Playing Music from a Flash Drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 12:06 PM
5 Year Member
Playing Music from a Flash Drive

A couple of weeks ago, I inserted a small flash drive into the front USB slot, and I could play music from it. I recently updated the music on it, but I can't see a way to access it now. What am I missing? "Source" shows me AM, FM, Bluetooth, and iPod.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:14 PM
The owners manual has several pages of excellent info on this subject, no need to repeat it here

Old 09-29-2014, 01:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Jack92029
The owners manual has several pages of excellent info on this subject, no need to repeat it here
If only that worked!

Basically, insert the flash drive and select it with the Source button. And when that doesn't work - as it did two weeks ago?

Old 09-29-2014, 07:14 PM
That should be all you have to do. Do you have the USB port in the armrest also? If so try it there and see if it picks it up

Old 09-29-2014, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
Or try your query on one of these previously well-established, highly informative threads:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ash-drive.html

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ory-stick.html

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/faq....faq_vb3_search

Last edited by cheesewhiz; 09-29-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:11 PM
Has it worked since you had that panel out? Wonder if the came has worked loose?

Old 09-29-2014, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
????????

Originally Posted by tmfit
Has it worked since you had that panel out? Wonder if the came has worked loose?
That's right! Forgot SilverEX did some R&R in that area. On my LX 5" display the USB symbol shows up on the top of the display even if audio system is turned off ... it shows that a USB device is connected and similarly shows blutooth connectivity. With the ignition set to accessory you should be able to see connectivity on your display: IF no USB symbol THEN no music.

As tmfit suggested try the other USB in armrest: if audio system recognizes something is connected then you have issue with other port; if it doesn't recognize a device connected on either port you have bigger issues.

On the other hand if you DO show connectivity on both ports (but won't play files) then you just have an issue with the thumb drive ... maybe f-ed something up when updating the drive. Try wiping out the drive: delete everything.... maybe even re-format, start from scratch. Then move the files back to the thumb and try again.

Good Luck! Post update of your findings

Last edited by cheesewhiz; 09-29-2014 at 10:49 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:26 AM
5 Year Member
It was my stupid mistake. I have a FitBit that uses a tiny USB plug-in, and it looks almost exactly like my tiny flash drive. That's what I inserted into the slot in my Fit. Of course it didn't work. Now I'm back to normal.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by cheesewhiz
On the other hand if you DO show connectivity on both ports (but won't play files) then you just have an issue with the thumb drive ... maybe f-ed something up when updating the drive. Try wiping out the drive: delete everything.... maybe even re-format, start from scratch. Then move the files back to the thumb and try again.

Good Luck! Post update of your findings
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
It was my stupid mistake. I have a FitBit that uses a tiny USB plug-in, and it looks almost exactly like my tiny flash drive. That's what I inserted into the slot in my Fit. Of course it didn't work. Now I'm back to normal.
..... OR it could be PILOT ERROR!!!! You "Buddy-Bugged" yourself! Do you work on the shift before me by any chance? I get a lot of this at work

Old 09-30-2014, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
..... OR it could be PILOT ERROR!!!! You "Buddy-Bugged" yourself! Do you work on the shift before me by any chance? I get a lot of this at work
I got one of these little guys. It's so small that the USB door can close over it.

Amazon.com: SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive- SDCZ33-016G-B35: Electronics Amazon.com: SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive- SDCZ33-016G-B35: Electronics

Old 09-30-2014, 03:43 PM
5 Year Member
Mini

Originally Posted by SilverEX15
I got one of these little guys. It's so small that the USB door can close over it.

Amazon.com: SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16GB USB 2.0 Low-Profile Flash Drive- SDCZ33-016G-B35: Electronics
I LIKE IT!!! Need one real bad ... thnx!

BTW .. what is a FitBit?

Old 09-30-2014, 04:25 PM
Glad you figured it out! We are often our own worst enemies :-P

Old 10-20-2014, 11:07 PM

BTW .. what is a FitBit?
Fitbit is Awesome. I use the FitBit One and its just a little thing that you clip on your belt that's pretty simple in its own right. It counts steps. BUT since its teamed up with their software you get a lot of data. Calories burned, step goals, floors climbed, and sleep tracking. Being able to see my sleep data before and AFTER my baby was born is worth laughing about. End Rant.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ADVphotography
Fitbit is Awesome. I use the FitBit One and its just a little thing that you clip on your belt that's pretty simple in its own right. It counts steps. BUT since its teamed up with their software you get a lot of data. Calories burned, step goals, floors climbed, and sleep tracking. Being able to see my sleep data before and AFTER my baby was born is worth laughing about. End Rant.
I keep mine in the watch pocket of my jeans, but that would be a perfect place for my Fit "key." Maybe I'll bring all my pants to a tailor and make sure they all have two watch pockets. I never thought of clipping it to my belt. I'd be afraid that it would get knocked off. The FitBit site says to clip it to your bra. I'd be too embarrassed shopping for a bra, and I think it would look funny under my shirts.

I used to enter all the food I ate on the FitBit site, but that got to be a nuisance. Mine doesn't track my sleep, but that's okay, because I'm usually asleep then, anyway.