Raceseng shift knob

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 09:20 PM
5 Year Member
Raceseng shift knob paired with Buddyclub short shifter

Installed a Raceseng Lightweight Slammer shift knob (made of aluminum, instead of the stainless steel of the standard Slammer, which weighs around 600g) and wanted to share my thoughts:

Paired with the Buddyclub short shifter, this knob is fantastic.
I had intended to buy it for my S2000 but the knob was way too big for that car (felt clumsy and a bit silly).
Tried it on the Fit (where I had my old WC Lathewerks 1lb stainless steel ball shift knob) and it was the perfect "fit" - whereas the heavier WC knob was so heavy that I couldn't "feel" the proper engagement (resulting in the occasional slammed shift), the Raceseng piece was perfect for feeling when the gear lever was ready to engage in the smoothest way (hard to explain, but it felt like the heavy knob took out all the feel and feedback from the mechanism, although it resulted in a smoother motion).

Really enjoying my Fit now, even in commutes or the school pickup run. Each shift feels perfect, and where the knob felt too big on the scalpel that is the S2000, it felt appropriate and perfect for a little street fighter like the Fit.

Each shift is crisp and full of feedback, and I can feel a satisfying "ka-chik" when it slots in gear (to borrow the cliche, "rifle-bolt precise"). The Raceseng Slammer itself is a tad too big for my preference (at 2.5 inches in diameter) but the teardrop shape and light weight moved it above the Lathewerks knob for me (which was fantastic in my old BRZ's transmission with MTEC shift springs and the TRD quickshifter that really increased the effort for shifts, but was too heavy for both of my Hondas). The WC Lathewerks at 2 inches is the perfect size, but sits a tad too low for comfortable shifting (I had been using the lockout nut to prop it higher).

Have to say Raceseng has great packaging and presentation though: the shift knob arrived in a beautiful black, foam-padded box with instructions for installation and a microfiber pouch (useful for covering the shift knob when you park outside on a hot summer day). For comparison, the Moddiction Mini I ordered for the S2000 just came in a cardboard box, surrounded by bubble wrap (it does the job, just that the Raceseng box looks far more premium).
Unfortunately, you have to pay not just for the knob, but also for a threaded adapter (that screws on your shifter, which the knob then screws onto).
Opted not to pay the extra for the engraving (if I change cars in the future, easier to reuse).

A bit too large for the S2000

Raceseng Slammer Lightweight (0.5lb) - apologies for the grimy interior!

Raceseng Slammer Lightweight (0.5lb)

Raceseng Slammer Lightweight (0.5lb)

WC Lathewerks 1lb stainless steel ball

WC Lathewerks 1lb stainless steel ball

Last edited by daiheadjai; 06-29-2022 at 11:21 PM.
Old 02-16-2023, 02:19 AM
Nice, must shift real nice now.

Old 02-16-2023, 08:46 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ge808
Nice, must shift real nice now.
My God, yes! I absolutely love rowing this gearbox - the stock shifter box was decent, but the combination of the Buddy Club short shifter and this shift knob is sublime.