3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Dash warning lights keep coming on

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 11:37 AM
5 Year Member
Dash warning lights keep coming on

Got a 2015 M/T with 7k miles on it. About a month ago, I started it up and these dash lights came on, with the tire pressure light blinking:

Name:  GdGbNMB.jpg
Views: 1029
Size:  73.9 KB

After checking all tire pressures and making sure I wasn't out of oil or missing a belt, I kept driving and nothing seemed wrong with it. Took it to the dealer and the only code was Cylinder 3 Misfire, which they blamed on bad gas. They cleared it and sent me on my way.

Yesterday, after filling up from a different gas station, it happened again. I bought my own OBD2 reader and saw the same code about Cylinder 3 misfire. The car is back at the dealer now, has anyone had this happen?

Old 05-04-2015, 03:36 PM
"Bad gas" is a dealer excuse to get you back out the door and perhaps to another dealer for the ultimate repair. They don't like warranty work as they get paid less for that.

If it were truly bad gas you'd be getting a misfire on multiple cylinders. Since the cylinder 3 misfire recurs it is a matter of looking at things that are unique to cylinder 3, which narrows it to the spark plug, coil, and injector.

Dirty gas would clog the filter, not affect a single downstream injector. Water or other liquid impurities would affect multiple cylinders.

It is likely that the dealer will do the cheapest and easiest thing, replace the spark plug. If the problem recurs they will replace the coil, and if it recurs again the injector.

If I were diagnosing the problem I would replace the plug and swap the coil to another cylinder. If the problem didn't recur it was the plug, if it recurred on the cylinder that got the coil the coil is the problem and if it recurred on the same cylinder it is likely the injector.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
GeorgeL, thanks for that quality info. The dealer called me and said they are working with Honda to get to the cause, and the next step is to do a valve adjustment when its stone cold so they need to keep the car overnight I did talk the service advisor down the path of 'so what was the error code last time? and what was it this time? why not try swapping coilpacks to see if the code follows?' He claimed the coilpack was replaced last time and I laughed a little bit before informing him that no, his techs did nothing last time. Sigh.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:43 PM
5 Year Member
Day 2 update:

The car sat overnight to get stone cold for a valve adjustment as per Honda techline. After that was done they had to warm it up and then return it to stone cold by running fans on it, then more testing. Service advisor was unabel to tell me what these tests were or why they could be related to the codes being generated. He said the car was running great and then it produced the same code a minute later. Side note, he was also unable to tell me if the valves were out of adjustment Tech is on the phone with Honda engineers and he should get back to me with another update, but I don't have a lot of confidence due to his lack of knowledge and his inability to get answers to my questions.

Not happy with this dealer at the moment

Old 05-05-2015, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member
Check your break fluid level...

Originally Posted by cwapface
Got a 2015 M/T with 7k miles on it. About a month ago, I started it up and these dash lights came on, with the tire pressure light blinking:

After checking all tire pressures and making sure I wasn't out of oil or missing a belt, I kept driving and nothing seemed wrong with it. Took it to the dealer and the only code was Cylinder 3 Misfire, which they blamed on bad gas. They cleared it and sent me on my way.

Yesterday, after filling up from a different gas station, it happened again. I bought my own OBD2 reader and saw the same code about Cylinder 3 misfire. The car is back at the dealer now, has anyone had this happen?
I had the same dash lights lighting up - it turned to be a defective right rear brake cylinder. It was fixed under warranty at the dealer.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:30 PM
Why should a misfire produce a TPMS, steering failure, and traction control light?

With that bizarre combination of lights I'd suspect that something in the ECU is screwed up.

That valve adjustment and heat cycling sounds like BS. Perhaps they are padding the bill they will present to Honda. Their deceptiveness and dishonesty toward you only adds to my suspicion. Perhaps you should contact Honda Customer Service directly.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
Update: Dealer said that the next step is to overnight 4 new fuel injectors to see if that fixes it. That means I won't have the car back until thursday at the earliest. I still haven't got answers to any of my questions from the service writer which is the most frustrating part. I asked about coilpacks and spark plugs again and was told they all tested fine so they ruled them out. I also asked about swapping fuel injectors around instead of replacing all of them and was told that's what Honda instructed

If the fuel injectors don't fix it, I'm told the next step is to replace the entire cylinder head

Old 05-06-2015, 05:02 PM
This is why I get a sharpie and mark all the parts involved before letting a dealer work on the car over a warranty issue. Just a dot on each part is sufficient. What the service people say they did and what they actually did are often two different things and lying isn't limited to the sales floor.

One time I took my car to a large dealer to get the fuel filler pipe replace on a TSB. They kept the car for a day. When I picked it up I peeked under the fender and saw a nice shiny new-looking filler pipe. Only problem is that it still had the Sharpie mark that I had put on it before bringing it in! They had just grabbed a wet rag and wiped the filler pipe clean of grime and were expecting me to think it was the replacement part!

When I went back to the service writer and told him that the part hadn't been replaced he tried to convince me that I didn't know what I was talking about. It was only when I told him that I would call the corporate customer service rep and have them inspect the car that the service writer went into a huddle with the service manager and finally conceded that they had "made a mistake" and that I'd have to bring the car back the next day so they could really replace the part.

Old 05-08-2015, 10:25 AM
5 Year Member
4 new fuel injectors did not fix the problem, so they are conferring with Honda engineers about next steps and possible head replacement. I'll be at 10 days of repairs next week, 20 more to go for lemon law

Old 05-11-2015, 10:23 PM
Omg. Thank you for posting this. I've had my car for 6 months now, 16k miles without any problems. This morning I got those same 4 lights show up when I started the car up. I thought I would drive the car to the dealership but car would not go over 10 mph. Luckily, got back in my driveway. Called Honda Roadside and they took it to the dealer. Dealer told me they did a software update and it was fixed. I picked it up and a few miles down the road on I-285 here in Atlanta, the lights came back on and power was killed to 10 mph. I almost had a heart attack but managed to get over to emergency lane. An hour and a half waiting on interstate on a shaking bridge, the second tow truck of the day showed up to take back to dealership.

Weird that it is killing my ability to drive it but not you. Good grief. Love that little car but I am going to be on edge with it from now on.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:24 PM
By the way, why is this tread being moved to maintenance you can do yourself? No way with this one.

Old 05-13-2015, 04:47 AM
I'm at 18k miles. Exact same thing is happening to me. All the lights just lit up as I was pulling out of my driveway. It's going into the shop when everyone wakes up this AM.

Old 05-13-2015, 08:50 AM
I'm sorry you are having this problem too! I see you are in Georgia, are you in Atlanta? Is your car driveable? I have a CVT and the power gets knocked out when the lights come on. Very dangerous. My dealer is going to be putting on a new throttle body today if the parts come in. Then if it seems to fix the problem, the manager is going to drive it home tonight. If it makes it to his home and back without issue then he will feel comfortable giving it back to me.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:53 AM
I drive to Sandy Springs daily, but I live further north. Dealer says the code is "Cylinder 3 misfire". He's going to consult with Honda engineers as well. Says he'll have to keep it overnight, and at least some of tomorrow.

Cwapface, did your issue ever get resolved?

@laura Your issue doesn't sound like a throttle body issue to me, almost like it's a plugged exhaust, which USUALLY only happens if your gas runs rich and gets into your muffler/catalytic converter and blocks the exhaust from escaping. With your shaky bridge/285 comment, sounds like you got caught on the northern perimeter on that bridge that crosses the chattahoochee. That's a scary spot, especially if it's rush hour.

I'd also like to point out that my car started idling slightly rougher than normal about a month ago. Noticeable in the morning, but once the car warmed up it mostly went away. If I was stopped at a red light, and the engine was warm, it would hiccup occasionally, but nothing serious.

I'm guessing this is a symptom of our cylinder issues.

Last edited by stellgod; 05-13-2015 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:05 AM
They're blaming it on my brand of gasoline. I'm sorry, but what?!

Old 05-13-2015, 03:47 PM
5 Year Member
You all are having the same issue. None of you have a solution. This is a huge Honda conspiracy. There is something drastically wrong with your vehicle. Honda does not want to take the blame for it and release a huge recall on their brand new Fit. Until someone is seriously injured due to the power loss on a highway will only be when a recall is issued.

This is all coming from a legal professional standpoint. No I do not own a GK. I would suggest you all get on the phone with the corporate customer service reps or something outside of your dealer. All the dealers seem to be treating you all the same way and are screwing you around. To lose your vehicle for so many days is wrong!

Old 05-13-2015, 06:28 PM
5 Year Member
No resolution for me yet, and I don't know if I should feel better that others are feeling my pain

On Monday the Honda engineers said they needed to do a few more tests before they would have a meeting and decide what to do next. It took them all day to do a compression test because they didn't have a spark plug adapter that was the right size - neither did any other shops or tool trucks in the area. They found one in a box at the nearby Honda training center, and to no one's surprise the compression was fine.

They tried adjusting the valves again and the code was still being generated. They said they observed some sort of sludge on the valves in cylinder 3 but weren't sure what it was, so they put dye in the oil and ran it to see if it accumulated on the valves. It did not, so they are now waiting on a new head to go on later this week.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by lauraAtlanta
By the way, why is this tread being moved to maintenance you can do yourself? No way with this one.
I second this question, why is this in DIY?

Old 05-13-2015, 08:11 PM
Curry Honda received the throttle body part today and if it seemed to do the trick then the manager was going to drive it home tonight. I didn't hear an update to see if seemed to be doing the trick. My service adviser is turning out to be quite the advocate. They now have 3 2015 Fits in the shop with similar issues. He says they seem to have slightly different problems. They are working on the fuel system of one. He isn't letting any of them leave until they feel they have the problems under control. One of the 3 came in today and the protocol he says is a software update. A technician did a software update on it and got the all clear and my adviser told him no, they weren't letting it go. Technician wasn't happy with him apparently. He said all 3 there are CVT's, which may or may not mean anything.

Funny, I had a message to call the equity adviser. I thought they may have totaled it doing a test drive! I called back and left message but he never called back. Thinking he may have been doing the sales call thing to make me an offer to trade up. Service dept probably told him "NO, don't make her an offer! She might take it..."

@Stellgod, no, thank goodness I wasn't on that bridge! I was on a small overpass near Northlake and that was bad enough.

Old 05-13-2015, 09:19 PM
@cwapface It looks like you're fast approaching the lemon law criteria. 3 service attempts or 30 days. That's probably why they don't want to release it to you either @lauraAtlanta. It looks like there's 3 of us having the same problem, and 1 more thread started that's very similar. So 4 in total. That's just on this website. I'm guessing this is going to be a huge issue very soon, and we're at the leading edge of this storm.

Honestly, blaming the gas? At what point did anyone receive a list of which gas station to use?

Quick Reply: Dash warning lights keep coming on