3rd Generation (2015+) Say hello to the newest member of the Fit family. 3rd Generation specific talk and questions here.

Key Fob won't remotely unlock doors but works otherwise

Old 01-26-2019, 02:07 AM
Key Fob won't remotely unlock doors but works otherwise

Hello,

I have a weird problem with one of my two Key Fob on my 2016 Honda Fit EX. One key fob works perfectly. The other one can works to start the car and I can unlock the doors when I put my hand on the door handle, but it won't let me lock/unlock the car remotely. The lock, unlock and panic keys do not work. When I press on them, there's a little light above the button on the key fob that flashes twice, which is weird. When I press on the other key fob, that light only flashes once. I recently had a low battery in this key fob, so I went to the store and replaced it. Now both key fobs have the exact same battery and I even swapped them to make sure it wasn't a low battery issue, to no avail.

Does anyone have any idea what the two flashes mean? I spent a bunch of time of Google and on these forums looking for someone with the same issue as mine but couldn't. Most websites talk about a low battery, which wouldn't be the case here, or some contact or physical issue, which is possible but the key works for the most part. Any idea?

Thanks

Old 01-26-2019, 07:51 AM
Sounds like it might need to be reprogrammed to the car. There is a procedure somewhere.

Try this:

https://www.hondapartsonline.net/blo...r-honda-remote

Last edited by GolNat; 01-26-2019 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 08:07 AM
5 Year Member
Well, if it was me?
Even though you swapped the new battery between the two fobs and it doesn't appear to be the battery, I think the first and cheapest approach would be to buy another new battery and just give it a shot. Also if you buy a new battery and put it in, you can take a visual look and see if anything looks wrong. I'd also take the current battery out and let the fob sit for a period of time.

You have nothing to lose but the cost of another new battery, by buying a new battery, Every other potential move, get's pretty expensive.
I'd keep my fingers crossed, and try this first.

Old 01-28-2019, 03:46 AM
If you are still within warranty or not far from expiration, I would take it to the dealer. Show them how one key-fob works fine and the other does not.

Old 02-08-2019, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by blkfit2015 View Post
If you are still within warranty or not far from expiration, I would take it to the dealer. Show them how one key-fob works fine and the other does not.
Thanks for the suggestion, that worked! The keyfob was defective and the dealership replaced it and reprogrammed it at no charge. They also mentioned that those push-to-start keyfobs cannot be reprogrammed by customer. They use special computers for that. Also the warranty was a bit of a gamble because they quote a $150 diagnostics fee that has to be paid if the issue isn't covered by the warranty and they can't tell you if it's covered until they diagnose the issue. Anyway, it worked out in the end!

Old 02-11-2019, 04:22 PM
Originally Posted by GolNat View Post
Sounds like it might need to be reprogrammed to the car. There is a procedure somewhere.

Try this:

https://www.hondapartsonline.net/blo...r-honda-remote
Only the dealer can program the 3rd generation Fit key fob, but once it is programmed, it cannot be changed. We have an extra one from a different Fit, but we can't do anything with it. A new one will cost about $350, according to several dealers. I find that hard to believe, but every time I'm at a different Honda dealer, I ask. "About $350" is the answer.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:23 PM
Originally Posted by JohnRaphael View Post
Thanks for the suggestion, that worked! The keyfob was defective and the dealership replaced it and reprogrammed it at no charge. They also mentioned that those push-to-start keyfobs cannot be reprogrammed by customer. They use special computers for that. Also the warranty was a bit of a gamble because they quote a $150 diagnostics fee that has to be paid if the issue isn't covered by the warranty and they can't tell you if it's covered until they diagnose the issue. Anyway, it worked out in the end!
Excellent! "Special computers"