3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Warning lights...all of them.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 12:16 PM
Warning lights...all of them.

Interesting thing happened a couple weeks ago. Went to start the car when I got off work, and got the TPMS, Check Engine, stability control, and steering assit warning lights all at the same time. I pretty much freaked, but had to go home since the dealership was closed for the day. Car acted just fine on the way home. Idles normally. Nothing out of the ordinary except the lights. one tire was a couple pounds low.

Decided to see if I could clear the code. Unplugged the pos battery cable for a minute. Except for having to reset the clock and setup my bluetooth pairings again...everything was great. Until today...when all the lights came on this morning. Same deal. Car acts just fine.

I really don't have the time to deal with leaving my only transportation at the dealer for them to "figure it out".

Ideas?

This is base model w/6spd

Old 06-12-2015, 12:54 PM
Honestly, something like this I would just give in to the dealer and hope for a rental. No need to void any warranty if something is really wrong.

Old 06-13-2015, 07:59 AM
I had an issue with my Hyundai Accent years ago. The check engine light kept coming on. My Brother-in-Law came over, hooked up his computer to the car. We replaced the O2 sensor and the light went off.

Two weeks later it came on again

Disconnected/reconnected the battery, the light didn't come back on

Two weeks later it came on again

I took it to the dealership and they hooked it up and told me it needed a new O2 sensor. I told them - that was just replaced.

After much investigation it was determined that relay that controlled the check engine light was bad, and was causing the light to come on, even though nothing was wrong.

You might have something similar going on, I would take it in.

Good luck!

Old 06-13-2015, 09:11 AM
5 Year Member
Bring it to the dealership. And if you can't do that right away you might want to either get one of those OBD Bluetooth sensors and pair it your phone + OBD app to determine the problem according to the Fit's computer. Or save the $10-20 (cost of the OBD device) and just stop at an auto parts store and ask them to check the codes. Most of them do it for free. So you can find out how bad it might be before you have a chance to get to the dealer.

Regardless...I'd recommend everyone get one of those OBD devices. Their handy things for just a few bucks. With the right app you can even reset the computer without needing to disconnect the battery (which doesn't always work to clear the codes without significant wait).

Old 06-13-2015, 12:08 PM
5 Year Member
OBD code reader

Got one off eBay a while back, very useful, esp if you're trying to chase a problem. Get Torque Pro from Google Play market, couple of bucks. I have an '09 Fit, just reach beneath the steering column to the right, forward of the driver's cupholder, plug in the adapter. The ECU displays quite a bit of data thru the app, but won't show 02 sensor data (weird). But everything else it can read is very valuable. If it finds any fault codes, it reads them out loud for you in plain english. Pretty cool.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:25 AM
Took it to the dealer yesterday. Miss on #3. They replaced the coil, and plug. When I left he was going to check the valve lash. If it isn't the valve...its probably the injector. And of course with direct injection...you have to replace them as a set.

I'm sure they are looking for a way to weasel out of doing this as warranty knowing my luck.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:17 AM
5 Year Member
Same problem, mine was caused my wires being chewed on by rodents.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:22 AM
Intake valve on #3 is leaking oil bad. Bad head casting. CAn't get a new one until September.

"Hencho en Mexico"

Old 06-17-2015, 02:02 PM
Found another thread where more people have this problem. Wondering at this point...what should I do?

Old 06-18-2015, 09:21 AM
They have me in a rental car. Terrible mileage compared to my fit.

Talked to the service adviser yesterday. He claims to have never hear about anyone having this problem. I'm hoping to get some real failure information out of his as this goes on. Really not keen on the idea of replacing a defective part with another defective part...that might just barely last long enough to run out my warranty.

Has anyone heard anything about this? Is it just a bad batch, or did they screw up the design for the new head?

Old 06-23-2015, 09:28 AM
They still have my car. I'm now under the impression that the service adviser is lying to me. He gets all shifty when I ask about what he thinks the problem is.

I wonder if calling Honda is a good idea?

Old 07-09-2015, 09:35 AM
Did you ever get fixed?

Old 07-09-2015, 09:48 AM
They still have my car, and I have not heard a peep out of them. Getting pretty pissed. At this point I am certain he was lying to me. There is no way that there is such a long lead time on a part they supposedly got authorization to pull from the assembly line.

Really worries me that there might be a design flaw from the head redesign...and they are trying to crank out a revised part...on the sly. Probably to avoid a recall.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:06 PM
Your fast approaching the lemon law my friend. I'd check your local laws to make sure, but it sounds like a fat check is in your future.

Old 07-09-2015, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by stellgod
Your fast approaching the lemon law my friend. I'd check your local laws to make sure, but it sounds like a fat check is in your future.
30 days within the first year. I'd take a 5,000mile hit to the worth of the vehicle.

Thing is...I love the Fit. I want my Fit to be reliable. If they screwed up the head, I want them to cop to it and revise the damned part. This is HONDA damnit...they know how to do this crap.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:54 PM
I think it was just a bad batch. There are many othwers that have not run into this issue - meaning that even though initial design from Honda was excellent, there was still issues here and there in the production of parts.

The fit is a great vehicle and being a honda engine, you wouldnt expect such failure but it does happen - and its the rarest occurance with Honda.

You did run into some bad luck unfortunately, and I hope your issue can be reaolved without you taking any more losses besides a rental with poor gas mileage.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:52 AM
Multiple people with intake valve failure on #3 makes it hard to believe that it was a QC error like bad casting. Also have to figure that only a VERY small percentage of fit owners would post a problem in a forum.

I hope I"m wrong...because I really like my Fit. If they replace the head, and it fails again at 80K when my warranty goes out? I'm gonna explode. lol

Old 07-19-2019, 01:51 PM
Check the battery

Weak voltage can cause it. Check to see if you need a new battery or if your battery posts are loose. The first time it happened to me, the cable was loose. The second time, I’m taking it to the dealer in a couple of days. It happened right after I had the oil changed, air filter changed, and cabin filter changed. I’m going to assume something wasn’t done correctly.

Old 07-19-2019, 04:37 PM
5 Year Member
messing with the MAF will cause lights to light up

disconnect battery, and see if it goes away

(nice first post ... and 4 yr thread revival)