3rd Generation GK Specific Wheel & Tire Sub-Forum This sub-forum is for all wheel & tire threads pertaining to the third generation Honda Fit (GK)

Tpms - 2019

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 09:21 AM
5 Year Member
Tpms - 2019

A week after putting snow tires on my son's 2019 Fit, the TMPS lit up on the dash. It also displayed, "Tire Pressures Low." Unfortunately, the lower dash button I have on my 2015 is blanked out on the 2019. Not surprisingly, I couldn't find any reference to resetting the TPMS in the manual. I thought it would be explained on Page 107 - "TPMS." Not so. Looking online, I see that it has to be reset (recalibrated) using the controls on the steering wheel.

When I checked the tire pressures, they were all the same. I guess that's what you'd call a false alarm.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:32 AM
5 Year Member
Yup, the indirect TPMS has much to be desired and sometimes has a mind of it's own. After switching tires/rims, my '16 LX has sometimes gone for weeks without being able to recalibrate, then suddenly does so out of the blue.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:36 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bargainguy
Yup, the indirect TPMS has much to be desired and sometimes has a mind of it's own. After switching tires/rims, my '16 LX has sometimes gone for weeks without being able to recalibrate, then suddenly does so out of the blue.
Only once in 138,000 miles of driving two Fits did the TPMS report an actual problem, despite lighting up several times. A couple of years ago, it lit up while I was an hour away from home. The front left tire was low. I carry a 12v compressor and tire plug kit, so I pumped it back up. It held the air indefinitely, so I don't know why it dropped, but I'm glad it let me know.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:30 AM
5 Year Member
The solution is if the TPMS is not reliable cover it up with black electrical tape, Fortunately, I don't have that problem. Make sure your tires are physically at correct pressure. Nothing fancy here. I use a high pressure bicycle pump to top off the tires when required.

Last edited by wasserball; 01-29-2019 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:11 PM
5 Year Member
I pushed a lot of buttons on the steering wheel, but nothing gave me a TPMS option. I'll have to look online and in the manual. I think they tried to save money on the manual because it is so much thinner than the 2015 manual.

Old 01-29-2019, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
I pushed a lot of buttons on the steering wheel, but nothing gave me a TPMS option. I'll have to look online and in the manual. I think they tried to save money on the manual because it is so much thinner than the 2015 manual.
Are you sure you even have a manual?
When I got my 2016, it came with a " Owners Guide " which only covered essentials. The Owners Manual was on a downloadable CD. If you wanted a hard copy of the owners manual, you had to request one from Honda, within a certain time frame from purchase.

I never requested one. I do have the manual downloaded.
My observation was that the "Owners Guide" that Honda gave me, was a severely abridged "Owners Manual".

Old 01-30-2019, 12:52 AM
5 Year Member
On my 2018 downloaded manual they indicate that there's two different methods of calibrating TPMS, one through a dedicated button which is not on the steering wheel - its to the left of the wheel on the dash lower down and the other through an information display screen. Depends on which version of the car you have. None of this applies to me since I have a Canadian car, none of which come with TPMS (thank Ghod!). You should get the fulldownloadable Fit manual from the Honda US site and look this up.

The electronic copy of the manual that I have is in PDF format, about 600 pages.

Old 01-30-2019, 07:01 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
Are you sure you even have a manual?
When I got my 2016, it came with a " Owners Guide " which only covered essentials. The Owners Manual was on a downloadable CD. If you wanted a hard copy of the owners manual, you had to request one from Honda, within a certain time frame from purchase.

I never requested one. I do have the manual downloaded.
My observation was that the "Owners Guide" that Honda gave me, was a severely abridged "Owners Manual".
Yes, it does say "Owner's Manual," or something to that effect, but it's not good at all. My 2015 manual is thicker and better. The 2019 has more than a page written about the TMPS. For example, it's not good to ride on under-inflated tires. Kerp your tires inflated. The TPMS light will tell you when there is a problem. As for resetting the light - nothing!

Old 01-30-2019, 07:09 AM
5 Year Member
Okay, everybody, I give up. I have a 2019 Fit EX with the TPMS light lit up. All the tires have equal pressure, so there was no reason for the light to come on in the first place, but there it is. How do I reset it? All I found online was something like, "Use the controls on the steering wheel." If only they had kept the button they had on the 2015 Fit. There's a spot for it, but it's blanked out. I could make a 30-mile round trip to the dealer, but we have 8" of snow on the ground.

If you Google, "reset tpms on 2019 Honda Fit," you get a lot of links to dealer's web sites, but not much on resetting.

https://owners.honda.com/vehicles/in...itoring-System You'll notice the "2019" in the URL, but the video says it's for the 2018 - with the TPMS reset button. Amazing!

Old 01-30-2019, 07:32 AM
5 Year Member
It may be in the touchscreen interface instead. For example: https://www.dchparamushonda.com/how-to-reset-honda-tpms

Poke around the menu systems and see if it's hidden in there somewhere? If I have to reset the TPMS, for me it's easier just to push a physical button

Old 01-30-2019, 07:47 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
It may be in the touchscreen interface instead. For example: https://www.dchparamushonda.com/how-to-reset-honda-tpms

Poke around the menu systems and see if it's hidden in there somewhere? If I have to reset the TPMS, for me it's easier just to push a physical button
Thanks. I'll give that a try.

EDIT: I looked at the online manual - nothing about how to calibrate the TPMS, although it does say, "Whenever tire pressure is adjusted, you must calibrate the TPMS" The word "calibrate" is used only twice in the manual.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by SilverEX15
Yes, it does say "Owner's Manual," or something to that effect
Something to that effect?
If it says "Owners Guide" it's not the manual.
Again, with my 2016, it actually did not come with a hard copy version of the complete manual.
Even though if I remember right, the guide did cover the steps to calibrate the TPMS.

It does seem Honda has changed the process since 2016.
If you don't feel like driving to the dealership, and if nobody can really give you a definitive answer here, could you call the dealership? It's got to be a pretty common thing. Somebody should be able to give you an over the phone heads up as to how to do it.

If you had a 2015, then you know the process was pretty simple.
Hopefully, whatever Honda did, they kept it simple.
Once you find out....let us all know. It will help future owners.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:22 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fitchet
Something to that effect?
If it says "Owners Guide" it's not the manual.
Again, with my 2016, it actually did not come with a hard copy version of the complete manual.
Even though if I remember right, the guide did cover the steps to calibrate the TPMS.

It does seem Honda has changed the process since 2016.
If you don't feel like driving to the dealership, and if nobody can really give you a definitive answer here, could you call the dealership? It's got to be a pretty common thing. Somebody should be able to give you an over the phone heads up as to how to do it.

If you had a 2015, then you know the process was pretty simple.
Hopefully, whatever Honda did, they kept it simple.
Once you find out....let us all know. It will help future owners.
Yes, I will have to call the dealer eventually or wait till the weather is better and drive in. The salesman told me to come in with any questions.

Old 01-30-2019, 08:39 AM
5 Year Member
Old 01-30-2019, 08:45 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks, but that shows the TPMS button, which the 2019 Fit EX doesn't have. It's 10° outside, so this will have to wait for the temperature to rise - a lot!

Old 01-30-2019, 08:57 AM
5 Year Member
Did you watch the whole thing as it shows how to do it using the steering wheel controls...

Old 01-30-2019, 08:58 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by 2Rismo2
Did you watch the whole thing as it shows how to do it using the steering wheel controls...
Ah! Let me try again! That looks like it will work. Thanks.

Last edited by SilverEX15; 01-30-2019 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
Two More TPMS False Alarms

Both my 2015 and my son's 2019 lit up their TPMS warning lights. I checked tire pressures, and they were all the same, just the way I had set them. This is like the boy who cried wolf. Should I start ignoring the TPMS warning and wind up with a flat tire? Probably not.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:00 PM
If you made sure the tires are in good condition at the correct air pressure, its just TPMS false alarm or bad sensor.
Cannot speak for the 2019.
The 2015 EX which I also have works on passive TPMS. There is no TPMS device in the whee/tires. After you got all tire/wheels installed with proper air pressure, reset TPMS with a button at bottom of the dash, above the gas door latch. I forgot the exact process. You can search online or refer to the owners manual.
Read the 2019 needs to reset with buttons on steering wheel from a recent threat about TPMS reset. You can search for that.

Old 02-06-2019, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
I just press the tpms icon button to reset, and move on with my life

so far, so good, no bodily harm to myself. I'll report back if I get hurt

Quick Reply: Tpms - 2019