was locked up. Still not sure what caused it to be that way, but with a few hits to the surface of the rim I was able to break it loose. Thanks again.

Old 11-24-2020, 01:30 PM
5 Year Member
Excellent, thanks for letting us know.