Radio froze - 2015 EX

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 11:11 AM
Radio froze - 2015 EX

This is the second time this has happened in the 7 weeks I had the car.

Started I this morning and I must have hit the source button to put the radio in AM mode before I turned it off last night. I tried to change the source using the source button on the steering wheel, the unit beeped like it was changing sources but stayed on AM. I used the head using to change sources and when I clicked on a source it highlighted it but did not change. Subsequent presses were ignored. I could change the volume and AM station but nothing else. I could toggle between radio and info. I had to turn the car off and back on and then it worked.

Anyone else have this issue?

I don't remember exactly how it happened the first time, but it was within a week of getting it.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:24 PM
5 Year Member
Something similar happened to my EX just one time. The head unit acted like it didn't "boot" correctly. It powered up, but when I tried to change source, it changed once, then locked up completely and wouldn't respond to any inputs. I shut it off, ran into the house to grab my iPhone to video this strange behavior to report it, then restarted the car. Of course, the radio worked fine, and has ever since.

I suspect the computer didn't load an operating system file correctly just that once.

Old 08-16-2015, 04:53 PM
5 Year Member
Mine has frozen once, flipped through channels once and refused to shut off once. IMO, the biggest fault of this car is the radio.

When I shut the car off and reset, it's good to go.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:27 AM
5 Year Member
It happened to me once on a trip… while idling for the AC at a rest stop. Shutting the car off for 10-15 seconds didn't reset it… shutting it off for a minute or so did.

Keep in mind the radio OS is Windows. It needs Ctrl-Alt-Del buttons.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:27 AM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Ex-MA Hole
Mine has frozen once, flipped through channels once and refused to shut off once. IMO, the biggest fault of this car is the radio.

When I shut the car off and reset, it's good to go.
Is there a RESET button on the radio, or did you unplug the battery?

Old 08-20-2015, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan

No "reset" button. Shutting the car off for a couple of minutes seems to allow the system to reboot.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kenchan
This must not be a very common problem for Fit owners. In the Mk3 Ford Focus forum, a My Ford Touch owner with a similar issue would have received multiple responses describing what fuses to pull, from which fuse boxes, located exactly where, in a matter of a hour or so from their post.

LOL.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:26 AM
5 Year Member
I just shut the car off and it was fine when I turned it on.

Old 08-22-2015, 03:35 PM
It happened to me once, talked to my sales guy and was gonna bring it in after class, but it didn't happen again. Mine was also playing a jump drive that I just kept in the car and never had any other issues with it.

Sidenote: It did randomly decide to shut off the audio the other night. Not sure why that happened....

Old 08-25-2015, 07:37 AM
5 Year Member
Radio froze, happens regularly for me.

I've had my 2015 for 10 months. About 2 months in, the head unit froze and would not respond to button presses or taps. Most times the head unit reboots. Sometimes I have to reboot the car to recover the ipod and Bluetooth functions. I listen to my ipod often so it seems like the usb port is the trigger to the problem for me. This happens most often within the first minute of the drive, but I have also had it happen after a full warmup and 30 minutes of driving. The dealer has the car now, but they have not been able to reproduce the problem. They are working with Honda Canada but they are not telling me what they are really doing and they are not talking to me directly.
The infotainment system and customer support have been the biggest disappointment with this car. The system has not lived up to the promised functionality (Carplay, Android Auto), and the menus are poorly designed and inconsistent. As for service, the dealer and Honda Canada treat each problem like it's there first timer they have ever heard of it. I know I am not alone with this problem, and being uninformed in the internet and is inexcusable. Honda Canada, please talk to your US and Japanese counterparts! Your current and future customers are watching and listening.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kc750
The system has not lived up to the promised functionality (Carplay, Android Auto)
You were promised Carplay and Android Auto for a 2015 Fit? HondaLink for Android, maybe.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:15 AM
5 Year Member
I sit corrected....

I believe what I meant was the 'ability to mirror my phone and it's apps' to the head unit. What trade name or generic system is that? Hondalink, Mirrorlink 1.0, 1.1, Carplay, Android Auto, are all supposed to allow mirroring.

Here's my problem...
- Honda said I could buy a cable and mirror a GPS app to the head unit and I cannot; especially since I have an Android now.
- Honda said my system would work with an iPod. From where I sit, it works unreliably.
- Honda said text messaging would work with Android. Each time I send a text message in the car, the head unit tells me I have received a text message from myself.

I'm getting my car back today. They've had it 3 times trying to figure out this reboot problem. They are asking me to provide a video when it happens or the exact steps to reproduce it. Even after I reproduce it, Honda will likely say "it's your iPod". In other words, it's not our problem until you prove it is. Somehow, this shouldn't disappoint me or reflect negatively on the equipment or the manufacturer. For what it's worth, I'd love it if Honda would hand the development of software for their head units over to a third party. They should stick to what they know best. My car was built a year ago and there are no software updates for the 'bugs' the system has. They should get involved or get out of the way.

Is there anybody on this forum that has discovered the combination of button presses or conditions that cause the 'freeze' or 'reboot'.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
kc750, mine froze up just last weekend and exhibited the usual issues. Unable to change sources from the steering wheel (although it beeped), unable to change any audio on the touchscreen, etc. I do recall EXACTLY what happened when this occurred but haven't tried to recreate it. I was on a phonecall when I got into my car and started it. The call 'Transfer' option came up rather quickly and I transferred the call to the car. After I was done with the call and hung up the audio came back on and that's when the unit became nonresponsive. You might want to try to be on a cell call before you start the car and as soon as the transfer option shows on the screen try transferring the call. I don't know for sure if that will recreate the issue, but that's what happened to me.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:09 PM
5 Year Member
When mine froze, I was taking the car on a short drive after washing it to dry out the brakes. I'd left my cell phone in the house. When I first started the car, the head unit connected with the phone via Bluetooth, since it was still in range. Of course, I soon drove out of range of the phone, and that's when I noticed the head unit wouldn't respond to any inputs from me.

I wonder if it could be related to the loss of cell signal from my cell phone.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Uncle Gary
I'd left my cell phone in the house. When I first started the car, the head unit connected with the phone via Bluetooth, since it was still in range. Of course, I soon drove out of range of the phone, and that's when I noticed the head unit wouldn't respond to any inputs from me.
The MyFordTouch in our (former) 2012 Focus would connect with my wife's phone in the house whenever I took the car and she stayed home. She was primary driver and I think there was a priority order, so that made sense. Sure enough, 50 feet down the street it drops the connection to her phone. My phone is paired. My phone is in the car with me. Does it connect to my phone? Not in a minute, not in three hours. Not until I went five or ten screens deep in the UI and forced it--IIRC it wouldn't allow these actions via the UI while in motion--or until I cycled the ignition. What a POS. It crashed (a lot), but I don't recall this case occasioning a crash. Made me want to smash my fist through it though. Never. Another. Ford.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:11 PM
Angry Audio Locks Up

Same thing is happening in my 2015 Fit. Touchscreen will lock up and no controls work. I recently had them replace the steering wheel audio control but occasionally the system still locks up and no inputs, neither the steering wheel control nor the touchscreen inputs will work. I have taken it to the dealer 3 times already and they can't figure it out. Ran the VIN and realized it was made in Mexico. WTF? I ran an experiment and noticed that the issue usually happens when the dashboard gets hot. If I use my sunshade during the day, then get in the car and use the controls, no problem. If I don't use the sunshade and the sun beats on the dashboard all day, and consequently the stereo unit gets hot, it locks up. The car is 3 months old and I'm about to say "F&^% it" and replace the entire unit with an aftermarket stereo. I could care less about the HondaLink, Bluetooth or the phone. I'm pretty upset that after having Hondas since I bought my first car, an 82 Civic DX hatchback, that I'm having so many issues with a friggin' stereo!

Old 09-13-2015, 09:04 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ncsusaf
Ran the VIN and realized it was made in Mexico. WTF?
Says Mexico final assembly in big print on the window sticker of every 3rd gen Fit sold so far in the US. Bet the radio isn't made there.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:41 AM
This thread is a great promotion for the LX!

Old 09-14-2015, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by ncsusaf
If I use my sunshade during the day, then get in the car and use the controls, no problem. If I don't use the sunshade and the sun beats on the dashboard all day, and consequently the stereo unit gets hot, it locks up.
This reminds me of the old joke where the guy goes to the doctor and says "My arm hurts when I move it," and the doctor replies, "Then don't move it."

Seriously though, that shouldn't happen, and I can imagine how frustrating that must be.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:05 AM
I cannot say I have experienced this freezing issue. May be a glitch in the firmware or configuration code within the SD card.

FYI, the head unit is a Mitsubishi NR-241UH for the EX/EX-L. Good luck trying to find schematics and tech info on it though. Its custom built for Honda specifically for their vehicles.

Quick Reply: Radio froze - 2015 EX