3rd Generation GK Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 3rd generation Honda Fit (GK)

Tanabe sustec strut tower bar

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 10:20 AM
Tanabe sustec strut tower bar

I see some vendors online selling this bar. Does anybody know if this will work with the Fit's we have here without modifications. Online they only mention GK5. Also, I never noticed this before recently but when I examined the engine bay the other day looking for the strut towers, they seem to be covered with a plastic molding on our Fit's. I haven't tried to take it out. Is it easy to remove and place back ?

Old 01-14-2016, 01:59 PM
5 Year Member
I think the way this car is setup is that a front strut tower bar really wouldn't do anything. You have the firewall right in between them which is a pretty sturdy portion of the car.

Old 01-15-2016, 11:31 AM
jhn
Originally Posted by bigbacon
I think the way this car is setup is that a front strut tower bar really wouldn't do anything. You have the firewall right in between them which is a pretty sturdy portion of the car.
I suspect this as well. Testing it would help but I haven't figured out how yet.

I might pick one up and install it on my car, but leave the bolt out on one side that attached the crossbar to the bracket. Mark it with something like tape and then go rip around for a bit. If there's any evidence of deflection, broken, scored, torn tape etc then it will help. If there's no tower deflection it's useless.

Old 01-16-2016, 12:08 PM
Get the sway bar first. Biggest improvement you can get aside from a good tire package.

Old 01-16-2016, 08:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gorilla
Get the sway bar first. Biggest improvement you can get aside from a good tire package.
Exactly. To me, the Fit understeers. The front strut tower bar would just increase that. I have a progressive rear sway bar on order and I can't wait to change the dynamics.

Old 01-30-2016, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
I tried to have this installed yesterday and the shop didn't know how to go about it. I purchased it from Axion Industries. The instructions was in Chinese/Japanese.

I showed the shop pics of it installed on a GK5 from online a couple of online pics but they weren't helpful. I really don't remember when I purchased this since it was sitting in my basement and I found it looking for something else. I was having this installed yesterday along with a Progress Sway Bar I received on Thursday.

If anyone has instructions for installation for this, feel free to post. I'll probably install this myself and it can't be that difficult. I'll work on it when it gets warmer out.

BTW: For reference purposes, I weighed it. The Tanabe Sustec strut bar weighs 4.8lbs (2.18kg).

Tanabe USA R&D Blog | Honda Fit

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 02-02-2016 at 11:20 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 11:42 PM
5 Year Member
BTW: Looking on J's Racing Japan site, they have a strut tower bar that doesn't seem to be directly linked/connected to the strut towers itself. It is...somewhat.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:16 AM
5 Year Member
I thought the strut towers are actually tucked closer to the firewall and hidden by a plastic piece. You can see in these threads where a mouse made quite the nest:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ware-mice.html

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...2061-mice.html

I think that's where the front strut bar mounts

Old 02-06-2016, 01:38 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
I thought the strut towers are actually tucked closer to the firewall and hidden by a plastic piece. You can see in these threads where a mouse made quite the nest:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...ware-mice.html

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/3rd-...2061-mice.html

I think that's where the front strut bar mounts
Thank you for providing the links to those pics. I'll take a look at the car tomorrow.

Old 02-06-2016, 07:14 PM
5 Year Member
Tried to install the bar earlier today. It looks like it is a little more involved than I thought. I removed a couple of pieces underneath the windshield wipers but I still could not get a full view on where the plates connect too. I didn't want to dig in to much further. I'm careful about these things. It may have only taken a couple of pieces more to remove to access the holes but I'll tackle this when I have a long day.

I'm very slow when installing things I'm not familiar with, never rushing. This isn't a five minute job, at least it doesn't appear to me.

Looking at the pics again, I can't see where the holes are from where the pics look like they should be. I'll look again tomorrow. The pics doesn't seem like you should have to go that far back, underneath the windshield wipers.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
It requires no removal of any hardware to install. It DOES improve steering feel and response. Less body roll. I haven't done any other suspension mods, and recommend it, particularly with how affordable it is.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DannyJ7
It requires no removal of any hardware to install. It DOES improve steering feel and response. Less body roll. I haven't done any other suspension mods, and recommend it, particularly with how affordable it is.
Ok! Any pointers or help? I had a shop look at it and I looked at it and can't figure it out. I'd like to do this, this weekend if possible. Any pics of yours installed?

If not, could you take pics of how you have it installed? In particular a close up of both sides where the bar is bolted too. Thanks in advance.

***If you don't know how to post up a pic, you can send it to my email address*** PM me for details.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
Ok! Any pointers or help? I had a shop look at it and I looked at it and can't figure it out. I'd like to do this, this weekend if possible. Any pics of yours installed?

If not, could you take pics of how you have it installed? In particular a close up of both sides where the bar is bolted too. Thanks in advance.

***If you don't know how to post up a pic, you can send it to my email address*** PM me for details.
Not a problem brother. I'll post pics for all.

Old 02-13-2016, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
So the black brace goes over the hole directly in front of the guard over the strut tower.
The bent portion actually goes to the outside of a brace under the front quarter. It doesn't actually connect to the strut tower anywhere. Let me know if you have more questions.

Old 02-13-2016, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DannyJ7
It doesn't actually connect to the strut tower anywhere.
Thanks for the mounting pictures. Odd that they can even call it a strut brace when it doesn't connect to the strut lol

Old 02-13-2016, 10:04 PM
5 Year Member
Huge thanks for the pictures. I'll try mounting them on Monday. Temps is going to be between 0 and -20 between now and tomorrow night.

The pics should be able to help out a lot. Accessing underneath that brace looks difficult though.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 02-13-2016 at 10:07 PM.
Old 02-15-2016, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
Huge thanks for the pictures. I'll try mounting them on Monday. Temps is going to be between 0 and -20 between now and tomorrow night.

The pics should be able to help out a lot. Accessing underneath that brace looks difficult though.
Yeah, it's not the easiest. I HIGHLY suggest putting down a bowl or a rag underneath to catch anything if you drop it.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
why does that look like a terrible design.

Old 02-17-2016, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
Finally got this damn piece installed. I couldn't have done it without you DannyJ7. Thanks bro!

Please take DannyJ7's advice on putting something underneath where you will be screwing in the bolts. You need a high level of dexterity to get those four tiny bolts in. Once you figure the first one or two out, you are good. Also, DO NOT try to install this when it is cold out. Cold hands + those tiny bolts = Bad Combo.

Originally Posted by bigbacon
why does that look like a terrible design.
It does doesn't it? I know nothing about suspension mods and such. It's interesting to see that more than one manufacturer mounts this in the same darn place. It looks cosmetic to me. DannyJ7 stated it improves steering response and feel as well as less body roll. I'm going to go with experience on this one.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 02-17-2016 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
Finally got this damn piece installed. I couldn't have done it without you DannyJ7. Thanks bro!

Please take DannyJ7's advice on putting something underneath where you will be screwing in the bolts. You need a high level of dexerity to get those four tiny bolts in. Once you figure the first one or two out, you are good. Also, DO NOT try to install this when it is cold out. Cold hands + those tiny bolts = Bad Combo.

It does doesn't it? I know nothing about suspension mods and such. It's interesting to see that more than one manufacturer mounts this in the same darn place. It looks cosmetic to me. DannyJ7 stated it improves steering response and feel as well as less body roll. I'm going to go with experience on this one.
My pleasure bro. I think it's a misnomer to call it a strut brace...its more like a torsion bar. Adds some structural rigidity to the front where it sorely needed some. For $100, it's a worthwhile mod.

Quick Reply: Tanabe sustec strut tower bar