In CA, You Can't Suction-Cup ANYTHING To Window Glass!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 01:06 PM
Banned
Angry In CA, You Can't Suction-Cup ANYTHING To Window Glass!!

FYI-

Maybe everyone but me already knows this, but just in case YOU don't, the CA Vehicle Code makes it illegal (and ticketable) to suction cup mount ANYTHING AT ALL to your windshield or any other vehicle glass area. Like radar detectors. Like GPS units. All of which come with suction cup mounts for the windshield.

I just bought a Tom Tom One XL GPS and was about to try sticking the suction cup mount for it to my left side little front triangle window, and then I found the note packed with the GPS with the ridiculous CA law printed on it.

More "protection" whether you want it or not. They don't want you to be brained by your flying GPS in your next crash. So I had to order $65.00 worth of Fit-specific "ProClip" hardware to mount the Tom Tom to the left side of the dash.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:45 PM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
so ghey, sometimes i hate california

Old 10-07-2007, 01:49 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Hey please post pictures of the installation and a review of the pro-clip system for the fit please. The picture they show on the site isn't the greatest and I would love to see a few more angles and what it looks like from the outside, etc.

Thanks!

Old 10-07-2007, 04:42 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by smatts
Hey please post pictures of the installation and a review of the pro-clip system for the fit please. The picture they show on the site isn't the greatest and I would love to see a few more angles and what it looks like from the outside, etc.

Thanks!
I'll be glad to do that. You're right- the site photo is generic and doesn't show you anything about the Fit. I assume that the base of this system attaches to the A/C vent. There was a post a very long time ago that mentioned this system, and what I remember of it was favorable.

Review & photos to come later--- I just discovered my need for this thing yesterday, found reference to the ProClip products on the Tom Tom web site, and ordered the ProClip stuff on line. I assume that it will show up some time next week.

Last edited by manxman; 10-07-2007 at 05:08 PM. Reason: add comment
Old 10-07-2007, 08:30 PM
Banned
smatts,

I went back to the ProClip web site today and looked more closely at the Fit-specific mounting instructions for the bracket base. It mounts to the door pillar right beside the driver side A/C vent, and besides a form fit to the front and back edges of the pillar, it also uses double face tape. Looks really good. Just pop it on, attach the device holder to the base, and drop the device into the holder.

I had imagined that the Fit base would employ screws fastening it to the dash as with some of their other bases. If that were true, I intended to use industrial strength Velcro instead of the screws (easier to remove, if necessary, Velcro & adhesive than to remove screw holes in your dash). It looks like I/we don't need the Velcro. Will write a review with photos when this shows up.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:49 PM
Retired Moderator
Thats a crazy law??? Pointless..

Old 10-07-2007, 11:51 PM
Law says nothing about side window

Take a look at the other GPS thread on this board. The law says nothing about the side window, only the front windshield. Someone posted pictures of a Nuvi attached to the small triangle window. I have it attached the same way. In the event of a crash, it will fly whether it is on the window or with the pro-clip. I could see the vent clip being used on the center of the dash, but I am a bit worried of the clip that clips to the side post near the small triangle window. Isnt one of the side curtain airbags somewhere there?

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...uvi#post151177

Old 10-07-2007, 11:53 PM
Honda Fit Forums Moderator
Originally Posted by jake95825
Isnt one of the side curtain airbags somewhere there?
The Airbags come out of the side of the front seats and the C-Pillar I believe.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:59 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by jake95825
Take a look at the other GPS thread on this board. The law says nothing about the side window, only the front windshield. Someone posted pictures of a Nuvi attached to the small triangle window. I have it attached the same way. In the event of a crash, it will fly whether it is on the window or with the pro-clip. I could see the vent clip being used on the center of the dash, but I am a bit worried of the clip that clips to the side post near the small triangle window. Isnt one of the side curtain airbags somewhere there?

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...uvi#post151177
The note in the box with my new GPS said NO suction cup mounts are allowed on ANY auto glass. The suction cup thing that came with my unit did not look as if it would work mounted to my triangle window anyway- there was not enough angular play in the mounting stalk to let the GPS swivel enough to be able to see it from the driver's seat.

Even though the law seems dumb and intrusive, I think that the new mount will work much better. The side curtain air bags are not in the door pillar-
They are OVER the doors.

Old 10-08-2007, 04:03 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
i think the law might be so that it doesn't obstruct your view while you drive, but it's still just silly. i think we're not allowed to have anything hanging on the rearview mirror either.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:52 AM
5 Year Member
The ProClip mount is great! I have the fit specific mount installed. I use it for my PDA, which doubles as a gps when needed.
I also have a ProClip suction cup mount that is on a flexible stalk that can reach the little side window no problem.
I had that one first but the weight of the PDA allowed too much "bouncing" so I got the fit specific mount for the door pillar and am really pleased with it.
I did not use the sticky tape, it's just clipped on and it holds fine.

Last edited by kndlewis; 11-20-2007 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:34 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by kndlewis
The ProClip mount is great! I have the fit specific mount installed. I use it for my PDA, which doubles as a gps when needed.
I also have a ProClip suction cup mount that is on a flexible stalk that can reach the little side window no problem.
I had that one first but the weight of the PDA allowed too much "bouncing" so I got the fit specific mount for the door pillar and am really pleased with it.
I did not use the sticky tape, it's just clipped on and it holds fine.
Thanks for your post! You and I will probably sell a lot of these things for ProClip. Even if the provided suction cup mount for the windshield was not illegal, I wouldn't want to reach across the whole dash to use the touch screen of my GPS. Having it solidly mounted to the door pillar out of my face but in easy reach will work much better.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:40 AM
5 Year Member
The law is up there with the "front licence plate" law. Lets face it, if the cops wants to be a prick and pull you over, its going to happen. Just go with the flow and don't stress too much about it. If thinking about it keeps you up, then don't do it.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:58 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by FITrunner
The law is up there with the "front licence plate" law. Lets face it, if the cops wants to be a prick and pull you over, its going to happen. Just go with the flow and don't stress too much about it. If thinking about it keeps you up, then don't do it.
Actually, silly laws don't bother me at all- I break them as often as I think I can get away with it. I just reported THIS silly one so that CA members would be aware of it when they buy gadgets that come with suction cup mounts.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:05 AM
they should let all these JDM driver( ) with their little badges on their cars know.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:41 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by smatts

Thanks!
See the post above by "kndlewis"- that is exactly what I ordered. But my set is on back-order, due to ship 10/17.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:54 PM
5 Year Member
i bet it is "illegal" but i doube you'd EVER get hassled about it.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:04 PM
Banned
Probably not, but I think that the ProClips is much better than reaching across the dash to operate the GPS touch screen. As I said before, silly laws don't bother me- I beak them regularly as a hobby.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:08 PM
Banned
The ProClip bracket set arrived today and was mounted in about a minute. This thing is PERFECT! Keeps the GPS in easy reach and view with a swivel mount, and can be removed in seconds so that it does not serve as an advertisement to thieves that there is a GPS in the glove compartment or under the seat. The price for the bracket and swivel mount custom made for my Tom Tom One XL GPS was $76.00 from ProClip Mounting System *-*Choose Your Country. The bracket is made just for the Fit/Jazz, and the swivel mount holder is custom made for whatever brand/model of GPS you have.

It fastens to the door pillar just above the left side AC vent- one side slides under the rubber seal on the pillar next to the door, and the other side wraps around the pillar and snaps into the slight gap between the pillar plastic and the triangular left side window. It comes with tape to hold it securely to the plastic of the pillar, but the tape is not necessary.

I am a huge fan of this device. This is MUCH better than having to reach across the dash to use the touch screen, and it does not interfere with your view through the windshield. Will add photos when it is daylight and not raining.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:31 PM
LDO
I've been stationed in alot of places and I've got to admit, California is full of stupid rules and laws that make no sense (to me). The weather is great here and you can find just about anything you want right around the corner but you can have it.

I can't wait to get stationed back east where I don't need a front tag, tint pretty much what I want, and now, the dreaded suction cup law!

Sorry for the rant!

Quick Reply: In CA, You Can't Suction-Cup ANYTHING To Window Glass!!