Satellite radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 09:55 AM
Satellite radio

I just bought my 2015 Fit and was frustrated to learn that to get satellite radio I had to buy the top of the line EX-L with Navigation. I bought this car to drive locally. If I need Navigation for some reason, I have Tom-Tom that I can hook up (or I can use one of the apps available for my phone). What I do like to use is satellite radio to listen to my favorite music and news stations. I'm sure that Honda will eventually realize that this simple thing will drive away some buyers, what a shame. I think this is a great little car except for this.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Counselor
I just bought my 2015 Fit and was frustrated to learn that to get satellite radio I had to buy the top of the line EX-L with Navigation....
ugh, he we go again.... search n00b

long story short, install a standalone sirius/xm radio via the aux port if you have an LX or install an fm modulator if you have an EX. i have had mine installed for 4 months now in my EX, and after finding the right fm station, i have no issues.

Last edited by rodney; 02-01-2015 at 01:06 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:41 PM
Yes, he should have searched.
The FM Modulator is not a good option from what I recall when I considered it for my Civic 8 yrs ago. Perhaps that has changed? How does the FM Modulator work on your Fit?

I have used the AUX on my Civic for 8 yrs...it's a bit of a pain, and as that is not an option on the EX (no AUX), then I am looking for options myself.

I hope to buy a new car in the next month or two and the Fit is at the top of my list.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Counselor
......just bought my 2015 Fit and was frustrated to learn that to get satellite radio I had to buy the top of the line EX-L with Navigation..............

Can definitely feel the frustration not having the sat radio. After listening to the sat in the wife's Lexus RX, and, after making the pre-order for the LX early in 2014, had lotsa time to make a "plan" to resolve this issue.

Posted on the "What Mods....." thread, discounted using FM modulation as I knew the LX had the Aux input. Finally, didn't use it as getting the clearest sound was the goal. From the Onyx XM, plugged a mini jack to RCA plug convertor and ran the RCA cables to my sound processor then to the amp. It sounds as good, with a better bass, than the Lexus's Mark Levinson system.

As others have posted, FM modulation is the quickest solution. Note that the equipment that comes with the Onyx XM has a regular connector for the antenna which taps into the OEM HU. The antenna connector for the GK HU's are not the same.
Some FF guys have done this on their GK's so its time for them to chime in and share their installs.

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 02-08-2015 at 07:28 AM.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:44 PM
Oh, here we go again. Once again. My girlfriend and test drove a new FIT. It was to her car. I have numerous times displayed my displearure for the new FIT. They was one of reasons we passed it up.
I only com here so other potenial buyers can see a read these posts and make biased decision before making a purchase.
I have satellite radio in current vehicle and had in my vehicle I traded. I drive alot of miles, so does my girlfriend. It was somthing we really wanted.
As pointed out, only after buying the top-of-line EX-L model and then springing another $1000 for the NAV, do you get satellite radio. Once again, seems pretty routine and normal that it's offered by about every other automaker in any about any trim level except maybe base. I know lots of people who have satellite radio and don't even want it. It was just there and free for a trial period. Not Honda, they command top dollar for such an item.
I could, as suggested by the saleman, install and stand alone aftermarket unit. I don't want that. I came looking at the Honda FIT for quality in the first place. I don't want some half-assed Sirius reciever suctioned cupped to the dash. I dont want clutter of loose wires dangling. I dont want some inferior sound from an FM modulator. I wanted a clean factory install without being forced to pay for anything and everything else. Having a nice clean and quality fit and finish in the interior was what brought us to the FIT in the first place.
I could skip the satellite radio and stream music like Pandora. I live in a very rural area. Cell phone service is sparse. It will drive you nuts trying to stream music because of intermittent service.
Or one could just buy a different vehicle.

I'm so

Last edited by cuemark8; 02-06-2015 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ROTTBOY
As others have posted, FM modulation is the quickest solution. Note that the equipment that comes with the Onyx XM has a regular connector for the antenna. The antenna connector for the GK HU's are not the same.
Some FF guys have done this on their GK's so its time for them to chime in and share their installs.
here is my post from 4 months back:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ml#post1274139

as far as the actual install, it is just an sirius antenna on the dash, and a sirius head unit in front of the cupholder. not a perfect install, but it was good enough to be safe in the event of a collision. i may clean it up in the spring.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:51 PM
I have a lifetime sub to Sirius (bought in 2009 when it was a lot cheaper), so I had to have Sirius. That said, I wasn't expecting it in the Fit when I was car shopping a month ago.

I paid someone $80 to put in my old received. It's secure, wires-hidden, dash-mounted, plugged into AUX. (As someone mentioned, avoid the FM option, as you will be disappointed as compared to AUX.)

Couldn't be happier now, and I'm not throwing a "Fit" about Honda not including this in my 2015 LX. It's what it is. I can see why some folks expect it; I didn't.

Old 02-06-2015, 11:08 PM
Why not just sign up with Sirius XM and get the "All Access" package, which allows you to use XM app from your smartphone to your audio system via Bluetooth?

That what I use when I drive my 2013 Honda Accord Sport.

If you decide to.... Don't give in to their prices! Try to get the lowest possible price by negotiating.

Last edited by SparknDutch; 02-06-2015 at 11:10 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:02 AM
Hey may enjoy that until his XM is interrupted because his phone lost 3g/4g connection.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SparknDutch
...use... your smartphone...
Originally Posted by Desmond Lamar MacRae
...his phone lost 3g/4g connection.
exactly my problem. i drive a lot in rural upstate ny, and do not have consistant cell signal many of the times i am in the car. sirius radio solves music streaming issue and searching for radio stations.

seems to be a reoccuring theme regarding satellite radio. people who are in built up metro areas telling others who live in rural places to "just stream pandora" or "use the xm app".

Old 02-07-2015, 10:21 AM
5 Year Member
I'll suggest a USB flash drive with your music in top level "genre" folders you choose. For example, you can have "Bluegrass" and "Newgrass," or "Folk Rock" and "Light Rock" and "Hard Rock" and so on. It even works in tunnels.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:25 AM
5 Year Member
The approach for music on a stick is not a bad idea.

The audio quality for music is so poor with XM/Serius that I'm surprised anyone would ever use it for anything but talk shows.

I noticed the highly compressed sound right away when I had the free trial in the ST and beyond the first week, never gave it a second thought.

Old 02-08-2015, 10:32 AM
As hit on may times. It's the ease of use. I dont download much music ever. It's never been that big of deal to me to have to be downloading music.
It's a time consuming hassle to be always downloading music.
For those in rural areas with the constant intermittent and spotty cell phone service, streaming music like Pandora isn't a viable option.
Fading in and out radio stations is great to listen too either. No quality sound there.
I drive a lot, Sirius satellite isn't the greatest quality sound either. It sure a hell beats a skiping and pausing streaming song and sure as hell beats a fading radio station.
Sirius requires no effort from me to obtain songs, unlike downloading. It takes time and effort on my part to search and download any and every song I ever had.
Also, I don't have an unlimited amount of Data on my cellphone plan. With me driving alot. I have, and can, pretty easily go over on my Data usage streaming music, so I keep I try to keep streaming music to a minimum. A sirius satellite radio monthly subscription is cheaper than Data overage charges!

Last edited by cuemark8; 02-08-2015 at 10:45 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 11:40 AM
Originally Posted by tbFit
The approach for music on a stick is not a bad idea.

The audio quality for music is so poor with XM/Serius that I'm surprised anyone would ever use it for anything but talk shows.

I noticed the highly compressed sound right away when I had the free trial in the ST and beyond the first week, never gave it a second thought.

'Poor quality' is a long standing 'complaint'. I honestly believe it must vary by where you are because my radios sound pretty good.

Also...when you are dealing with a car that lets in as much wind/road noise as a Fit, anyone wanting great 'sound quality' is living in a dream. By definition, nothing is going to sound as good as you would like it in a Fit.

I currently own a 2006 Civic...I know about sound quality and wind/road noise. It's a compromise. If I had a Lexus, I might feel a bit different, but even on my home receivers, XM sounds pretty darn good.

Last edited by leavenfish; 02-08-2015 at 11:42 AM.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:57 PM
Can I plug a XM radio into the USB port in my FIT EX?

Old 02-09-2015, 07:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ken9021
Can I plug a XM radio into the USB port in my FIT EX?
nope, will not work.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member
Posted on a similar thread, bluetooth adapters:

Amazon.com: 3.5mm bluetooth transmitter

Old 02-18-2015, 09:39 AM
I'm totally disappointed in Honda's lack of radio offerings. Nearly every manufacturer offers integrated Sat radio in all their models. Some even offer it in the base models. Honda can't get it together and offer Sat radio except in a trim level that cost 5k more? Pathetic.

I've decided not to buy a fit because of this. It's almost hilarious if it isn't so pathetic that the EX model doesn't even have an aux in. Whose bright idea was that?

Combine this fact and the failing quality of Honda and I just can't bring myself to buy one again. Looks like I'll move to Toyota.

And yes, I know you can get an aftermarket add on. I have one installed in my current car. I'm not a fan. It sounds ok but you can't integrate it with steering wheel controls and it's not the same thing as a main unit with Sat radio access.

Old 02-18-2015, 12:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kailuaboy
I'm totally disappointed in Honda's lack of radio offerings. Nearly every manufacturer offers integrated Sat radio in all their models. Some even offer it in the base models. Honda can't get it together and offer Sat radio except in a trim level that cost 5k more? Pathetic.

I've decided not to buy a fit because of this. It's almost hilarious if it isn't so pathetic that the EX model doesn't even have an aux in. Whose bright idea was that?

Combine this fact and the failing quality of Honda and I just can't bring myself to buy one again. Looks like I'll move to Toyota.

And yes, I know you can get an aftermarket add on. I have one installed in my current car. I'm not a fan. It sounds ok but you can't integrate it with steering wheel controls and it's not the same thing as a main unit with Sat radio access.
This is one of the more amusing posts I've come across on this forum. It would be interesting to see if the IP it was posted from matched any previous posts. So the Toyota Yaris offers XM on lower trim levels? Any trim levels?

Old 02-18-2015, 01:03 PM
Originally Posted by Fitmo
This is one of the more amusing posts I've come across on this forum. It would be interesting to see if the IP it was posted from matched any previous posts. So the Toyota Yaris offers XM on lower trim levels? Any trim levels?
Yaris? No.

Kia Soul offers it.

You can get it on the Corolla without buying the loaded package.

The same goes for the Nissan Versa and Mazda 3.

Why would my IP match a previous post?

It may strike you as odd, but not everyone blindly supports whatever Honda does.

The EX model doesn't even have an Aux in. I don't understand what Honda was thinking.

Quick Reply: Satellite radio