So-Cal Canyon Cruise/Meet!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 12:01 AM
5 Year Member
it's a pretty flat road, there is no real up or down hill. there is a small hill at the southern end. downhill being from south to north. but it's really only about 1 tight corner.
it sucks if you run into traffic infront of you. some people drive really slow on that road.
i might have found another road with more tight corners and less traffic/cops. i'll let you all know how it goes.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:11 AM
5 Year Member
Here is the turn I was talking about.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:41 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DynamicFit
By 505 do you mean 5 Oh. Btw peter you missed out on today's meet, it was pretty fun.

yea, dont where that extra 5 came from....lol......I wish i could go but had a tet party w/ the family.

Old 02-11-2008, 10:36 AM
5 Year Member
So I was talking to Sleepdeprived (Huy) yesterday and he told me they go road racing every 3 months. I think that going to a track day is a lot safer than racing around on the canyon passes although a bit of spirited driving every once in a while is nice. I think we should get a track day going in around 3 months from now. What do you guys think? Just giving a heads up in case in one in interested.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:30 PM
5 Year Member
track is def a good idea and as long as i gots the skrilla in 3 mos i'm wif ya, but just a word to the wise, it gonna be spensive if it yo first time out. membershiznip fee on top of track time $. oh and you need a helmet too.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:28 AM
Originally Posted by los_creeper
it gonna be spensive if it yo first time out. membershiznip fee on top of track time $. oh and you need a helmet too.
agree with you on the track cost and helmet... but i've never had to to sign up for any membership

Old 02-12-2008, 10:25 AM
5 Year Member
Can't be more expensive than getting a reckless driving ticket, or crashing your car into somebody else's or the wall. Seriously I'm not against anyone going canyon cruising, but I've personally gotten a reckless driving ticket and an hour of fun on a mountain is not even worth the risk of going through that again. Save up and fork out the extra dough and do it safely.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by thejroisgo
agree with you on the track cost and helmet... but i've never had to to sign up for any membership
Cost break-down for track day:

- Membership Fee: $50. I go tracking with NASA Pro Racing, they are very organized and strictly follows regulations (which makes it more fun and less headache to drive). The membership fee is for a whole year (365 days, not 6-8 months like other organizations). You get a lot of benefits with it: HUGE discount on brake rotors and pads (20-25%), rentals from Hertz, lodgings for travelers, discounted forged wheels, wheels & tires repair discounts, etc...

- High Performance Driving Experience (HPDE 1 - 4): $150 for Sat/Sun, $250-299 for both Sat & Sun. You get your own instructor for one (or both days), who will teach you how to control your car better and go faster.

- Helmet: ~$200 for Snell 2005 certified or better (my club discount, you can find used/overstocked helmets for cheaper online.)

That's only ~$400 - $450 give or take if you only go one day like i do and if it's your first time. After that, it's only $150 - $200 because you don't need to buy another helmet or membership.

80 mph Ticket = $396 + court fees and loss of time.

90+ mph ticket = $530 + same as above + driving probation

100+ mph ticket = $860 + Court fees + suspension + probation + possible license revoking.

MAKE YOUR OWN CONCLUSION...

These are my personal experiences, which is why i go to the track more often now.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:15 PM
oh, i've gone with speed ventures and speed trial usa... no membership stuff needed

but i don't go as often as you do

Old 02-12-2008, 03:38 PM
5 Year Member
who says you have to speed through the canyon roads? it's fun to just go through there at the speed limit. and that is free.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
oh man, sorry. i wasn't trying to like, persuade people against it. just giving a friendly heads up that was all. i really wanted huy to chime in and break it down exactly like how he did. i know i'm on a very tight budget, hence the purchase of my fit, so personally it's just gonna take me a while to save up for my FIRST track day. plus i still got more mods left to do, so after the initial start up fees, i'll be there after each lil goodie i install to test it out!

Old 02-13-2008, 09:58 AM
5 Year Member
I as well was not against canyon carving, to each his own. For me though the fun starts when you have the option of pushing the car to its limits, you aren't going to push the car unless you start breaking some laws.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:25 AM
5 Year Member
i'm still down for a canyon "cruise" tho.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:48 PM
5 Year Member
^ lets do it. i wouldnt mind the track, but c'mon our cars aren't that fast to reach 100 mph easily.. itll take a bit of time lol.. and i rather use that 400 dollars towards modding my car. but if i had the money i would track for fun

Old 02-14-2008, 09:31 AM
5 Year Member
Yeah, I'm down for a cruise whenver you guys wanna go. Just no racing. We could probably setup a bbq somewhere nearby with a shoot. Sounds like a plan to me.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:04 AM
5 Year Member
that good idea tom....there irvine park there....o'neil park there....you pick and both offer great place to do a photo shoot too

Old 02-14-2008, 11:16 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by azncarbos
that good idea tom....there irvine park there....o'neil park there....you pick and both offer great place to do a photo shoot too
irvine park would be perfect. i believe it's free on weekdays, and $5 per car on weekends. plus they have that small zoo there (only $2!).
there are some parking lots that would be good for a photoshoot.

we could start from the south, at the rancho santa margarita end (there is a supermarket/shopping center right near there we could meet at). take the canyon drive up all the way to irvine park (not breaking the speedlimit - but not exactly slowing down for the corners either). and have a bbq and photoshoot and then maybe drive back down through the canyon.
someone should bring a passenger that could take pictures of the trail of Fits following.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:12 PM
5 Year Member
cool. just fyi tho, i'm a be outta town this weekend and possibly next. and then the weekend after that is the mega. so sometime in march would work best for me. or not, cuz i don't HAVE to go with everyone else, i could always check it solo. but you know more fun more fits.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:24 AM
5 Year Member
maybe we should plan it for march 9th or something. the weekend after the mega meet.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:37 AM
5 Year Member
we did that while back a bbq and run....that not really good idea putting the next weekend after the other BBQ you should look around middle of march...

Quick Reply: So-Cal Canyon Cruise/Meet!