Looking for fun roads to drive on.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 08:57 PM
Looking for fun roads to drive on.

Not sure if i should be posting this in Bay Area or Central CA sub forum. I'm down in Monterey/Carmel (fifteen minutes from Laguna Seca, not that i can afford to drive on it lol). Anyone know of any nice roads to drive on in the area? I know about Highway 1 down through Big Sur along the coast and i like driving on Laureles Grade RD between Carmel Valley Hwy and Highway 68 but i don't know what else is around here. I drove 17 between Santa Cruz and San Jose, which seemed kinda fun but i would prefer something more scenic and not a freeway. I don't drive fast so they don't necessarily need to be roads that are empty.

I'd also be interested in looking for clubs that Autocross but i feel like most of the clubs in my area are probably going to be guys with expensive sports cars.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:07 AM
5 Year Member
Calaveras in SJ, Mt. Hamilton, Santa Cruz mountains; hwy9/84, Alpine road, Kings Mtn Road, Padascadero rd.... these are just off the top of my head

Old 02-19-2014, 02:37 PM
Calaveras is scary but right down the street from me lol

9/35/84 are all fairly safe and fun to link/loop using Pescadero. You get the reward of PCH and ocean views at the end if you're going east to west which is nice to take a breather. Pavement on 84 is outstanding, i've been up there a lot lately. "Take it to the track" is cool but something about the purity of a driver, car, and canyon is something i'll never outgrow I think.

Double-laning however is something I did outgrow. I keep it safeish.

Old 02-19-2014, 03:08 PM
5 Year Member

Old 02-19-2014, 04:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Special
Calaveras in SJ, Mt. Hamilton, Santa Cruz mountains; hwy9/84, Alpine road, Kings Mtn Road, Padascadero rd.... these are just off the top of my head
pretty much most of them.

Originally Posted by Wanderer.
love calaveras.

Old 02-19-2014, 05:36 PM
Oh hey, i didn't realize i had responses. Thanks guys! Ill check these out and see how far they are from me.

9/35/84 are all fairly safe and fun to link/loop using Pescadero. You get the reward of PCH and ocean views at the end if you're going east to west which is nice to take a breather. Pavement on 84 is outstanding, i've been up there a lot lately. "Take it to the track" is cool but something about the purity of a driver, car, and canyon is something i'll never outgrow I think.

Double-laning however is something I did outgrow. I keep it safeish.
Double-laning? But yeah, I don't really go fast enough for it to be dangerous. I probably wouldn't go all out unless I was on a track. At least in my area, a lot of the fun mountain roads sometimes have pedal bikers and i really don't wanna kill someone (or myself). But I've noticed that a lot of the roads out here have higher speed limits than what comparable roads in PA would have had so it's still a lot of fun for me, even at the speed limit.

Old 02-19-2014, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by luciusad2004
Double-laning?
Using oncoming traffic lane to apex turns... IMO the canyons out here are not remote enough to be safe with that and too many blind turns. There's some i've run in Socal that it was kind of ok to do that because you could see around the turn pretty easy or they were super remote and the chance of oncoming was next to nothing.

Damn Miata guys in Socal used to piss me off to no end with that shit in Malibu

Old 02-19-2014, 06:14 PM
Using oncoming traffic lane to apex turns... IMO the canyons out here are not remote enough to be safe with that and too many blind turns. There's some i've run in Socal that it was kind of ok to do that because you could see around the turn pretty easy or they were super remote and the chance of oncoming was next to nothing.

Damn Miata guys in Socal used to piss me off to no end with that shit in Malibu
Oh yeah, lol, Nothing around me is nearly remote enough for that.