3rd Generation GK Specific DIY: Repair & Maintenance Sub-Forum Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself on the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Can someone confirm for me that this is the right part I'm replacing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 03:21 PM
Question Can someone confirm for me that this is the right part I'm replacing?

Posting here because some of the other repair forums are dead. If a mod wants to move this somewhere, go ahead, just thought I'd get more responses here.

I had this part of my shifter get a crack in it, Honda claims the sun did it. I don't remember hitting it so I can only assume they are right. Either way now light shines through it at night and it's unsightly. Honda wanted over $200 to replace it. I thought maybe I'd do it myself if it wasn't that hard. Thing is I'm having a hard time finding the part.

Honda gave me the part number and I Googled it and this came up. The diagram is really hard for me to follow so I can't confirm with my own eyes if this is indeed the right part. Can someone help me out?

Old 02-11-2019, 03:34 PM
A 2018 ! I would talk to the service manager or try another dealership. if that thing cracked Honda should goodwill it for a 2018!

Old 02-11-2019, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member
The sun cracked it? Just how close did you get to the sun? What a ridiculous excuse, but not surprising. Does Honda expect us to drive only at night?

It looks like the part you need cost just $5.00 - #8. I've taken the console apart - removed it. It's not too bad a job. It's held together with Philips screws and snap tabs. A screw or two holds the shifter in place (there might be a spring or two in there - not sure), and the console is attached by screws, from what I recall. Get help from a friend or bring it to a trusted, local mechanic. Buy the part yourself and save some money.

I found notes I made in 2014 when I wanted to remove the console from mine.

Console Removal

October 24, 2014
Can you tell me how to get the center console out? I see the two "screws" near the footwell on each side. I need to know how to remove gear shift knob and does it just pull up? Thanks

REPLY: Center console removal
- pop out the plastic cover behind the armrest (facing the rear seats), unplug the lighter and USB
- remove the two lower bolts
- remove the lower front center console panel containing the lighter, HDMI and USB (one screw on top - then pop it out) once done, you'll see two screws in the center which are to be removed.
- remove the gear shift knob
- the console is now held in place by a center clip (green). Just pull up the console and give is a small tug to un-pop the clip. Remember to reinstall the clip back to the console if it gets stuck with the car body.

If your gearshift knob is auto there is a thread somewhere on FF that describes this. (Update: SilverEX15 to the rescue in the succeeding post)
For the 6-speed, you have to pull down the boot shift cover (held in place with plastic hooks at the base of the knob). Once you separate the cover from the knob then just unscrew to remove.

The back of the console is a separate piece. It's just clipped on. Pull it off and you'll see two 8mm bolts. There will also be 3 cables that need to be unplugged. Then it will just pull out. There is also a green clip, like what's used in the doors, near the e-brake. It will just come loose when you pull up. Just make sure you reconnect it when you re-install.

October 25, 2014
There is a plastic cover at the very back of the console, behind the armrest from top to bottom. It looks like an attached part but it isn't. It will pop out because its held by clips. Once that's done, you'll see two bolts at the bottom.

Old 02-11-2019, 03:43 PM
To be fair you guys I live in Florida so it might be legit lol

Old 02-11-2019, 03:45 PM
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
The sun cracked it? Just how close did you get to the sun? What a ridiculous excuse, but not surprising. Does Honda expect us to drive only at night?

It looks like the part you need cost just $5.00 - #8. I've taken the console apart - removed it. It's not too bad a job. It's held together with Philips screws and snap tabs. A screw or two holds the shifter in place (there might be a spring or two in there - not sure), and the console is attached by screws, from what I recall. Get help from a friend or bring it to a trusted, local mechanic. Buy the part yourself and save some money.

I found notes I made in 2014 when I wanted to remove the console from mine.

Console Removal

October 24, 2014
Can you tell me how to get the center console out? I see the two "screws" near the footwell on each side. I need to know how to remove gear shift knob and does it just pull up? Thanks

REPLY: Center console removal
- pop out the plastic cover behind the armrest (facing the rear seats), unplug the lighter and USB
- remove the two lower bolts
- remove the lower front center console panel containing the lighter, HDMI and USB (one screw on top - then pop it out) once done, you'll see two screws in the center which are to be removed.
- remove the gear shift knob
- the console is now held in place by a center clip (green). Just pull up the console and give is a small tug to un-pop the clip. Remember to reinstall the clip back to the console if it gets stuck with the car body.

If your gearshift knob is auto there is a thread somewhere on FF that describes this. (Update: SilverEX15 to the rescue in the succeeding post)
For the 6-speed, you have to pull down the boot shift cover (held in place with plastic hooks at the base of the knob). Once you separate the cover from the knob then just unscrew to remove.

The back of the console is a separate piece. It's just clipped on. Pull it off and you'll see two 8mm bolts. There will also be 3 cables that need to be unplugged. Then it will just pull out. There is also a green clip, like what's used in the doors, near the e-brake. It will just come loose when you pull up. Just make sure you reconnect it when you re-install.

October 25, 2014
There is a plastic cover at the very back of the console, behind the armrest from top to bottom. It looks like an attached part but it isn't. It will pop out because its held by clips. Once that's done, you'll see two bolts at the bottom.
Thanks for letting me know it's #8, I didn't even see that curved part. So that's the only part I need right? Whew. It seems a little more involved than I previously thought.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Pumpkintacos
I live in Florida too. My car is not garaged, but does have a carport. There are no cracks of any kind. If it's under warranty, I'd insist it be replaced free.

Old 02-11-2019, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by exl500
I live in Florida too. My car is not garaged, but does have a carport. There are no cracks of any kind. If it's under warranty, I'd insist it be replaced free.
I don't have a carport, it sits in the sun all day. I did question if it was under warranty and they said no. That's as far as I went with it.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:02 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for letting me know it's #8, I didn't even see that curved part. So that's the only part I need right? Whew. It seems a little more involved than I previously thought.
Confirm that before you buy it. That site should have a phone number.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:26 AM
5 Year Member
if indeed you need to replace the part (sans warranty) and the piece that is cracked is the one where it indicates P/R/N/D/S then the part is indeed correct, item #10. Part #8 is the cover that hides the innards of the console and surrounds just the gear shift lever.

Old 02-12-2019, 11:23 AM
Talking I call dealer BS

I Call dealer BS. 1st