3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Battery and "Check Charge System" on 2016 Fit

Old 01-22-2019, 06:04 PM
Battery and "Check Charge System" on 2016 Fit

I currently own and drive a 2016 Fit. I've had it since October 2015 and it currently has just over 44,000 miles on it so it's out of warranty. It's also my first car (save for the family minivan that was over a decade old when I inherited it as my first car), so I'm pretty new to what's normal and what's abnormal.

I admit that I have had times where I've forgotten to turn off a light and needed a jump start to get my car going again. However, more often, my car has died while sitting in it listening to music (usually while waiting for someone). A few weeks ago, I pulled over to handle an important phone call. I turned the engine off, but stayed on the phone for about 20 minutes talking through Bluetooth. When I went to move, the car would not start. I've also noticed that, at times, my car doesn't seem to want to start.

Then, on Friday, I drove about 20 minutes to a store (primarily at highway speeds as it was around 10-11am on a weekday). I was in the store for maybe 10-15 minutes at most. When I came out to my car, it would not start.

I was able to jump it, but I noticed that the interior dashboard lights were very dim for about half of my trip home. The car sound system was (and still is) compeletely dead; the headlights, power locks, and windows only work when the engine is running [normally, if I shut off the engine, there is a window of time where I can roll down the windows]. Now, today, a "CHECK CHARGE SYSTEM" message popped up on my dashboard.

My intial thought was that my stupidity in forgetting lights or sitting in my car for 20-30 minutes listening to music with the engine turned off shot my battery, but I'm worried it may be something more than that.

Both of my parents had Fits that either died or started to give them issues right around the 5 or 6 year mark. [Meanwhile, our old Odyssey lasted us around 16 years].

Despite not knowing a lot about cars, I did a little research and learned where the fuse box is after I saw that my sound system wasn't working. The fuses all appear to be in working order. Based on my research, my guess is it may be related to the alternator, but, again, I know NOTHING about cars.

Has anyone else run into issues with their Fit's electrical system around 40k-50k miles in? I just want to get a feel for whether or not this is a reccuring issue for Fits or if it truly is just my own stupity as a new car owner.

Old 01-22-2019, 06:27 PM
5 Year Member
It's most likely the battery, which is undersize. You want the 51R, not the 151R which is the stock size Honda uses. See this thread:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...y-2016-ex.html

Old 01-22-2019, 10:41 PM
If you let the battery die you weaken it a little. So if you've done that a bunch of times it's likely you've hurt the battery. Plenty of places will check it for free.