3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Check Charge System..

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 01:14 PM
Check Charge System..

Story of my life here....
Monday I buy a FIT EX 6MT Modern Steel. Love the car feels amazing when driving it.

But on tue the car would not start twice on me Once when leaving for work, and once when going home from work. Then that tue I take it in and they check the alternator and battery and say all of it tested fine no issue.
Well they told me they let the battery charge and should be an issue again.

So far it was I hadn't had to jump it to get the car going since then.
But Just now when I'm going out for some lunch during the drive Check Charge System comes on.. I call the general manger and tell him what happen because on Tue he gave me his cell and told me to report problems to him if anything happens. Surprisingly after lunch the car started fine (thankfully) and no check sign came up... So I'm not sure what to expect.. Hoping the ODBII can tell the service people something.

Well I call him and now I'm brining it in again. This is crazy two time now. and every time I go in there I feel like my car is being devalued.. This is a new car. My first new car I ever bought and not having a good experience.

Here hoping for the best....
Lemon law for FL states I can claim it a lemon if I go in for service for the same issue three times..

Great also a couple paint chips..

Last edited by Darkshowdo; 10-03-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:41 PM
I don't think they will get much out of the odb II but there might be embedded codes that can help.
You should probably get something like this to monitor the voltage fluctuations. Keeping a log would help the tech a lot.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000EVWDU0?cache=fa7d21aec97a41b3fc11b82842a52f8b& pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&qid=1412361501&sr=8-12#

It's got to be a loose connection somewhere that is related to the alternator.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:01 PM
Was this ever resolved for you? I have a similar issue. Works great for long stretches then randomly wont start back up and displays the check charge system warning. After a while, about 20 minutes to 2 hours, it starts just fine. Had it in and they replaced a component that was failing but it just started happening again after that. Started happening during a road trip, jumping didn't help it, etc.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kerv2150
Was this ever resolved for you? I have a similar issue. Works great for long stretches then randomly wont start back up and displays the check charge system warning. After a while, about 20 minutes to 2 hours, it starts just fine. Had it in and they replaced a component that was failing but it just started happening again after that. Started happening during a road trip, jumping didn't help it, etc.
Most likely they replaced a perfectly fine component.

Intemittant electrical problems are notoriously difficutl to find. OBD2 keeps a record of past problems so perhaps it might be able to help.

Old school tests without fancy tools: I would check the battery terminals, even take them off and put them back on again, making sure there is no corrosion, and using a film of grease on the posts and inside the terminals, to prevent corrosion. I'd also check the cable to the alternator, from the battery, at both ends. And for the ground cable to the battery, I'd check to make sure it has a good connection to the car's body. Then I'd get out a simple voltmeter, and test battery voltage. Should be about 11.5 to 12. Leaving the voltmeter attached, start the car. While the starter is turning the volt should not go down below about 10 volts. If it does, the battery is weak. Why? Maybe it isn't holding a charge, maybe it isn't being charged. Once the car is running, check the voltage. It should be a little bit above 14 volts. If if is anything less than about 13.5, then the alternator-regulator is not charging the battery. If it is more than 15, it is too high, and damaging the battery, shortening battery life. Last, I would check for current leaks. Put an ammeter in series with positive or negaitve cable and see how much current the car is drawing when both ignition is off, and accessories are off. Not sure what the spec is, but it should be pretty low. If it is high, you've got a leak or a short (basically a really big leak, and unlikely) somewhere. You could also have an alternator-regulator that. functions intermittently. You could test the battery under load. Turn the headlights on. The voltage should drop from about 11.5 or 12 to about 11, and then slowly get less and less, But don't leave them on too long! It's not necessary. With the headlights on, start the car. If the voltage drops below 9 volts, the battery is kind of weak. Could be a problem with charging or a problem with the battery. Disconnect the battery at both terminals and charge it from an external charger. You'll be able to see if it isn't holding a charge: If it isn't holding a charge, leaving the headlights on will lower its voltage pretty fast, and it may not have enough power to start the car.. If it is holding a charge, you could leave the headlights on for awhile, and then still be able to start the car.

Last edited by nomenclator; 09-11-2018 at 01:38 PM.