3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Moonroof Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 07:58 PM
Moonroof Trouble

Hi All - Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm a proud owner of a 2015 Fit EX-L, bought in July of 2014. It's a great car, I love almost everything about it.

My problem: the moonroof. Three weeks ago the one-touch button started intermittently not responding. At first I didn't think much of it, assuming I hadn't pressed it all the way or something like that.

But then, two weeks ago, the moonroof got stuck in tilt mode. When I pressed forward to close it, it made a noise that sounded a bit like a something grinding (not good), sort of half-closed, and then opened into a tilt again. I tried a few more times (closing, opening all the way) and it didn't do anything.

Later that day, after turning the car off and back on again, I tried it again and it closed. But it closed in a funny way, with its back end sunk in a quarter of inch or so.

It was then that I called the dealer for a repair.

They confirmed that it was stuck, fixed it, but didn't find anything mechanically wrong. They said that the computer that controls the moonroof had become "confused" and that they tech had simply reprogrammed it (the invoice said "Relearn").

"Is this going to happen again?" I asked.

"No we've never seen it before and it should be good from here on."

I really wanted to believe him. I finally pulled the trigger on a Fit because Honda started offering moonroof and leather interiors. And even though this repair was under warranty, I asked specifically if "reprogramming the moonroof computer" was something that I would have to pay for after my 3-year warranty is up, and he said that I would.

Well, just my luck because today my moonroof got stuck again, in just the same way!

So my questions are:

1) Has anyone else experienced this or other problems with their moonroof, that required a "reprogramming" to repair?

2) How many times do you think they'll have to "reprogram" my moonroof before they replace it, or the computer that controls it, all together?

3) Do you think that they'll ever replace the moonroof or the computer while the car is under the 3-year warranty?

4) Finally, is it worth buying an extended warranty just to cover what looks to me now to be a lifetime of moonroof repairs?

Thanks for any thoughts/advice/sympathy anyone can give me!

Aaron

Old 04-23-2015, 09:56 PM
yes i have experienced the same thing after owning my fit for 2 weeks. waiting for the replacement motor to show up still, it is covered under my warranty so i am assuming i pay nothing out of pocket.

Old 04-23-2015, 11:07 PM
Be grateful you have never owned an Audi.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:23 PM
Sorry to hear of your moonroof trouble, bluntedfit, but thanks for the info. If no one else chimes in, I'll assume this is a rare problem, which would make me feel better about the possibility of its re-occuring when it eventually gets sorted.

A few follow-up questions, if you don't mind:
- Did they try to reprogram yours, or just go straight to replacing the motor?
- You say you've been waiting on the new motor. How long has the wait been? Did they say what the hold-up is?

Thanks again for the info. I'll keep you updated.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:28 PM
Fit_as_a_butchers_dog - Haha! My first car was an Audi actually. And it's the reason I had a AAA membership at 18; it broke down 4 times in 8 months before I got rid of it...

Old 04-28-2015, 08:34 PM
Quick update: I took the car in and the dealer has determined that it is the motor. They are ordering a replacement, which they estimate will come in later this week. They're replacing the gasket, too. We'll see how it goes... [fingers crossed!]

Old 05-22-2015, 04:57 PM
More to report on this:

So the motor came in about a week's time, it was replaced under warranty, and all seemed well ... for about a week. Then my wife noticed that the passenger side sun visor was loose. We figured that perhaps the tech didn't re-install it properly after fixing the moon roof, but were going to wait until the next oil change to have that fixed.

Soon thereafter we noticed a rattle coming from drivers side somewhere, but couldn't tell where it was coming from. I just turned up the music and tried to ignore it.

Then yesterday, the driver's side sun visor completely fell off as I tried to adjust it. Apparently, the tech didn't know how to re-install the visors.

So, the saga continues...

Old 07-05-2020, 01:19 PM
2015 Honda Fit EX Moonroof Fixed

My sunroof freaked out yesterday when a small piece of clothing got stuck in it, and would not close fully or open at all. Fiddling around with it today, I found this forum with instructions for a Honda Accord that worked perfectly on my Fit EX. So as to not take any credit for something I did not figure out, here is the link to the page, and a screenshot of the instructions.

https://www.driveaccord.net/threads/...cedure.337946/

Old 01-28-2023, 03:44 PM
Hi -- running into what may be the same problem. Searched the forum and the threads, but nothing exact. Would welcome any thoughts and input -- here's the details ...

2015 Honda Fit EX
Moonroof was in "TILT OPEN" position and when it closed there was a grinding mechanical noise (not good) but it closed. I've done the various reset procedures that I've found online (methods 1 - 4) multiple times.

As of now, there is no grinding, but here is what it does:
* When closed, and I want to open it (slide it into the roof), the auto-open and "hold the button to open" both stop a little more than half way opened. No grinding.
* When open (half way in roof), and I press "auto-close" (full press forward), it closes and then automatically continues to open up into the TILT position.
* When TILT open, and I press the "auto close", it goes to the "closed position" like normal, but then I can sense a slight pause, and then it drop a little bit more but with a little more force, and then continues to slide open (and then stops half way).
* I can position the moonroof by using the "press gently" forward and back to manually control open and close, but the "auto" full press seems to be what is haywire.

What have I done?
* The various moonroof control unit reset procedures referred to as method 1 - 4.
* I have used a flexible but hard plastic wire to ensure the drain tubes were clear. Also did the poor water test to ensure water comes out the front wheel well.
* I have visually inspected the tracks that I can see and there is no debris in it.
* I have visually confirmed plenty of lubrication on the flap that goes down, and that there is nothing obstructing it.

Question - regarding the "method 4" with the steps 1 - 5 to reset the moonroof control unit, one thread says to complete each step within 5 seconds of each other, but then another thread says to complete the "on and off with tilt button press/release" 3 or 4 times all within the 5 seconds. Just trying to ensure I'm doing the reset procedure correctly.

Since there's no "grinding" and the motor works fine, it's not the fuse. It feels like it's a sensor sort of thing, but is that something that I can replace or is it "one and the same" as the motor?

Old 02-16-2023, 01:26 PM
Originally Posted by gregwaehner;[url=tel:1474303
1474303[/url]]Hi -- running into what may be the same problem. Searched the forum and the threads, but nothing exact. Would welcome any thoughts and input -- here's the details ...

2015 Honda Fit EX
Moonroof was in "TILT OPEN" position and when it closed there was a grinding mechanical noise (not good) but it closed. I've done the various reset procedures that I've found online (methods 1 - 4) multiple times.

As of now, there is no grinding, but here is what it does:
* When closed, and I want to open it (slide it into the roof), the auto-open and "hold the button to open" both stop a little more than half way opened. No grinding.
* When open (half way in roof), and I press "auto-close" (full press forward), it closes and then automatically continues to open up into the TILT position.
* When TILT open, and I press the "auto close", it goes to the "closed position" like normal, but then I can sense a slight pause, and then it drop a little bit more but with a little more force, and then continues to slide open (and then stops half way).
* I can position the moonroof by using the "press gently" forward and back to manually control open and close, but the "auto" full press seems to be what is haywire.

What have I done?
* The various moonroof control unit reset procedures referred to as method 1 - 4.
* I have used a flexible but hard plastic wire to ensure the drain tubes were clear. Also did the poor water test to ensure water comes out the front wheel well.
* I have visually inspected the tracks that I can see and there is no debris in it.
* I have visually confirmed plenty of lubrication on the flap that goes down, and that there is nothing obstructing it.

Question - regarding the "method 4" with the steps 1 - 5 to reset the moonroof control unit, one thread says to complete each step within 5 seconds of each other, but then another thread says to complete the "on and off with tilt button press/release" 3 or 4 times all within the 5 seconds. Just trying to ensure I'm doing the reset procedure correctly.

Since there's no "grinding" and the motor works fine, it's not the fuse. It feels like it's a sensor sort of thing, but is that something that I can replace or is it "one and the same" as the motor?
It’s so crazy that the same thing literally just happened to me last night, I’m the only owner of my ‘15 fit and I have never had the moonroof failed on me before. Did you ever find the solution to your problem?