Lane Watch Camera Bug and Replacing the Head Unit

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 03:26 PM
...Note:Please be advised that this is a short term solution, as we work to publish a long term repair.....
Translation: We haven't a clue about what is going on so we're going to throw parts at it and hope it goes away for the time being.

Sounds like a very good reason to opt for the LX!

Old 08-18-2014, 12:57 AM
5 Year Member
Or it sounds like a very good reason to buy next years EX-L!

Old 08-18-2014, 04:39 PM
I just got my Fit back today. The service manager told me exactly what 15BlkPrl posted up. I will be getting a reman DA unit installed. I'll keep you guys updated on my progress. One of the good things is that Honda is aware of the problem and I'm not the only one that has this defect.

Old 08-18-2014, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
I have a HondaCustSvc member PMing on the board about this issue, asking for my VIN, Phone Number, milegage and dealer.

Can I get a forum administrator to verify if this is a legitimate Honda account, or a phisher?

Thanks.

Name:  TLHaF5K.png
Views: 71
Size:  22.5 KB

Last edited by Raziaar; 08-18-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Raziaar
I have a HondaCustSvc member PMing on the board about this issue, asking for my VIN, Phone Number, milegage and dealer.

Can I get a forum administrator to verify if this is a legitimate Honda account, or a phisher?

Thanks.

I am sure he is legit. I had placed an order and he contacted me about it. There would have been no other way for him to know.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
I received the exact same message yesterday, as well. I don't doubt it is legit. I'm still in the process of selecting which dealer I want to use here in Nashville for service (we purchased our fit from an out of town dealer), before I respond.

Old 08-19-2014, 12:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Raziaar

Thanks.

I got the same message

Old 08-20-2014, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by fenster1138
Has anyone who has had their head unit replaced seen the issue with the lane watch camera any more? I'm curious if it actually helped as I am seeing it about once a week now and seems to be getting more frequent.
Yes it was replaced just before I left on vacation. It seems to work now, but one time I almost thought it wasn't going to work. It took a long time to switch over to the lane-change camera. I think there may still be a bug. Normally it takes a second or less to display, this took much longer.

Old 08-21-2014, 05:38 AM
5 Year Member
Ultimately I feel like this issue is a pretty big deal. The cameras are touted not just as toys, but a big part of the safety features of the car. They better get a grip on this in a hurry. I will not buy until it's resolved. Yanking a head unit isn't gonna be the ultimate fix I don't think. A firmware fix will do it I'm guessing. Get this done Honda. If there are others like me, you're losing buyers until this is fixed.

Old 08-21-2014, 01:16 PM
Yes, I'm of the same mind. I'll already be checking build dates to make sure that my car isn't one of those that sat out in the dust and sun for months waiting for the bumper update, and I'll be much less likely to want an EX if it comes with a buggy/slow display for the cameras.

This stuff isn't rocket science and should be fixed immediately.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:50 AM
Okay, it has happened twice now with the new audio unit. It does switch to the lane-change camera, but it takes about 3 seconds (when it acts up) versus less than 1 when it is working correctly. I'm going to let Honda know about that.

Old 08-22-2014, 11:53 AM
Thanks for letting us know. My dealership speculated that the replacement audio units had not been reengineered in anyway, and the replacement was more about Honda engineers acquiring units which had exhibited the glitch, so that the glitch could be investigated and resolved.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:33 PM
Just heard back from Jonathon at Honda America and he sounded perplexed. It almost sounded like they were backing away from the problem to let the dealer figure it out. Before they were falling over themselves to accommodate me, offering me a loaner car and so on.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Zute
Just heard back from Jonathon at Honda America and he sounded perplexed. It almost sounded like they were backing away from the problem to let the dealer figure it out. Before they were falling over themselves to accommodate me, offering me a loaner car and so on.
I also worked with Jonathan from American Honda. Nice guy. He seems to be focused in on these LaneWatch issues. Disappointing to hear he is backing away.

Old 08-25-2014, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Zute
Jonathon at Honda America just sent me a message and said he will call me in the morning before noon. I just talked to my daughter in Knoxville (school), and she is having the same problem as everyone else...the lane watch turning into the rear view, screen going black, and so forth. The only time I saw it was the night we purchased the car and were driving back to Nashville, and our screen went black when we attempted to use lane watch at night. I expected to see the headlights of the car I was passing, but instead all I saw was black screen. I tend to agree that they are probably getting units with known issues to study, and it may be they have all they need, which might explain the perceived slowdown in pursuing the problem. I will know more in the morning when he calls me.

Old 08-25-2014, 11:47 PM
5 Year Member
Well here's to hoping they actually fix this and do not side step it. More than the lane watch, which I still want, I want the backup camera in a big way when I get a new Fit. My neck continues to get worse and cranking my head all the way around is becoming more painful the older I get. I realize that the backup camera cannot be completely relied upon- you have to look very carefully with your own eyes too. But the backup camera is a huge aid to what is just about the most treacherous maneuver a driver does- back up. It's not nearly a given you can always park ass-in in a spot. Backing out is the norm, mostly. Without question, that camera is important to have working consistently. So too is the lane watch but perhaps to a lesser extent. Please Honda, get this issue solved. Thank you.

Last edited by Shockwave199; 08-25-2014 at 11:51 PM.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:03 AM
5 Year Member
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 15BlkPrl
Action Required:
Order a reman DA system appropriate for the model.
Isn't that generous of Honda to used a "REMAN"ufactured DA system for a new car.

Hail the new world order where Honda saves a few dollar over installing a NEW unit, and the customer is conditioned from the jump not to expect integrity from the manufacturer.

The icing on the cake: it's a temporary fix, meaning you lose your new DA unit and the problem is not permanently corrected, as the root cause is obviously unknown at this time.

Gotta love that south-of-the border Honda quality.

Hail Celeya, where the new Fit will become a profitable product, above and beyond the devaluation of the dollar against the yen, even when the product is produced half a continent away from Japan.

Enjoy your new Fit, folks.

Old 08-26-2014, 04:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by badself
Isn't that generous of Honda to used a "REMAN"ufactured DA system for a new car.

Hail the new world order where Honda saves a few dollar over installing a NEW unit, and the customer is conditioned from the jump not to expect integrity from the manufacturer.

The icing on the cake: it's a temporary fix, meaning you lose your new DA unit and the problem is not permanently corrected, as the root cause is obviously unknown at this time.

Gotta love that south-of-the border Honda quality.

Hail Celeya, where the new Fit will become a profitable product, above and beyond the devaluation of the dollar against the yen, even when the product is produced half a continent away from Japan.

Enjoy your new Fit, folks.
I have no problem with refurbished products, as long as they carry the original warranty. Refurbished means a "hands on" review, as opposed to playing the "anticipate a % of defect coming straight off the manufacturer line", game.

As for Integrity, it was Honda that monitored a "Fit forum" and contacted me (and others), directly for a fix. Now, if that is not integrity.....

If your worried about cars made in Mexico, you will want to avoid future Audi, BMW and Mercedes as well, as they are all planning facilities in Mexico within the next two years.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/25/k...-plant-mexico/

Finally, thanks! My daughter is enjoying her new Fit!

Last edited by Vanguard; 08-27-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:14 PM
The glitch has not happened again since Honda replaced the head unit one month ago. I drove 1485 miles and LaneWatch was on about half of the time. I use it heavily, and often just leave it on all the time.

My new head unit's version information is:

Application: Ver.1.D200.30
Device No: 94450116
DBOOT: H14M DA US 3.26
Software Loader: 2.5200.3501.45
System microCom: H42F10 31.29.12

I am curious if this is different from the original head unit, can somebody check theirs?

You can see the first two numbers from the Info screen, then press the menu button, the system information.
To get the last three numbers you have to enter diagnostic mode by pressing power, eject and home. One of the options in diagnostic mode shows the versions, I forgot exactly what it was called but it shouldn't take long to find.

Last edited by simonx314; 09-13-2014 at 10:26 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:42 PM
I will have to check mine. I've only had the Lanewatch 2-3 second delay thing happen 3 times so far. I can live with it as long as it only happens once every few weeks.

Quick Reply: Lane Watch Camera Bug and Replacing the Head Unit