3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

A few maintenence questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 12:38 AM
A few maintenence questions

Hey all.

We recently got a Fit 2015 EX CVT. Given that this is a commuter vehicle and that we have quite a bit of money (relatively) tied into it, I want to make sure that it stays in the best condition possible (and stays within the warranty, of course). I've read over a few of the threads here but many of the responses were inconclusive.

1. When should one replace the 'break-in' oil?
2. What is the preferred oil to use in the non-winter months? I've seen a lot of people using Mobil 1 AFE 0w20.
3. What is the preferred oil to use in the winter months? We live in the Great Lakes area, so it can get pretty cold (and also pretty hot).
4. What is the preferred oil filter to use? A few people seemed to be recommending a high-capacity Honda filter, and a few seemed to be recommending a Mobil 1 filter.
5. From what I've read, the car can use low-octane fuel, but also benefits from high-octane fuel. Should we be alternating between low and high octane in order to keep the engine in the best condition?

I suspect that this will be opening up a hornets' nest of arguments, but I thought I should ask to try to get clarification anyways.

Last edited by Ameise; 07-22-2015 at 12:40 AM.
Old 07-22-2015, 04:48 AM
5 Year Member
There are many many posts about oil changes. Very simple. Wwhen the Mileage Minder shows 15% go to Honda for an oil and filter change. Or change it once a year if you do not get down to 15% remaining. Pretty simple.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:54 AM
5 Year Member
To the other questions:

2. and 3. Honda recommends 0W-20 for all climates in the USA. This weight should be OK for any temperature variations you may encounter short of racing conditions. Further, almost all oils in this weight are synthetic, so they offer a wide range of 'pourability' (easy starting in cold weather) and 'protection' (in hot weather).

4. Use a good filter (not the cheapest) and you will be OK. If you DIY oil changes, the Honda OEM filter (when purchased from discount online dealers in packs of 6 or more) is a good value. Others prefer Mobil1 or others.
Another factor to remember is that Honda recommends replacing the filter EVERY OTHER oil change. Most shops and DIY'ers replace them EVERY time, even though filter evaluations on BobIsTheOilGuy.com have proven that one filter can be effective for 20 - 25K miles.

5. I haven't seen any reliable studies of this topic for the 2015+ Direct Injection engines, but on older cars it has been shown that ECUs that are calibrated to run on 87 octane will not provide any significant benefit from 89 or 91 - 93 fuel, especially when the increased cost of Premium is factored in.

Instead, try to run a regular-octane Top Tier fuel, which has a certified amount of detergent additives. Top Tier Gasoline

+++++++++++

As long as you perform recommended maintenance at the Honda-recommended intervals, your new Fit will last you a long, long time.