3rd Generation GK Specific Fit Photos & Videos Sub-Forum Threads for displaying photos and videos of the 3nd generation GK Honda Fit

Rottboy's WOP GK LX 6-spd and Garage Stablemates

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator
Black Friday Gift for the R8

Having purchased RS-R Down springs for the GK, the R8 was feeling "left-out"!!! Not anymore!!!

OEM 20" 10 Arm Double Spoke Design take-offs for the 2017 R8 V10

2 Front = 245/30/ZR20 / 2 Rear = 305/30/ZR20 New, balanced and ready for the 2019 season!!!

Have been eying this local ad for the past couple of months and on Black Friday, the seller accepted my offer of US$2,100 delivered, for the full set of 4. OEM factory 20" off a 2017 R8 with installed unused tires!!!

It's the first, n probably the last, accessory for my sunny weather driver!!!

GK springs should arrive later this week. Still thinking about when to lower. May do it sooner as RS-R Down drop is minimal.

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 12-02-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-27-2018, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator
Goodies delivered!!!

Seller delivered the R8's 20" wheels but unfortunately one wheel has clearcoat marks on the machined finish. Solution: $200 off!!! Final deal done at $1,900.
What's facinating is the "real" story behind the scenes.
Seller represented the company that sourced vehicles (supplied by Audi NA for promotional purposes) and prepared three new 2017 Audi R8's (first arrivals in NA) for the movie Fifty Shades Darker which was filmed in Vancouver 2016. This set of wheels were never mounted and used only as emergency spares. Tires DOT age is circa 2017!!!
Will bleed brakes on the Audi this week then mount wheels for the 2019 drive. Repair will happen when the car sleeps next fall. You never know who you meet on Craigslist. This one was good!!!

Defective wheel

Pitted clearcoat #1

More pitted marks

Stacked beside and ready for mounting later this week.

RS-R Down springs also arrived. Will squeeze install in hopefully by Saturday.

Looking forward to eliminating the bounciness of the OEM springs.

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 11-27-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
I doubt lowering springs will help with any sort of bounciness? You're just putting stiffer springs on the OEM dampers and limiting their travel...

REPLY:
Doesn't limiting the travel reduce bounciness?

You DOUBT, but really don't have any tangible reference.

Before this purchase I talked with the Japanese tech at RS-R USA in CA. He replied that the Down springs would greatly diminish my concerns. Could he be wrong? Other FF's have done this install with satisfying results.

Well, from someone who doesn't have a GK and who isn't installing the RS-R Down Springs, leave it up to me (an actual GK owner for the past 4 years) to give my FIRST ON-HAND impressions after I eventually do the install. You could be right.

If it's still that bad, I'll relegate myself to accepting my GK for what it really is, a super affordable BOUNCY sub-compact delivering great mpg. You can drive your S2000 and I'll drive my Audi and we both won't experience bouciness.

My personal results are right around the corner. Stay tuned!!! - ROTTBOY

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 12-03-2018 at 12:38 AM. Reason: Reply
Old 11-28-2018, 05:20 AM
5 Year Member
Did you get the down sus or super down springs? I'm looking at doing the down sus with koni shocks next year. I don't want a super low drop as I still go into the city. I'll be checking back for your review.

REPLY:
Got DOWN.
Read Stembridge's thread. He's the first FF to install RS-R on a GK.
Hoping to get this done by Saturday, in the meantime surf the GK Suspension Section. Numerous contributions from GK owner's who did various branded spring mods. Almost got Eibachs, but our Fit is used winter time and needed to minimize the loss of ground clearance. - ROTTBOY

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 11-28-2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:11 PM
5 Year Member
+1 on what mike said .... if anything you may become more bouncey. also looking forward to your review on those rs-r's

REPLY:
For $209 investment on these RS-R's, the challenge to dispel both your unsubstantiated views will be my pleasure. Working on the Audi tonight but may start the GK tmrw. Today's shift ends at 3pm n off till Monday. Stay tuned. - ROTTBOY

Note:
Stembrigde did the mod in 2015 initially with stocks shocks and the guy tracks. Suggest reading his thread as a primer for my impressions.

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 11-28-2018 at 05:35 PM.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator
Spring install delayed

Got called to attend a meeting in our WA. HO. Left Thursday morning and returned last night. No time to do the Fit yet. Bleeded brakes on the wife's SUV and on the R8 for this morning. Spent the pm watching college football. Alabama game was spectacular!!!!

Wife's truck ready for brake bleeding.

Used a Speed bleeder

Made sure I had ample protection before removing the tires. Still too young to die from a DIY mistake!!! LOL!!!

In the Audi, trim removal in trunk area as well as both wiper arm removal are necessary to access the brake fluid reservoir. Fantastic engineering design??? Bet that all dealer's service departments are loving this!!! They're charging only $400 in labor!!!

Used a speed bleeder and the required DOT 4 fluid.

Two bleeder valves on all the 4 calipers. Outer first then inner.

Its been two years since the last bleed. Old fluid (right) is still decent.

Finally installed the 20" OEM wheels with bolts properly torqued to 90 ft./lbs.. Am really liking the "newer" look!!!

It's football time for the rest of today and tmrw. Busy all this coming week with work but hoping I can get off on Thursday and Friday to make up for this week. If so, the Fit should have had its brakes bled and RS_R springs installed. Stay tuned!!!

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 12-02-2018 at 02:02 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator
Snows installed

Did'nt get days off this week so bled the brakes last night and installed snows. Forecast is wet snow this Saturday.
Decided that RS-R springs install will be done after this winter season.

Speed bleeder used. Makes this job simpler and fast for a one man operation!

First bleeding since new and the trusty Fit needed it! Dark, old fluid (right).

Snows installed. No hubcaps for this season. Wheels now have that naked, tough, stolen look!!! LOL!

Got off work early today and enjoyed my favorite Golden Ale from the islands. Not sold in Canada so get my stash everytime I travel to WA. State. Tasty, easy drinking and totally satisfying after working on all the household vehicles!!!

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 12-07-2018 at 07:52 AM.
Old 01-25-2019, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator
Pitted R8 wheel repaired

It's been a hectic two months at work and with the football playoffs, that left little time for other activities. Still havent installed the RSR springs. Most probably in March or April.
Got the pitted R8 wheel repaired which cost $225. Now looks brand new like the other 3. Will road the Audi in May. Can't wait!!!
Superbowl LIII is going to be exciting!!!

All pit marks GONE!!!

Installed Front Right

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 03-30-2019 at 11:49 AM.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator
Springtime Service

Driving to our WA. office tonight and after doing oil/filter and wheel/tire swap over the past weekend, time was right to replace the Engine Air Filter. At 37,800 miles (original from new), it was filthy.

Still haven't installed the RSR springs. April will be busy, so possibly by May/June.

Original filter did its job well. Spent time cleaning the filter housing prior to installing the new element. (Dead insects, dust, sand, pebbles, etc....)

Old 06-18-2019, 06:03 PM
Super Moderator
Mother's Day vs. Father's Day 2019

With constant bugging from the wife ever since we moved to our townhome 4 years ago, finally decided to gift her another appliance she has been clamoring for. Decided to spend the bucks for Mother's Day, and, as it was a surprise, didn't want to use her truck and sneaked away from home to pick up with the Honda. She was totally blown away and couldn't believe it was secretly transported in the Fit!!! Total browny points for me!!!!

An 8.5 cu. ft. freezer I found on Craigslist for Cnd$100!!!
It was worth it.
She rewarded my efforts this month (Father's Day) by chipping in with my sons and surprised me with an OEM car cover for my R8. I was blown away!!! Next year I'll have to think of something as spectacular so I can get another reciprocating surprise!!!
Would'nt mind a 2020 Civic Type R!!!!

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 06-23-2019 at 01:50 AM.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:47 PM
Super Moderator
Fun car finally on the road!!!

Despite too many things going on at work, was finally able to road the R8 last July 8th. Took this pic at the regular watering hole in Wa. to pick up my favorite Blue Wave Hawaiian beer.

After logging 200 miles on these 20" wheels, am pleasantly surprised that the ride quality of these Yokohama tires are softer than the original OEM 19" with P Zero's. Tire pressures are the same at 39 psi and the expected hasher ride didn't happen.

These 20"s didn't come with TPMS sensors. Keep seeing that TPMS warning!
Scheduled the install for next week at the tire shop. Already brought them my 19" set to copy the sensor codes of each wheel so the system will recognize either set as one.

Thought our trusty Fit would get some driving downtime, but wife's relatives in town for the next couple of weeks. It's her preferred shopping vehicle as parking is a breeze!
She loves our GK as much as our previous GD and is enjoying the art of manual shifting. Her friends all can't believe it when they see her driving. I'm a proud husband!!!

Still haven't installed the RSR springs. If this doesn't get done by Sept. it won't be done till after football season in Feb., 2020. The priorities of life!!! LOL!!!

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 07-27-2019 at 12:19 AM.
Old 01-03-2020, 02:57 AM
Super Moderator
Couldn't say NO!!!

My boss tells me another of his "affluent" golf buddies is trading in his 2010 Bentley Continental Flying Spur (1st and only owner since new) and the dealer was giving US$40k on trade in with only 8,000 miles (13,000 kms.). Offered US$43k and got it!!! With taxes in, totalled US$50K.
Never owned a 12 cylinder, so this will be the first and the last before I go to "car heaven".
My car connections have told me what to look out for (deteriorated control arms, non-functioning audio, suspension airbags, and many more...). With the low mileage, they said it should be good for another 50k without incurring huge repair bills.
The test drive was revealing. Smelled like new inside, totally quiet, gears shifted smoothly, tires were 70%, brake pads 80%, interior unscuffed, audio functioning 100% and everything else worked....
Bit the bullet and delved into the funds saved for the Type R and closed the deal!!!
Owner is returning from Bermuda in 2 weeks. Car is currently at a BMW dealership where we'll do a quick in n out for his new 2020 7 series. IMO, a total downgrade. LOL!!!
HELL, its my gain n his loss. I think???
It could easily be the reverse as I know fully well that Bentley's, especially those with higher mileage, can have pretty hefty repair bills.
Gotta enjoy life while I can still drive!!!
Will update once delivery is done in a couple of weeks.
BTW, IT'S another WHITE like all the others in the garage. Gotta be my favorite and the LUCKY color!!!

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 01-05-2020 at 06:40 PM.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:56 AM
5 Year Member
Where's the photo shoot with all 3 parked side by side?

REPLY:
All 4 including the GK!!!
Seller still vacationing and will return in a couple of weeks. Bill of sale and payment all done with his legal reps yesterday. He saves some tax on the in-n-out for the replacement vehicle. Ain't complaining since the dealership has agreed to do a complimentary detail.
Figure it should be in my possession end of January. Pics of the stable all together to be posted then!!!
Stay tuned - rttby

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 01-03-2020 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator
Bentley at home with the gang!!!

Legal reps of the seller called last night and informed transfer of registration is ready. Picked up the Bentley and went for a long drive to the US border to check out overall operation. A tiny bit of shimmy in the steering at 60 mph and that was it! Needs balancing for sure. Forgot to mention it is a "Speed" Edition. Instead of the regular 552 HP its 602 HP. Certainly can be felt, especially the torque.
Here are pics with the rest of the gang and in its temporary parking spot beside the GK. Eventually will swap places with the G550.
Having two batteries, each vehicle comes supplied with a Bentley charger. A nice touch for the engineers to think ahead!!!

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 01-31-2020 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
Beautiful! Congrats and hope it serves you well. It is crazy what kind of money you can pick up those kinda cars.

REPLY:
Only time will tell whether I did the right thing or not. At my age,I'll be gone by then! LOL!!!
As for these high priced luxury sedan, you're totally correct. Depreciation makes them drop like a 5 ton rock!!! The key is to wait and find the "right" one with super low mileage and a great acquisition price!
Time for me to enjoy the twilight years in comfort. Thanks for the kind words!!!

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 01-08-2020 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-08-2020, 09:17 PM
5 Year Member
That's looks like a standard CTEK charger with a Bentley logo on it, if you're ever in need of a replacement that is less expensive.

(CTEK is a big OEM supplier, the new NSX offered a rebranded CTEK charger as well)

REPLY:
Totally agree that its some re-branded charger. My go to charger is "Battery Tender" and wouldn't be surprised if VW got them to repackage to reflect a Bentley logo, Great observation!!!

ROTTBOY UPDATE 2/27/20
Bentley Continental GT's and Flying Spur's (MY 2004-16) come with two batteries. An AGM unit which powers the electronics and electric motored features. A 2nd separate standard flooded lead-acid battery is dedicated to the starter and their drive components.
Bentley Continental Flying Spur came equipped with a re-branded CTEK charger (thanks Mike410b) but it only charges the AGM. At least the manufacturer was proactive in limiting one dead battery resulting from being rarely used.
Purchased a CTEK MXS 5.0 and connected the permanent eyelets to the lead-acid battery posts. Both batteries are now constantly monitored.
Nothing more embarrassing than being stranded in a Bentley due to a drained battery!!!
Have been using Deltran battery chargers for decades but the this CTEK has added upgrades which are: de-sulfatetion and storage pulse charging.

Bentley boot

Bentley rebranded CTEK and CTEK MXS 5.0 chargers connect to each of 2 batteries.

CTEK MXS 5.0 doing it's job!!!

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 02-27-2020 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator
Subtle Bentley Update

Got this OEM script emblem. Comes standard on the 2018 MY Flying Spur upwards. Pleased with result!

Boot Lid 2005-13 1st Gen Flying Spur

"BENTLEY" emblem installed! Manufacturer should have made this standard from the onset.

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 02-04-2020 at 01:38 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 07:43 AM
Awesome stuff.. Sad that you went for the bently landbarge over the type r. To be fair imagine shoe horning the K20C1 into the GK with the money wasted on the bently. :P

REPLY 2/02/20:
Still have my deposit with dealer for the Type R. Been there since 2014. Postponed getting one of the first cause couldn't get used to the massive fake louvers on the f & r bumpers. Now that Honda tidied up the look plus the added brake and shifter upgrades, it's still tempting. If I get a good settlement for my impending retirement, it could still be in play. Problem now is only 4 parking spots.😡 Stay tuned!!!
Could always try shoehorning that W12 into the GK! LOL!!!

ROTTBOY UPDATE 2/29/2020:
Honda Dealer called Tuesday (2/18/2020) last week informing that their first allocation was assigned and a Championship White CTR was put on reserve. Increased my deposit from $1k to $2.5k and signed the deal this past Wenesday (2/26/2020). Decided for the color BOOST Blue. It will be the first BLUE vehicle (new or used) for me.
No retirement package yet😡. Will have to avail my unsecured credit line which is enough to cover the CTR's cost plus taxes, license and insurance.
The landbarge will soon have a speedboat to keep it company!!! LOL!!!
Delivery should happen by May.
Dealer called 2/24 that Canadian price released.
MSRP $43,690 Boosr Blue $500 Illumination pkg. $411 Freight: $1,780 Total = CND$46,381 (US$34,360) + taxes/license (Exchange US$1 = CND$1.35)
Am re-writing the Bill of Sale this PM to reflect that's what I'll be paying and nothing more. Will be adding interior illumination + rubber floor/boot mats. Delivery may be as early as April! Excitement level is building!!!
Result of meeting w/ dealer:
Moved me up to the first allocation. They threw in all the rubber mats including the boot area and 1/2 for all the interior illumination $411 ( my share).
Other news (for the Canadian market): a. GM mentioned that 2021 Limited Edition will be allocated by Honda Canada. Supposedly, buyers have to log onto the mfg'r site and register interest. b. There may not be another CTR ( for Canada) after the FK8.

As for my parking spot problems, it's largely solved. Owners of the parking stall right in front of mine are good neighbor friends who have allowed me use while they go home to Europe (usually 10 months). Will keep their surroundings tidy.

ROTTBOY UPDATE 3/26/20
Dealer informed yesterday that they were allocated 5 units in the 1st shipment. 4 C.White and 1 Black. No Boost Blue. Hoping that production stoppage at Swindon (started 3/20) didn't affect the 2nd allocation and that a B. Blue is included. The wait continues!!!

ROTTBOY UPDATE 3/30/20
Only one Boost Blue coming in dealership's 2nd allocation which has been at the East Coast railyard this past week. VIN # sent. ETA for delivery is 3rd or 4th week in April. Getting closer!!!
Decided to send R8 to my son in NYC. He will keep it together with his 997.2 GT3 parked at his upscale parking facility in New Jersey. The CTR will now have a fixed parking slot beside our GK and the Bentley will sleep in the R8's gated spot. The Residential Parking Logistics permanently addressed!!!🤙🤗

ROTTBOY UPDATE 4/07/20
Got notice from dealer noontime advising that ordered vehicle is on a railcar headed towards Alberta. ETA Vancouver rail depot is 4/15, then another week to unload and truck to dealership. Delivery should happen end April or first week in May at the latest.
Remember well back in 2014 when I joined FF. Learned a ton from fellow members who did mods that I never gave a second thought with my GD. Ended up spending over $4k on the GK for sound deadening, stereo upgrade, wheels, interior bits. etc...
May be headed that way soon for the FK8. So many goodies to choose from. Very, very bad for the wallet!!!

ROTTBOY UPDATE 4/16/20
CTR has arrived at local railyard yesterday. Delivery expected to occur end of the month. Getting close! Son #4 from NYC shipped me a set of ZL1 mudflaps, clear side markers, plus an under the spoiler bracket for front license plate. These boys are way more excited than me!!!

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 04-19-2020 at 12:56 AM.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:36 AM
5 Year Member
Nice! Don't often see a Guam badge. I lived there for about 4 years when I was a kid. I would like to go back and visit one day.

Reply:
Back in 1989, shipped a Toyota Previa from Atkins Kroll. Drove on the islands for 6 years with Guam plates. Not that unusual for a Hawaiian resident. Guam is nice but too small, areawise. People are great!!!

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 02-06-2020 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-06-2020, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator
Bentley carpet protection added

A Bentley option are a set of $4,000 sheepskin floor mats. Being the cheap fellow I am, spent less than 1/50th that amount and found these full protection logo'd mats instead.
Pretty good and fits in with the diamond stitched seats.

Last edited by ROTTBOY; 02-06-2020 at 11:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Rottboy's WOP GK LX 6-spd and Garage Stablemates