3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Maintenance Minder Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 12:55 AM
Maintenance Minder Question

My oil life was at 30% 5,960miles...I decided to change my oil before the recommended percentage change mark came up which is 15%. I changed it because I have a long drive next weekend. My question is...Since I reset the oil percentage back to 100% will the code for rotating tires not come up now? Which is sub-code (1) I believe? Or maybe you'll can tell me which sub-code popped up for your maintenance minder the very first time on your new fit? Was it A1? Did I mess up by resetting it before the codes popped up for me? Should I rotate my tires now because the tire rotation code will not come up now since I reset the the oil percentage(if that's case)? My hope is that the maintenance minder is smart enough to know that I just changed my oil and didn't rotate my tires and the "1" will magically pop up? I may have saw "A1" flash when I was resetting it 30%....Any input will be appreciated. Thank you

Old 04-12-2015, 01:29 PM
I don't have an answer, but am also curious about this.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
When you reset the MM you were telling it that you did the scheduled maintenance it called for. So the next time you get a MM code in 6000 to 10,000 miles it will be for the second oil change and the then scheduled maintenance, not the first one that you already competed.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:36 PM
Originally Posted by n9cv
When you reset the MM you were telling it that you did the scheduled maintenance it called for. So the next time you get a MM code in 6000 to 10,000 miles it will be for the second oil change and the then scheduled maintenance, not the first one that you already competed.
My problem is that the maintenance wrench didn't pop up yet. I just went ahead and did a oil change and reset the oil percentage. So I guess what i'm really asking is what codes did everyone get who waited for the maintenance minder to pop up for the very first time? I'm assuming it was A(oil change) and sub-code 1 (tire rotation) ? Because from what I read th+e new MM will bring your tire rotation code in if your oil change comes first..for example 15% comes at 6,000 miles but the tire rotation code normally pops up at 7500 but the MM will put the oil change + tire rotation codes together since they are so close together. So im just wondering if I just reset the tire rotation sub-code (1) when I reset it at 30% for just an oil change.

Old 04-13-2015, 07:56 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jlbryan027
So im just wondering if I just reset the tire rotation sub-code (1) when I reset it at 30% for just an oil change.
Yes you DID reset the tire rotation code.

Same thing happens for less-used cars that are on the Honda-recommended "yearly oil change". Once you rest the MM, it thinks you did EVERYTHING.

That is why, as time (and mileage) have gone on, I've reverted back to pencil-and-paper records for non-oil change maintenance.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by Carbuff2
Yes you DID reset the tire rotation code.

Same thing happens for less-used cars that are on the Honda-recommended "yearly oil change". Once you rest the MM, it thinks you did EVERYTHING.

That is why, as time (and mileage) have gone on, I've reverted back to pencil-and-paper records for non-oil change maintenance.
Thank you for the reply. That sounds like a good idea. Do you know anywhere I can see a list of the recommended mileage for tire rotations/air filter/cabin filter/etc. ?

Old 04-13-2015, 10:48 AM
5 Year Member
Thank you for the reply. That sounds like a good idea. Do you know anywhere I can see a list of the recommended mileage for tire rotations/air filter/cabin filter/etc. ?
When you reset the MM, it displays the codes you are resetting, so you can see what item should be done.

Old 04-13-2015, 08:33 PM
5 Year Member
Do you know anywhere I can see a list of the recommended mileage for tire rotations/air filter/cabin filter/etc. ?
Our Fit, purchased new, came with a Service History book that listed the things to check or replace. When a service was performed you could check it off or note N/A (Not Applicable).

Or, you could use the Honda Owner Link. Sign in with your VIN here:

Honda Owners Site | Tips, Tools & Benefits for Honda Owners

There is a maintenance schedule there (tied to MM codes) and a place to record your service and check for active recalls.

Any question post here again, we have 120K of maintenance records on our '07 MT (with actual service/mileage dates of things like Cabin and Engine filters that are to be checked and only replaced if necessary).

Old 06-26-2015, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member

Or, you could use the Honda Owner Link. Sign in with your VIN here:

Honda Owners Site | Tips, Tools & Benefits for Honda Owners

There is a maintenance schedule there (tied to MM codes) and a place to record your service and check for active recalls.
I logged in with our owner information, but can't get the maintenance schedule to show. Wonder if the system is down, because you can select 2015 Fit and it still doesn't show.

Old 06-30-2015, 07:11 AM
5 Year Member
I just tried the Honda Owner Link and I got my Owner's Manual in PDF. (On the page for Manuals and Warranties) It lists the MM codes there.

On the same page is a link for Service & Maintenance. This has a drop down menu for the various MM codes. Each one has a mileage recommendation for those cars that see low annual mileage.

Here's an example:

5 Speed Manual 5DR Sport - Recommended service:
  • Replace transmission fluid
    Driving in mountainous areas at very low vehicle speeds results in higher transmission temperatures. This requires transmission fluid changes more frequently than recommended by the maintenance minder. If you regularly drive your vehicle under these conditions, have the transmission fluid changed at 60,000 miles (100,000 km), then every 30,000 miles (48,000 km)*2.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:05 AM
5 Year Member
I just tried the Honda Owner Link and I got my Owner's Manual in PDF. (On the page for Manuals and Warranties) It lists the MM codes there.

On the same page is a link for Service & Maintenance. This has a drop down menu for the various MM codes. Each one has a mileage recommendation for those cars that see low annual mileage.
Looks like it works for earlier, like 2007, Honda Fit, but no info for 2015 Fit.

Old 06-30-2015, 08:11 AM
5 Year Member
No maintenance info on later Honda's.

Originally Posted by John Kuhn
Looks like it works for earlier, like 2007, Honda Fit, but no info for 2015 Fit.
Out of curiousity, I plugged in Accord sedan, thinking that is the most popular, and no maintenance info for later than 2011. So I think they have stopped supporting this information. Probably no factory shop manual for later stuff either.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:01 AM
5 Year Member
Sorry to hear that, but aside from CVT fluid replacement intervals, I'd think that an older model's schedules would apply.

EG, inspect /replace cabin and engine filters every year or 30K miles; coolant every 110K /5 years then every 3 years after; plugs and valve clearance check at 110K miles.

Perhaps a call to Honda Customer Service will provide a way to get that info. If you find anything, post back...these Topics come up on a regular basis.

PS, you can download lots of service info with a $10 USA short-term subscription to Helm (factory service info).

Helm Incorporated: Choose Product Category

But for specs only, it doesn't seem right, does it?

Old 06-30-2015, 10:59 AM
5 Year Member
I called American Honda, and the person I spoke with didn't know why they hadn't updated the website for the later models. For the maintenance stuff on the 2015 Fit, she referred me to page 359 of the owner's manual, which spells out the different things to do for each code, but doesn't call out the mileage readings.

Old 06-30-2015, 12:16 PM
5 Year Member
No manuals, period!

More not good news: Talked to somebody at Helm, since their website doesn't show any later model shop manuals, and they said they didn't know, they just go with what Honda offers. So then I called the dealer, who referred me to the parts department, and he said the dealer mechanics get everything online from Honda, there are no more downloadable manuals. That stinks! It means the best we can do is the partial manuals like from Chilton, maybe...