3rd Generation GK Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the third generation Honda Fit (GK)

Best Off-Road Tires? 2016 Fit

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2017, 02:05 PM
Best Off-Road Tires? 2016 Fit

Hi All,

The Honda Fit is my dream car, and I'm happy to say I just got a brand new one. I am not a frequent driver. I got this car to haul bikes and camping gear to national parks for adventures.

Since I don't drive much locally (tend to bike) and I only put 8,000-10,000 miles on per year, I like the idea of fitting a big, beefy tire on the fit's tiny wheels for as much dirt road and campground grip as I can get.

My question is: does anyone have a tire recommendation? What's the biggest one I can fit on the stock wheel without rub issues?

Thanks,
Max

P.S. My upcoming plans are to fit a trailer hitch for a bike rack and a roof basket, if anyone has suggestions there. Thanks!

Old 02-04-2017, 02:38 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mdilthey
Hi All

My question is: does anyone have a tire recommendation? What's the biggest one I can fit on the stock wheel without rub issues?

P.S. My upcoming plans are to fit a trailer hitch for a bike rack and a roof basket, if anyone has suggestions there. Thanks!
On a 15'' rim (LX) this may work MINI MAG

For the hitch check this out 2015 Honda Fit Trailer Hitch - Curt

Old 02-04-2017, 04:11 PM
5 Year Member
Off road tires? You may have to research the amount of clearance you would have running these BUT... I'll just leave this here. These are tires used on some of the B-spec Fit rally cars I believe.

Victra R19 | Maxxis Tires USA

Old 02-05-2017, 08:13 AM
5 Year Member
My daughter LOVES her Fit, but is seriously considering replacing it with a higher vehicle (think HR-V or Subaru Crosstrek).

Why? Because the 'approach angle' is poor and she is constantly scraping the front spoiler lip at the parks where she walks her dog.

Moral: You need to consider more than just the tires.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:42 AM
5 Year Member
How steep is the approach angle? Is she nose diving in with 2 tires at once or going 1 tire at a time/diagonally?

Back when I only had a rear sway bar as a suspension mod for the GD, I would go in and out of alley ways and crummy back roads with huge dips in them while playing Ingress. Never had a problem with scrapping, just tripodding and waiting both front tires to hit the ground so I can move.

Angle of attack and how much momentum carried in are major variables of course.

The GK5 appears to have a little more ground clearance and less front overhang than the GD3 from what I've seen.

Old 02-05-2017, 08:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Hootie
How steep is the approach angle? Is she nose diving in with 2 tires at once or going 1 tire at a time/diagonally?
Can't say, I wasn't there.

Dad just gets to fix the damage when the splitter cracks...and observe the fresh scrapes when the oil is changed.

Now,

Old 02-05-2017, 06:22 PM
Generally the roads in the national parks (at least all the ones I've been in) are paved and don't need any special tires to travel over. Likewise generally you aren't allowed to drive off the roads. The campground roads (at least those campgrounds with vehicle access) need to be at least halfway decent to be usable by RVs and camping trailers; while the total clearance of a motorhome is usually greater than that of a Fit, they often have very poor approach or (especially) departure angles.

I'd think that all-season tires with decently aggressive tread would be sufficient for most any sort of off-roading that it would make sense to do with a Fit. As others have said, you're quite often going to run out of clearance before you run out of traction.

Old 02-05-2017, 07:24 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mdilthey
Hi All,

The Honda Fit is my dream car, and I'm happy to say I just got a brand new one. I am not a frequent driver. I got this car to haul bikes and camping gear to national parks for adventures.

Since I don't drive much locally (tend to bike) and I only put 8,000-10,000 miles on per year, I like the idea of fitting a big, beefy tire on the fit's tiny wheels for as much dirt road and campground grip as I can get.

Thanks,
Max
You seriously bought the WRONG car for what you want to do with it and the amount or how few miles you drive. You should have done some research prior to purchase.

If you want to play rally racer/ off roader you really should buy a set of Enkei RC-G4, Sparco Terra, Method, Braid, OZ Racing Leggenda or other similar wheel that's designed for that type of abuse. Then add some Pirelli or Black Rocket rally tires. Figure about $1500-2000 for wheels and tires.

You do realize there's more than bolting on a set of wheels and tires to making the car ready for off road driving? Just for starters, you'll need some skid plates. No the flimsy plastic cover that's underneath the car to make the car more aero doesn't count. It will rip off the first time you drive over something. Otherwise it's not going to be fun when you crack your oil pan on a rock and you're sitting waiting for a tow truck to come get you. Anyones guess on what custom skid plates will run or how skilled of a fabricator you are?

I don't know what your funds are, but you'd really be better off buying an old Impreza or WRX for a second car, since rally pieces are available from a ton of suppliers. If you can't afford two cars, seriously look at trading in your NEW car for Subaru Crosstrek. Again, a ton of parts available from Rally Sport Direct, RalliTEK or Primitive Racing.

Good luck

Last edited by Rob H; 02-05-2017 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:25 PM
The stock tires work ok on dirt roads. I've had my fit loaded up on several without traction issues. I'm not driving over 25, going over super bumpy roads (subjective), or hitting anything where clearance or the need for 4WD will be an issue either. You do have to strategically aim it to not bottom out in some areas. I used to do a lot of offroading in lifted 4X4s, it makes it easier if you can judge areas to not go or how to avoid getting stuck. For me sometimes dirt roads are simply a neccessity in order to get where i need to go, otherwise I wouldn't drive my fit over them.

Old 11-05-2018, 05:46 PM
Kinda resurrecting the dead here, but look into Team O'Neil Rally School videos on youtube. They put rally tires on ford fiestas, and steel wheels are great at taking damage and not destroying your car. I haven't had a fit in a while, but I may pick one up and do a steel wheel with FEDERAL G-10 as a multi-purpose rally tire for dirt and snow. Although,, a good tread on winter tires goes far too. I think awd and 4x4 are not needed as much as people think, unless its serous overland stuff.

Last edited by mrbubbles; 11-05-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:02 PM
5 Year Member
Mud??? Naw! 205x50-15 Nitto Neo's on 38mm spaced rims.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:09 PM
5 Year Member
Joking aside. I do the Mark Twain National Forest every year on my birthday. Last couple with the Fit. The above picture was going around a downed tree. I'm a big Jeeper too. It was a sizable mud pit. It should look worse than it does. I'm impressed.

Old 11-09-2018, 11:27 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by robs
Joking aside. I do the Mark Twain National Forest every year on my birthday. Last couple with the Fit. The above picture was going around a downed tree. I'm a big Jeeper too. It was a sizable mud pit. It should look worse than it does. I'm impressed.
how wide are those rims , any clearance issues ? looks like stock height

Old 11-10-2018, 04:46 AM
5 Year Member
Stock height. Don't remember width. Two years, no issues so far.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member
Try the Continental Extreme contact DWS 205 -50-16..Just a little bit wider same height as stock no issues at all. True all season and probably the best tire for our Fits period.