3rd Generation GK Specific Fit Photos & Videos Sub-Forum Threads for displaying photos and videos of the 3nd generation GK Honda Fit

Evilchargerfan's GK5 - Ballin On A Budget, Minus The Ballin Part (poor mans build!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by evilchargerfan
there is a big sale... its callin out to ya ... now would be a good time to buy
https://www.discounttiredirect.com/p...ns/4th-of-july

just to throw out a scenario for ya:

$480 for wheels
$163.88 for tires
----------------------
$643.88
-275 rebate (100 rebate for wheels, 75 rebate on tires, 100 rebate assuming youll pay with their store card)
----------------------
$368.88

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/b...ial-in/p/74406 - $120/ea

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/b...2-h457/p/19440 - $40.97/ea
Good gravy. Almost can't not buy it!

May have to postpone new bicycle parts.

​​​​​​​Thanks D!

Old 06-28-2018, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
remember Herb, you're doing this all in the name of better MPG, and it was on sale .... should anyone ask for justification

Old 06-29-2018, 12:51 AM
Previous car was all about expensive and rare jdm parts, it is refreshing to just have fun with it and not over spend =)

Thanks for the kind words. I'm a huge fan of cars that come with black roof's. I had to steal that idea and apply it to our cars, and I'm loving the look.

Koni's ride comfy, and sporty. I do predict one day, I may want something MORE sporty and firm. and ride height adjustable .... time will tell (IE, will a deal pop up to entice me to spend)
I know what you mean. This was the plan for my Fit as a daily…but now I’m slowly hesitating to winter drive it haha.

Well, it looks great. I don’t think it’ll work with my spoiler anymore. I wanted to do that on my EP3 but wasn’t convinced it would look good on blue.

Ah ok, thanks for the opinion. Been hearing a lot of people talking about them. I went from a pretty firm setup on my last car (didn’t enjoy the occasional rub), so I’m satisfied with what I have on the Fit, atm the anyway.

Old 07-02-2018, 01:39 PM
5 Year Member
Took the car up to vegas for the weekend and she did damn well, for a non hybrid I am satisfied with the mpg. keep in mind, AC was on the entire journey

san diego to vegas - 333+ miles
about 42 mpg

vegas back to san diego - 333+ miles
about 41 mpg

Old 07-02-2018, 02:33 PM
5 Year Member
no good road trip is not complete without a quick stop to Alien Fresh Jerky.

Old 07-02-2018, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
the topic of plug & play LED OR HID head lights, always a fun discussion subject (by fun I mean, a heated debate will ensue) on various forums. the majority seem to all agree that pnp is horrible in the sense that, you blind oncoming traffic. for those of us who cant afford the retrofit route due to lack of funds or lack of ability to do the actual retrofit ... I've found a happy medium. for a little over $50, the mini projector bulb is one damn fine alternative to doing a full on retrofit

the bulb itself, has a tiny projector lens at the end. the built in shield does provide a "cut off line" and shouldnt blind oncoming traffic:

when installing, the end of the bulb does slightly touch the oem reflector ring thingee .... at this point its unclear if there are long term effects ... or not

at 13000+ lux, they are almost 10x brigher than my previous philip x-treme vision bulbs

the next 2 photos will show a before and after of how the light shines down the street

before - philips racing vision
(1453 lux)

after - mini projectors
(13260 lux)

my impressions after a week of usage = its a damn fine bulb and I recommend it.

-its cheaper than a retrofit
-its easy to install
-it does not blind other people
-its way brighter than the brightest halogen bulb I could find
-because it uses LED's, expected life span should be about 30000 hours

for more info on the old bulbs, refer to post #11 or this link:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ion-150-a.html

Last edited by evilchargerfan; 07-02-2018 at 07:50 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:54 PM
5 Year Member
one thing I'd like to add, the cut off line is not exactly on par with a retrofit.

here is the cut off line on my other car. my wrx is running a ddm tuning v3 retrofit projector lens:

and here is the cut off line on the gk5 with the mini projector:

Last edited by evilchargerfan; 07-02-2018 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 03:30 PM
Thanks for the effort to take all the pics. I'm sold on trying this for the investment amount. If it doesn't work, OEM goes right back in and i can dump $400+ on retrofit.

Old 07-02-2018, 03:50 PM
5 Year Member
seriously tho, amazon ftw! if it sucks, its not hard to return the bulbs =)

Old 07-03-2018, 12:04 PM
5 Year Member
ebay recently had a 15% off coupon, these events usually trigger a spending spree of some sorts. SO .... I bought one of these ....

as always, will report back in a week or so with my impressions

Old 07-05-2018, 09:35 AM
Great progress!

I have not been to the Alien Jerky place in a long time. We usually stop at Mad Greek for grubbin'.

Old 07-10-2018, 12:29 AM
ebay recently had a 15% off coupon, these events usually trigger a spending spree of some sorts. SO .... I bought one of these ....

Nice man, I see you couldn't wait any longer. It doesn't boost the Fit to break-neck speeds, but (especially for the first few weeks before you get used to it haha) it's so much better than stock. Glad you went for it

Old 07-10-2018, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
yeah it was a combo of that 15% ebay coupon, and I found an ebay seller that allowed me to do a "submit offer" ... it made for a damn sweet deal I couldnt pass up. its nice to have some OOMPH on the highway at higher rpm's .... it almost makes passing up cars a little less painful, lol

I'm also pleased to report, it doesnt appear to have any negative effects on mpg. I was able to pull off 43.5 mpg going from san diego to monrovia (135 miles away). this is with AC on, cause it was hot as heck in so cal these past few days and this is on 87 oct. soon, after a few more tanks, ill give 91 oct a whirl and report back

Old 07-12-2018, 09:54 AM
Hey, would you or anyone else happen to know the part# for the plug that goes to the MICU in this picture? My sills only have bare wires, and instead of rigging up small pins to connect to the positive and negative maybe there is a way to see the subordinate components of the OEM sill wire harness?

Connector for adding auxiliary lights to the dome light circuit.

.... but the kit actually comes with a harness. Plug & Play ... FTW!

Old 07-12-2018, 09:01 PM
Those of you who know me in real life, know that I own a ton of alignment gear. But a fender roller is sadly one thing that I do not own as of this moment. I do have a friend that will eventually help me pull/roll my fenders, but in the mean time ... I took measures to buy myself some time

(disclaimer, dont try this at home)

I went as slow and gentle as I could, to avoid "bacon fenders"
lol pun not intended. Really good idea.

Old 07-14-2018, 12:43 PM
5 Year Member
^^^ as long as youre gentle.... its not hard to push the lip UPWARD and prevent it from chewing up tires

I tried to look up that harness, but all my diagrams only pull up general and mechanic parts. sadly, I am pretty useless on electrical stuff =\

Old 07-15-2018, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
the topic of plug & play LED OR HID head lights, always a fun discussion subject (by fun I mean, a heated debate will ensue) on various forums. the majority seem to all agree that pnp is horrible in the sense that, you blind oncoming traffic. for those of us who cant afford the retrofit route due to lack of funds or lack of ability to do the actual retrofit ... I've found a happy medium. for a little over $50, the mini projector bulb is one damn fine alternative to doing a full on retrofit

the bulb itself, has a tiny projector lens at the end. the built in shield does provide a "cut off line" and shouldnt blind oncoming traffic:

when installing, the end of the bulb does slightly touch the oem reflector ring thingee .... at this point its unclear if there are long term effects ... or not

at 13000+ lux, they are almost 10x brigher than my previous philip x-treme vision bulbs

the next 2 photos will show a before and after of how the light shines down the street

before - philips racing vision
(1453 lux)

after - mini projectors
(13260 lux)

my impressions after a week of usage = its a damn fine bulb and I recommend it.

-its cheaper than a retrofit
-its easy to install
-it does not blind other people
-its way brighter than the brightest halogen bulb I could find
-because it uses LED's, expected life span should be about 30000 hours

for more info on the old bulbs, refer to post #11 or this link:
https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...ion-150-a.html
Do you have the links for the LED?

Old 07-15-2018, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fitftw15
Do you have the links for the LED?
Currently out of stock but here they are on Amazon

Old 07-16-2018, 02:49 PM
5 Year Member
Strange that those have been out of stock, for so long. I wonder if all the Gk5 owners out there, just cleaned house.... lol

There are other kits out there that should work as good. The key thing to look out for is an included dust cover, otherwise you'll need to trim your oem one. here was one kit I bought, and returned

Old 07-16-2018, 03:12 PM
5 Year Member
So with yet another Vegas trip on my calendar, I wanted a better horn so I can honk at all the crazy people out there. This is what I went with:

For the install, I followed the College Hills Honda "sport horn" install video:

For anyone looking to buy these Hella Trumpet Horns, just a word of caution. Although Amazon says it "fits" our Gk5's, the front horn did require some fancy swapping of the bracket, and reverse orientation in order to make the horn not make contact with the radiator. One thing I am nervous about is the opening of the horn may be prone to taking in water .... as there is no way to orient the opening downward (unless the bottom plastic cover is trimmed). This is something I'll be keeping an eye on

Speaking of Vegas, 2 wks ago I got 41 mpg going home. This time around I was able to pull off 42 mpg, and I'm ktuned

Last edited by evilchargerfan; 07-16-2018 at 03:17 PM.

Quick Reply: Evilchargerfan's GK5 - Ballin On A Budget, Minus The Ballin Part (poor mans build!)