Spring 2014 Palomar Mtn. drive/lunch meet

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 07:19 PM
5 Year Member
Spring 2014 Palomar Mtn. drive/lunch meet

Going to start this early so that we can get a good feel for those that would like to join and plan the time/place better. The goal of this meet is to do a nice 2-3 hour drive from Escondido, through Ramona, up the back of Palomar, then down the front and end up back in Escondido. Meeting time would be around 9ish at North County Fair in Escondido. Lunch would be at Julian Pie Co. around 12, then down the front of Palomar and ending in Escondido around 1:30ish.

This drive would not be high speed, but would be on some of the best roads that So. Cal. has to offer.

My initial thoughts are for the second half of April or sometime in May.

Throw out your ideas and I will continue to update the OP with them as well as those that would like to join.

For those of you curious, this is the route. I have done it before with another group down here, and it is great. Only 2 accidents (one guy got overzealous during a straight and rear ended another car in the group, and the leader of the group rolled his Si down a bank - no injuries other than pride), that is the reason I noted before about the non-high speed nature of this drive.

Starting point is Highland Valley Rd. just to the south of Lake Hodges. That will take us to the 67 (Julian Rd), where will take a left and go through down town Ramona. We will than take a right on 3rd at the end of town and then a left on E. Old Julian Highway. That will take us to the 78 (also Julian Rd), that will take us to Santa Isabel where we will stop for lunch at Julian Pie Co. From there we will take the 79 north to a left turn on Mesa Grande Road. We can stop on the first straight for a group photo . Mesa Grande Road will take us to the 76 where will turn left. We will follow the 76 along the south east edge of Lake Henshaw and turn right on the S7 (E. Grande Rd), then take a left on S6 (S. Grande Rd) which will return us to the 76 which we will take back into Escondido.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:10 PM
Your description was a total blast from the past for me. I lived in Poway for 9 years and have been to all of those places man times. It is truly a lovely drive and anyone who drives it should enjoy it.

Seeing Palomar in the heading caught my eye and reminded me when i got to look through the 60" telescope at the Mt Palomar observatory.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:28 PM
5 Year Member
Nobody interested?