3rd Generation GK Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Swift Springs for the GK5 - Review & Pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 04:39 PM
5 Year Member
Swift Springs for the GK5 - Review & Pics

I've had my GK5 for about 6 months. First new car I've purchased and I'm quite happy with how it performs aside from the stock suspension. I used to own an EG hatchback with a full Tokico suspension kit which made it a blast to drive even with the stock motor – that is until I totaled it. Now that I've got the latest GK5 model Swift sport springs on my baby, it's like a throwback to the good ol' days of karting around in my Civic.

I chose to upgrade the stock springs on my GK5 for two big reason:
1. I couldn't stand the fender gap at the stock ride height
2. I really disliked lumbering around turns with a lot of body roll and feeling like I was floating/lightly bouncing around all the time.

I chose Swift sport springs for three big reason:
1. I didn't want to slam my ride, just wanted a modest 1" drop to close that fender gap
2. I've heard nothing but good things, including from the guys at the shop that installed them
3. Swift seems to have a good grasp of form AND function

I couldn't be happier with my choice of springs. Aesthetically, its exactly what I was going for; the drop was just enough to close the gap, but still appear like it could be the stock ride height. Performance-wise, they've exceeded my expectations. Floaty sensation is gone, replaced with a much tighter ride that still feels like OE most of the time while body roll feels reduced by as much as 75%. And that's with the stock dampers still on. I can only imagine how tight it feels with sport dampers like Konis (ask jhn).

I've had no problems so far with speed bumps, driveways and such, but I'm also conscious of taking things a tiny bit slower. I've also had no issues with the sagging fender liner in the back, but that could change if I ever install new wheels/meatier tires.

Now for the pics. Sorry I don't have any before shots, but I think we all know what the stock ride looks like. I took these crouched, with the camera about 3.5 feet above the ground, so imagine that the fender gap closes slightly from a standing perspective. Enjoy:

Last edited by WagovanMan; 07-26-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:41 PM
5 Year Member
Those Rims look sick on the white car... man part of me wishes I could have gotten a white Fit.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:12 AM
Great choice! I've ran Swift Sport Springs on both of my Evos and plan to do the same for my fit. I'd probably buy some spacers along with the springs since I will be keeping my stock wheels for awhile.

The stance looks great! Got a recommended place where you bought the springs?

Thanks.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:31 AM
Wow I didnt know these were available yet!!! Thank you for the link.

The drop on your Fit looks fantastic and your review of them is exactly what I was hoping for with the Swifts on our GK. Nice pics and thanks again.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:09 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by imhenry66
Great choice! I've ran Swift Sport Springs on both of my Evos and plan to do the same for my fit. I'd probably buy some spacers along with the springs since I will be keeping my stock wheels for awhile.

The stance looks great! Got a recommended place where you bought the springs?

Thanks.
Thanks for the compliment. There's a chance I'll add spacers to the rear wheels, but I wanted to see how it handled without them first. I've read people saying that adding spacers could contribute to understeer.

I purchased them online from Modern Automotive Performance, as I couldn't find a dealer near me or any other sellers online for that matter. Tax-free and free shipping. The link is embedded up in the original post.

Old 07-27-2015, 12:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by robertsmithfromthecure
Wow I didnt know these were available yet!!! Thank you for the link.

The drop on your Fit looks fantastic and your review of them is exactly what I was hoping for with the Swifts on our GK. Nice pics and thanks again.
Ya, I imagine I'm one of the first people to have these installed. You're welcome and thanks for the compliment.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:43 AM
5 Year Member
definitely keep up to date with out they work out. the things you were looking to fix are the same things we are looking to fix especially that body roll/floaty feeling.

Old 07-30-2015, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the review. I remember saying I felt the car was riding on marshmallows. I'm hoping it will at least reduce that impression I have when I'm driving it. I've just ordered mine.

Last edited by mikeDF; 07-30-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mikeDF
Thanks for the review. I remember saying I felt the car was riding on marshmallows. I'm hoping it will at least reduce that impression I have when I'm driving it. I've just ordered mine.
Good choice. It will def reduce the marshmallow effect. Post some pictures after the install.

On a side note, I've noticed a slight increase in on-board estimated fuel efficiency. About 1 mpg. No biggie, but a bit surprising since I'm driving a little more aggressively on this new tighter suspension. I'll have to manually calculate it at the next fill up to confirm.

Old 07-31-2015, 08:56 PM
Originally Posted by WagovanMan
Good choice. It will def reduce the marshmallow effect. Post some pictures after the install.

On a side note, I've noticed a slight increase in on-board estimated fuel efficiency. About 1 mpg. No biggie, but a bit surprising since I'm driving a little more aggressively on this new tighter suspension. I'll have to manually calculate it at the next fill up to confirm.
That's possible. I remember reading somewhere that a drop could mean better fuel economy (marginal at best of course). Was it at the Swift site or Eibach ? Not sure.

Just wondering, did you perform any kind of camber adjustment ? If you can please post a photo of the car from the back and down low. Mine already has a little negative camber and I'm wondering how much it will increase from the spring change. Not much I gather but still, I'm hoping it won't be too much. I want to keep my tires for the longest time possible.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:42 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mikeDF
Just wondering, did you perform any kind of camber adjustment ? If you can please post a photo of the car from the back and down low. Mine already has a little negative camber and I'm wondering how much it will increase from the spring change. Not much I gather but still, I'm hoping it won't be too much. I want to keep my tires for the longest time possible.
I'll take a photo when I get a chance. No camber adjustment was made/needed. Like you said, there's already noticeable negative camber on the back wheels at the stock height.

I'm sure that it's been affected at least slightly by the .9" drop in the back, but to a degree that requires correction? I don't think so. I like the negative camber in the back for stability reasons. I'll take stability over tread life.

Old 08-05-2015, 12:49 PM
Have you had any issues with scraping on the front end or under belly of the car. Like with speed bumps or pulling in on slopes?

Old 08-06-2015, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by marcn24
Have you had any issues with scraping on the front end or under belly of the car. Like with speed bumps or pulling in on slopes?
Even a modest drop like this one increases chances of scraping, it's just the way it is. Personally, I've had no issues with speed bumps at all. Driveways lead to occasionally and lightly scraping the front plastic lip (under the bumper), but it's avoidable with maneuvering. The bumper itself is still very safe on driveways, but I try to be very careful with parking blocks and curbs since they can sometimes be tall enough to make full contact.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:50 PM
installed Swift springs on mine too

WagovanMan's post convinced me to get Swift's after months of hesitation. I finally got them installed. For those who want to see a before and after shot and an early impression, go here:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...t-springs.html

Old 08-31-2015, 07:45 PM
Love how your Fit looks? I sent you a PM. I am in San Diego and want to do the same thing to my Fit.

Old 12-21-2015, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by shigeru
Love how your Fit looks? I sent you a PM. I am in San Diego and want to do the same thing to my Fit.
I'm in the San Diego area too. Did you have a place you were going to take it to have it done?

Old 08-30-2016, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
JUst bought a set of these. $200 bucks brand new on ebay.

probably won't even install them till next spring when I get new summer tires.

Old 09-01-2016, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
so with these do you need to to cut the bump stops or no?

Old 09-01-2016, 09:17 PM
you'd have to confirm for yourself, but i seem to recall you do not cut swifts.

i think the GE8 suspension forum is where i got that from

Old 09-01-2016, 10:14 PM
First post, been lurking for years. Put these springs, 16" Enkei PF01's and stickier tires on my 2015 LX about a month ago. Simple install and did not cut the bump stops. Rubs once in a while if I'm not paying attention. I'm still on the stock dampers, but plan on changing to Koni's since I read on here they have better rebound control than stock which seems to be the only issue so far.

Quick Reply: Swift Springs for the GK5 - Review & Pics