Android Auto

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 07:18 AM
Old 09-29-2014, 08:59 AM
Yeah I saw that. Kind of makes you realize that HondaLink's interface look like a 1980's Radio Shack clock.

Last edited by phillyfit08; 09-29-2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:54 PM
5 Year Member
So which are we getting? carplay? or android auto. Hopefully you could just go down to the dealer and pay a small fee and they could just flash the OS we would want. Maybe that would be too reasonable and EZ though.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:56 PM
More likely go to a dealer and buy a new car to use this, if it is ever released. There is no profit to Honda allowing its owners to use alternatives to their own interface.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:01 AM
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
More likely go to a dealer and buy a new car to use this, if it is ever released. There is no profit to Honda allowing its owners to use alternatives to their own interface.
You are correct but they might be forced to. Hyundai is still saying they are moving forward with both Android Auto and Carplay. Honda will eventually have to offer them or ultimately lose sales.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GeorgeL
Well the profit is in selling cars and if Honda lacks features other car makers have they will lose sales.

That said Honda will have Android Auto in 2015:

Honda vehicles featuring Android Auto will debut in 2015; models and trims will be announced at a later date

Honda Press Releases - Honda Vehicles to Seamlessly Integrate Android Smartphone Features with Android Auto - June 25, 2014
Also:

Supposedly (I've read on one of Honda's own sites that it IS coming)

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...apability.html
I too have read it on some official Honda web site and have heard from the sales manager that Android Auto will be on the 2015 FITs later near the end of the year.

Old 09-30-2014, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by CIOWN
Well the profit is in selling cars and if Honda lacks features other car makers have they will lose sales.

That said Honda will have Android Auto in 2015:

Also:

I too have read it on some official Honda web site and have heard from the sales manager that Android Auto will be on the 2015 FITs later near the end of the year.
The devil is in the details:

Honda will introduce select vehicles compatible with Android Auto™ in 2015.

That is from their press release. It never states the Honda Fit will get it.

I have seen a couple of individual Honda dealerships say it will get it on their sites but that is untrustworthy.

I have had several sales people tell me it is coming but until it is on Honda.com, my money stays in my bank account. Trust me I have been following this for months.

Edit: There is android compatibility coming in late 2014 but that doesn't mean Android Auto is coming

Old 09-30-2014, 01:47 PM
guarantee honda won't offer this to flash over existing headunit
this thread is worthless unless honda announce anything

Old 09-30-2014, 01:56 PM
If it is any consolation, I did find this awhile ago. It is from Google I/O exhibit. If you check out 5:55 and 7:05 you see that Android Auto is running on HondaLink. Keep in mind that this was for a prototype civic but it certainly looks like the same stereo as the Fit:

Old 09-30-2014, 02:20 PM
let's pray google does release a hondalink app
so far the android app from honda SUCKS big time

Old 09-30-2014, 05:41 PM
Too bad even a more simpler version of this couldn't be flashed to 12'-13' navi's.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:33 AM
http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/01/nvidia-honda-connect/

Old 10-02-2014, 05:17 AM
Originally Posted by mecevans
http://www.engadget.com/2014/10/01/nvidia-honda-connect/
So sad. Now it really looks like I won't buy a Fit. Seriously ICS 4.0? So a 2011 operating system in 2015 vehicle? "Keeping up with the times" is lost on Honda.

Edit: Even though the article is for the Civic, I doubt they will give the Fit a better option than the more highly priced Civic.

Last edited by phillyfit08; 10-02-2014 at 05:19 AM.
Old 10-04-2014, 03:12 AM
Honda doesn't have a reputation of doing things first. They like to wait to see what everyone else does and follow the one that works the best. They were last to add OBD2 and last to add EVAP monitoring.

From what I read, this will be a optional add on for european markets next year. Android auto is really just an extension of your phones screen and is not very process heavy. I see no reason why that can't flash the current head unit with it. If we can get around the screen mirroring while driving thing it won't really matter.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by CIOWN
...heard from the sales manager that Android Auto will be on the 2015 FITs later near the end of the year.
I suspect he was referring to the Android version of the existing iPhone app that displays Honda's navigation app on the touchscreen through the HDMI port. iPhone users report that the HondaLink navigation app is terrible. Android Auto uses USB, not HDMI, and feeds a powerful version of Android to the touchscreen, not Honda's proprietary junk.

Last edited by simonx314; 10-06-2014 at 09:24 AM.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:57 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by phillyfit08
So sad. Now it really looks like I won't buy a Fit. Seriously ICS 4.0? So a 2011 operating system in 2015 vehicle? "Keeping up with the times" is lost on Honda.

Edit: Even though the article is for the Civic, I doubt they will give the Fit a better option than the more highly priced Civic.
What OS they use in the car is really irrelevant. This will just replace whatever they're currently running. What matters is it's ability to interface with your phone. Right now for Android, that's not at all...but as long as they release a HondaLink app for Android (and hopefully one thats supports Android Auto), everything is all good.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by Satertek
What OS they use in the car is really irrelevant. This will just replace whatever they're currently running. What matters is it's ability to interface with your phone. Right now for Android, that's not at all...but as long as they release a HondaLink app for Android (and hopefully one thats supports Android Auto), everything is all good.
The upcoming Hondalink app for Android has nothing at all to do with Android Auto. Even if that app were to support Android Auto in some way, that functionality would only work in a car that supports Android Auto, which the 2015 Fit doesn't.

The OS on the car is not irrelevant. The car's HondaLink OS needs to be aware of when Android Auto is running or not. There needs to be a function/button in HondaLink which hands over the car's hardware sensors to Android Auto.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by simonx314
The upcoming Hondalink app for Android has nothing at all to do with Android Auto. Even if that app were to support Android Auto in some way, that functionality would only work in a car that supports Android Auto, which the 2015 Fit doesn't.

The OS on the car is not irrelevant. The car's HondaLink OS needs to be aware of when Android Auto is running or not. There needs to be a function/button in HondaLink which hands over the car's hardware sensors to Android Auto.
simon is correct. The car has to have android auto capability (and has phone to run Android L). The two will handshake, then viola! Android Auto on your car. For Honda to use a 4 year old OS is just plain silly and pretty much tells us that they are going in a different direction.

I honestly don't care if Android Auto is like an upgrade that costs a couple of hundred, I just don't want to buy a car to have the whole "infotainment" system outdated in less than a year. Now I wait....until they offer it (and which model) or maybe their competitors will offer it first. Luckily I have the ability to wait to upgrade my car.

Old 10-06-2014, 07:48 PM
5 Year Member
My comment on Android Auto on current models was more wishful thinking than anything. (And "HondaLink" is the just name of the infotainment system that they'll probably continue to use. "HondaLink Next Next Generation with CarPlay and Android Auto" or somesuch.)

My point is that the what specific OS the head unit uses on future models does not matter. What matters is how the head unit OS interfaces with a phone. Android Auto applications do not run on the head unit, they run on a phone that is connected through USB, provided the correct extensions are available on the head unit to facilitate that communication. They can still do that with Android 4.0, they could still do that if they used their own proprietary OS, it doesn't matter.

Last edited by Satertek; 10-06-2014 at 07:57 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:19 PM
I posted a tweet to honda today asking about android auto and the 15 fit ex, they responded that there will be an update on android auto soon. Sounds promising but im not getting my hopes up just yet.

Quick Reply: Android Auto